2018’19 Game 17:St Johnstone (A) Saturday 15th December 2018

Yabba's Turd

I'm usually at the very least swivering whether to go to away games like this but currently I have zero enthusaism to go watch us in Perth. I think the last bit of positivity was zapped from me in the trips to Ibrox and Livingston. In the 14 or so years of going to games I can't recall us ever doing well up there. No harm to St Johnstone but results aside it is a pretty soulless place to go similar to the Tony Macaroni dome. Hate to be negative but it is what it is.

Nonetheless the run into the January break is very important, I still think we should be under no illusions that we are still part of the relegation battle until we can put some more breathing space between us and the bottom spots. I'd be looking for at least 7 points from this run over fixtures.  Something similar to the below would probably be acceptable. Again though our reliance on winning fixtures against Dundee and St Mirren is pretty concerning. Hopefully the boys can exceed expectations for the reminder of the year but it's difficult to see us picking up much elsewhere.

St Johnstone (a) - L
Celtic (a) - L
St Mirren (h) - W
Kilmarnock (h) - D
Hamilton (a) - W

In terms of personnel I think its quite clear we need to make some changes. The summer window was a bit of a disaster and there is a lot of boys that have been around for a while now and haven't offered enough.  My main concern in this run of fixtures is goals, this is something we need to look at in the transfer window but hopefully we can extend the gap rather than finding us in the middle of a battle going into the New Year. Unfortunately for us, Dundee look like they have turned a bit of a corner so I wouldn't be surprised if they picked more points in the next run of games.

2 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I'm usually at the very least swivering whether to go to away games like this but currently I have zero enthusaism to go watch us in Perth. I think the last bit of positivity was zapped from me in the trips to Ibrox and Livingston. In the 14 or so years of going to games I can't recall us ever doing well up there. No harm to St Johnstone but results aside it is a pretty soulless place to go similar to the Tony Macaroni dome. Hate to be negative but it is what it is.

Nonetheless the run into the January break is very important, I still think we should be under no illusions that we are still part of the relegation battle until we can put some more breathing space between us and the bottom spots. I'd be looking for at least 7 points from this run over fixtures.  Something similar to the below would probably be acceptable. Again though our reliance on winning fixtures against Dundee and St Mirren is pretty concerning. Hopefully the boys can exceed expectations for the reminder of the year but it's difficult to see us picking up much elsewhere.

St Johnstone (a) - L
Celtic (a) - L
St Mirren (h) - W
Kilmarnock (h) - D
Hamilton (a) - W

In terms of personnel I think its quite clear we need to make some changes. The summer window was a bit of a disaster and there is a lot of boys that have been around for a while now and haven't offered enough.  My main concern in this run of fixtures is goals, this is something we need to look at in the transfer window but hopefully we can extend the gap rather than finding us in the middle of a battle going into the New Year. Unfortunately for us, Dundee look like they have turned a bit of a corner so I wouldn't be surprised if they picked more points in the next run of games.

Definitely the concern is scoring goals. Take away the Ibrox debacle and we are right in line with all the other teams bar Celtic for goals against.  Considering how poor we have played this season  if we could improve on our goal scoring a little we wouldn't have to worry about a relegation dog fight.

We have been terrible at Perth for a long long time, but maybe we can use our tendency to end (other teams) bad runs and turn this one around.

I’ll take any performance that gets us a point or more. I’m on strong painkillers after oral surgery, so they’ll all look like pink elephants and unicorns to me anyway.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I’ll take any performance that gets us a point or more. I’m on strong painkillers after oral surgery, so they’ll all look like pink elephants and unicorns to me anyway.

The Well Society should consider providing oxycodone before every match. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fizoxy said:

We have been terrible at Perth for a long long time, but maybe we can use our tendency to end (other teams) bad runs and turn this one around.

Even the best team in my life time, McLean's title challengers, I seem to remember got pumped at McDiarmid.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Even the best team in my life time, McLean's title challengers, I seem to remember got pumped at McDiarmid.

Yeah. I remember going to a three nil defeat where we scarcely kicked a ball and big Sieb let a cross beat him at the back post.

4th September 1993. I went with my Dad.  I was 26. It was a nice sunny day and took us an age to get out of the car park next to the stadium after the game. I also seem to remember Ally Graham coming on as a sub. I do remember a bit of banter with Billy Thompson about him going on up front to try and spark a revival. He said he was willing to give it a go.

17 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

St Johnstone (a) - L
Celtic (a) - L
St Mirren (h) - W
Kilmarnock (h) - D
Hamilton (a) - W

Hard to argue with that to be honest, but I'm hoping we can take a point today. 

St Johnstone haven't lost at home since they were hammered by Celtic in October, have they? Dropped points against Killie and Hearts though, so a draw could be achievable.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:39 PM, Shaka said:

Il see your Pittodrie & Tannadice, and raise you Caley Park! Been to a lot of games there,its cold all year round being at the edge of the firth. But I remember a cup game in Jan where the moisture from my breath was freezing hairs on my beard around my mouth! Absolutely Baltic 

Was that a Monday evening 2-0 defeat during Craig Brown's reign?  If so, I remember it well.  The game should have been called off by the Police because the car park was a death trap.  A foot of ice/freezing water to wade through to get to the turnstiles.  Compare that to the effoprt we go through at Fir Park these days.  As if a long journey back down the A9 after a defeat wasn't bad enough, the road was icy and there was freezing fog. My worst ever car journey.