2018’19 Game 17:St Johnstone (A) Saturday 15th December 2018

Yabba's Turd

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Was that a Monday evening 2-0 defeat during Craig Brown's reign?  If so, I remember it well.  The game should have been called off by the Police because the car park was a death trap.  A foot of ice/freezing water to wade through to get to the turnstiles.  Compare that to the effoprt we go through at Fir Park these days.  As if a long journey back down the A9 after a defeat wasn't bad enough, the road was icy and there was freezing fog. My worst ever car journey.  

Yip! That car park was unbelieveably dangerou. Near crippled myself getting out the car lol

I briefly listened to some of the second half today but couldn't watch/listen to much else. On the face of it it is a superb three points, and our ability to beat teams like St Johnstone & Aberdeen and get a point against Celtic, combined with Accies, Dundee etc being utter shite, suggests to me we are comfortably clear of relegation. If we can just catch up with the rest of the pack...

Curious to hear how we played today.

53 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Carson is going to struggle to get back in the team when the time comes.

You can see why Robinson says he brought in him as a Number One (in anticipation of Carson leaving).

Thought we'd do well to get a point today, so delighted to pick up all 3 in a place we have struggled to find any recent form.

Sounded like our commentator got a hard time from the saints fans, which I think is the first time I’ve ever heard a st Johnstone fan.

He has a tendency to sugar coat our performances (magnificent), but it didn’t sound like they troubled us much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard that as well. They had to mute mixlr for a minute or two because one of the farmers was having a go at Lewis Irons hah. 

Going by the commentary only but it sounded like a decent performance which we largely controlled until they got back into it with 10 mins to go. Aldred, McHugh, Grimshaw and Main all getting plaudits. 

A win on Saturday and we are 12 points better than St Mirren with a far better goal difference and a game in hand. Given both St Mirren and Dundee have only won two games all season it would take some turn around in fortunes even this early in the season for them to overtake us. We would need to just about fail to win another game  all season. Respect to all those that travelled in such terrible conditions, hope they all get home safely, it’s dreadful here in Kirkintilloch.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Sounded like our commentator got a hard time from the saints fans, which I think is the first time I’ve ever heard a st Johnstone fan.

He has a tendency to sugar coat our performances (magnificent), but it didn’t sound like they troubled us much.

Wille Miller said we deserved the win, so I'll assume we did.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Not unheard of, you just need to look at the demise of Hibs a few seasons ago from a position of relative  'security'.

But extremely unlikely, we will take at least another couple of wins meaning they would both need to win half a dozen games.

48 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Decent performance??

Depends. Didn't play amazing football or anything, we were actually defending a lot of the time, but we came to a tough away ground, took our chances and defended well enough to just about get over the line.

If St. Johnstone had scored 10 minutes earlier I suspect we might not have got 3 points. We kinda fell apart in the last 10. McHugh, who overall had a good game, lost the plot, gave the ball away to a St Johnstone forward in front of goal, got booked and gave a couple of fouls away in dangerous areas. St. Johnstone also had a penalty claim. Gives you a flavour of the closing stages!

We had a decent wee spell of pressure earlier in the second half and might have scored a third, I thought St. Johnstone were very ropey at the back today, overall it wasn't a classic but in the weather conditions that's not much of a surprise.

Overall, we probably created more chances and deserved the 3 points.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

You can see why Robinson says he brought in him as a Number One (in anticipation of Carson leaving).

Thought we'd do well to get a point today, so delighted to pick up all 3 in a place we have struggled to find any recent form.

Gillespie has been better than Carson on this seasons form.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I thought he was partially to blame for goal v Hearts recently. Came off his line and was no where....but.....hard to argue with saving 2 penalties in a row in crucial games at crucial times. So maybe cost us a point at Hearts but has probably given us 3 points more in 2 games v Celtic and today. 

Delighted with the result today, especially managing to hang on after they scored. 

The key is to try next week and break this run of one crap result followed by one decent result. 

Large malt this evening....

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

First of all good result today well done to the team and the supporters who made the journey . Just on Gillespie I think he has done well but I blame him for the goal at Tynecastle he should have stayed on his line he was never getting near the cross . Let's hope he has nothing to do on Wednesday