Scottish Cup 4th Round Motherwell v Ross County Sat 19th January (H)

Toxteth O'Grady

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

As for the negativity whilst it is undoubtedly the case a negative atmosphere does little to inspire players to give more believe me this group of players have got off extremely lightly with some moaning and booing at the end of the game in comparison to many a Motherwell side over the years. 

I was expecting some boos at the end of the match, but there weren't any. I remember being struck by how quietly everyone just got up and walked out. I actually think that is much more worrying than a chorus of boos. For me that means that the fans have lost interest.

I also noticed that only Richard Tait applauded the fans at the ends of the game. It would seem that most of the players have lost interest too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MFCL84 said:

He'll stay to the end of the season, but no contract beyond that. Let's just hope that we survive and that we still have a support to come back next season.

Hmm. He HAS a contract for next season too! Gonna cost us even more money to get rid of the inept cunt

1 hour ago, MFCL84 said:

I was expecting some boos at the end of the match, but there weren't any. I remember being struck by how quietly everyone just got up and walked out. I actually think that is much more worrying than a chorus of boos. For me that means that the fans have lost interest.

I also noticed that only Richard Tait applauded the fans at the ends of the game. It would seem that most of the players have lost interest too.

noticed this also and i think was down to last 25 mins where we accepted defeat.  so disappointed. 

Where to start with that?

Having no way of knowing the fitness of players and how we would actually set up, I have to confess to bring just a wee bit excited when I saw the line up. I fully anticipated it to be 4-4-2 with 2 wingers and us going after their full backs.

However, it became fairly evident early on that they were playing a high press and we were being overun in midfield (which contributed to the defence having to launch aimless balls forward). It was crying out for us to sub  a clearly unfit McCormack for someone who could actually help out the midfield and give us a foothold in the game.

Not for the first time this season the managers substitutions were utterly perplexing as they did nothing to address what the actual problem was. Grimshaw or Campbell (or even Gorrin) would have made for a much more sensible first substitution, especially as we were still in the game at that point. What followed after just compounded matters.

In short, the manager got the starting line up wrong and his substitutions did nothing to effect the course of the game. He cant keep on making such big mistakes. If he does we will be dragged back into a relegation battle and it may well cost him his job.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gaz7 said:

no of course not but if you cannot see how negativity affects players then you are blind.

new signings affected us because robinson felt pressured to play them when he admitted they werent fit. We were also on a bit of a high after winning derby in last game so players that then sat out would not have been happy.

is that enough for you to understand?

So let me get this right, the players are shit and we sit and politely applaud , Play up the well. Happy Clappers unite.

13 hours ago, Andy_P said:

We place so much emphasis on the Cups as a support and from the business side of things with the finances that can be generated that I do wonder if that defeat will resonate throughout the board of directors much much more than us "plodding along" league position, however much a chore it is to watch.

I'm not fond of the saying "we were beaten before we set foot on the park".  You are never beaten before you step on to the park but a team selection can make a whole lot harder for you than it needs to be, and that was how it seemed to me.  Like some I too got the impression that Robinson thought we would have enough about us to use this game to help people find fitness and tinker with his formation whilst still making the next round.

You look through that team and half of them trying to bed themselves back into the side to get match fit far less messing about with formations and deploying players in roles they've rarely played.   We were told Tait didn't train with the rest of the squad in Tenerife but goes straight in. Hartley has had one game back after how long out and even then he's hardly kicked a ball in a year. It took Dunne a few months to get up to speed last season and there's no evidence to suggest it's going to be any different this time.  McCormack was supposed to be a doubt until February but somehow is deemed fit start but can only last a half watching the ball fly over him.  Turnbull withdrawn from the area in which he's been most effective and having played with two strikers we suddenly decide to go with one.  It all just felt like too much at the one time and we paid the price for it. 

Whether Robinson  goes on to pay the ultimate price for it I don't know, but much of his credit in the bank will have gone after that.

An awful afternoon.

This is spot on, was saying exactly the same yesterday. When the hell anyone thought we were good enough to star with two players who barely looked fit (Tait & McCormack), whilst playing with two wingers when we’ve played the vast majority of the season with none, whilst not having any strength/presence up front, when we’ve played nearly every game under Robinson with 1 sometimes 2.......Put that together with a Tenerife attitude and you get beaten by any team that’s competent and to be honest that’s all that County were. We managed to make Van Der Weg, Draper and Graham look like world beaters when we all know they’re playing in the championship for a reason. Can deal with us being poor (let’s be honest we’re all used to that) what really gets me was the lack of desire, fight, application, most of them looked like they couldn’t give a xxxx. We were saying after 25 mins that Campbell and Main should have been on for McCormack and one of the wingers.......scunnered to the point that Wed will be a chore due to having a season ticket rather than something I do for any enjoyment.