Scottish Cup 4th Round Motherwell v Ross County Sat 19th January (H)

Toxteth O'Grady

Can’t see us even coming close to this, I’m pretty sure Kenny van Der Weg is still tracking back from a corner in Dumfries over the weekend as we speak so if you have any sort of wide player even if they crawl on all 4s your more than likely gonna have success. We’ve an injury crisis, suspensions, low confidence and just generally shite at football tbh so I’d be surprised if we get a shot on target. Worst case scenario we earn ourselves a midweek replay, best case you boys keep the goals under 5, we keep some of our dignity and we can all get on with our lives, sound good?

pulled from the match thread on pie and bovril, they do not seem confident at all. Fully expect to see Boly on the right, providing he is fit, with the instructions of run at him over and over again. Frear deserves a start on the left after Accies. Someone mentioned this being a good time to introduce Livingston after he played, and played well by all accounts against the same opposition in the Irn Bru cup, same goes for Hastie. I also seem to remember someone saying the county defence had a torrid time up against James Scott, so for once, attacking options seem fairly healthy.

Unlike some I have some worries about this one.  Three  weeks without a game I hope we are not ring rusty against the best team outside  the  premier league who have been playing each week. They seem to have had dip in form but in the cup that goes out the window.  Here's hoping we are right at it from the off.  Anyway  thank goodness the fitba is back.  The winter  shut down is crap. 

On 1/16/2019 at 2:28 PM, texanwellfan said:

Do we know if the cup game will have live stream on Motherwell tv?

On 1/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, weeyin said:

Think it's only league games we get.

Right now the MFC TV site is saying "Live video for users outside of the UK/Ireland, live commentary for all users."  for the Ross County game, so we might be in luck after all.

I would be disappointed if we didn't get through. 

We have home advantage against a lower league side, albeit a division immediately below us, and have had the benefit of the experience of playing against a similar standard of side earlier in the season in Queen of the South and indeed having had the opportunity to view many of their squad at close quarters only a few weeks ago in the Irn Bru Cup.

I don't expect it to be easy but I do expect us to get through to the next round.

We have tended to do well in the cup against lower division sides, gave Morton a real doing over last season and i’m more than confident we will come out of this with a win. They are really struggling just now so we have nothing to fear. 

17 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Aye really struggling... 
2gv7lt1.jpg

Look past the league position to recent  results, away form, injuries, fans stating they have been struggling for a good while with results hiding poor performances. We should have nothing to fear, there is a distinct difference in quality between the Premiership and championship. 

11 minutes ago, superward said:

They are actually struggling a bit. Not won the last two, horsed by QOS, not won away from home since 1st Dec, a good few first choice players out including most of their defence,  a red card last week.

We should be winning this fine.

I’m not saying we won’t win it, I’ve predicted a 2-1 victory to the good guys. However, the championship is one of the hardest leagues in Scotland and despite a few bad results the are currently still top. I’m sure they would take that at the end of the season. 

Most of us are old enough to remember many times we have lost out to lower league opposition in cup competitions. It is not exclusive to Motherwell as the FA Cup is proving this season. Be interesting to see how St Mirren fair v Alloa and Dundee v QOS. Hoping more likely to see an upset in those ties than ours. 

In fact one that sticks in the memory iirc was Ayr United at Fir Park. 4-3 it finished to Ayr. Early 2000 so going back a bit but it sadly sticks in my mind.,....

As a result anyone who is probably over 40 years of age will never suggest we are likely to win any tie. Those of a younger age will not forget Albion Rovers.

Still Ross C have a fair few injuries, plus red card plus Paul Paton is I believe cup tied. Their form has dipped recently but they are still top of the league immediately below us. So only 4 places below us. Probably be like playing St Mirren to an extent. If we focus and are up for the game then we ought to win through but being Motherwell never take anything for granted. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Most of us are old enough to remember many times we have lost out to lower league opposition in cup competitions. It is not exclusive to Motherwell as the FA Cup is proving this season. Be interesting to see how St Mirren fair v Alloa and Dundee v QOS. Hoping more likely to see an upset in those ties than ours. 

In fact one that sticks in the memory iirc was Ayr United at Fir Park. 4-3 it finished to Ayr. Early 2000 so going back a bit but it sadly sticks in my mind.,....

As a result anyone who is probably over 40 years of age will never suggest we are likely to win any tie. Those of a younger age will not forget Albion Rovers.

Still Ross C have a fair few injuries, plus red card plus Paul Paton is I believe cup tied. Their form has dipped recently but they are still top of the league immediately below us. So only 4 places below us. Probably be like playing St Mirren to an extent. If we focus and are up for the game then we ought to win through but being Motherwell never take anything for granted. 

Of course there are always shocks in the cup, in any country and of course as with any of the other ties we could slip up, i’m personally though confident we will come out on top.  Sadly i’m also well over 40.

Older posters will recall getting beaten 1-0 by East Stirling in 1963.  My first such memory.  Other embarassing historical losses include East Fife (1-0) in 1967 and Stirling Albion (3-1) in 1971.  Our history is littered with such losses.    Lets make sure it doesn't happen today.  

11 minutes ago, Bart Verheul said:

Who scored William Wallace??

Before anybody points out the obvious, I know he wasn't even born then?

Haha  - sorted now as is score.  No, but Jock Wallace was playing  for Berwick Rangers the same day when they beat their Glasgow counterparts 1-0 at Shielfield Park.  That result took the heat off us fortunately.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

Haha  - sorted now as is score.  No, but Jock Wallace was playing  for Berwick Rangers the same day when they beat their Glasgow counterparts 1-0 at Shielfield Park.  That result took the heat off us fortunately.

Sorry I couldn't resist. I don't normally correct typing errors but that was just too good on a few levels.

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

And Berwick Rangers had ex-Ancell Babes winger Sammy Reid sand-dancing that day. I'm sure he enjoyed that.

Far better 'Well sides than Robinson's have been humbled in the Cup, so we'll have to be at it today.

Remember after crushing  Rangers 2-5 at Ibrox  in 1961 we lost 0-1 to a team called Airdrieonians at Firpers in the next round.

Hoping my cup ticket has been transferred successfully to my season ticket card or there will be scenes :dash2: