2018’19 Game 18:Celtic (A) Wednesday 19th December 2018

Yabba's Turd

Obviously the toughest game any team is going to have in the league and I fear the defeat at Hibs just made it a lot more difficult with Rangers going top Celtic certainly won’t be resting any players and they are going to come at us big time. I guess try to keep it tight and frustrate the home fans is probably the way to go.

A chance for some minor experimentation with the expectation that we will get nothing from this fixture. I would consider resting Campbell and possibly one or two others that might need it. We have limited resources and will haveames coming up in the near future where they can be better employed. Not saying we give up on this one, and do not want us to take a hidingwhich could set us back in other matches, but we do need to think in terms of the bigger picture sometimes.

Avoiding injuries and suspensions would be good. And will Gillespie save a third penalty? Likely to have a chance.

If we're looking at the games against St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Accies as games that we're more likely to get points from and want to rest some players then for me you're looking at the 'front seven'. 

Given Celtic will likely dominate possession, the midfield, wing backs and strikers will spend a lot of the game chasing and closing down. Do we want to be going into a massive game on Saturday with 90 minutes trying to cover a huge pitch in our midfielders' legs?

Would a midfield three of Rose, Bigirimana and Gorrin be that much weaker than the three we put out on Saturday? At wing back, we have options on the left if not the right. Maybe a question of whether we rest Tait or Grimshaw? Up front, if Main is Robinson's first pick then do you save him for Saturday and play Sammon or Bowman? I would say go with both, but you'd probably want to keep Johnson in the team in case we do get a couple of chances as he's most likely to take one. 

Robinson himself has said that there's not a massive difference in quality between a lot of players in the squad so it wouldn't really be writing the game off so much as taking into account how huge Saturday's game is  

I'd go

Gillespie 

Mbulu Aldred Dunne 

Grimshaw Gorrin Rose Bigirimana Livingstone 

Sammon Johnson 

I suspect McHugh will play though and possibly we'll see Hartley come back in. As others have said, avoiding a heavy defeat, injuries or suspensions would be the priority. Anything else would be a bonus...

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

If we're looking at the games against St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Accies as games that we're more likely to get points from and want to rest some players then for me you're looking at the 'front seven'....... Do we want to be going into a massive game on Saturday with 90 minutes trying to cover a huge pitch in our midfielders' legs?......Robinson himself has said that there's not a massive difference in quality between a lot of players in the squad so it wouldn't really be writing the game off so much as taking into account how huge Saturday's game is  

Very much my thinking.  We're going to have  3 big games coming up within a week, and they're all ones which we're capable of taking something from.  So, use squad rotation and substitutions (injuries permitting) to rest some players.  The only question in my mind is will Rose be allowed to play, if fit; I sincerely hope he is.  Hartley, Gorrin, Bigi, Rose, Maguire, Sammon, Bowman, ATS and Frear could all potentially come in, if only for a few minutes in some cases.  Allan Campbell would be first on my list for rest.      

Yip the priority has got to be St Midden Killie and Accies games

As the Tic will be up for this big time and the way they tend to keep the ball and make opposition teams work I would save the legs of Campbell, Turnbull,Main and Johnston for the more important games coming up.

Also change of formation 4 - 5 - 1 for me and try to frustrate them anything we get out of this game is a Xmas bonus!!!!

Gillespie

Mbulu. Aldred Hartley Dunne 

Grimshaw Bigi Gorrin Rose Frear

Bowman

Tell Bowman to empty his tank then substitute him for Salmon at about 55 / 60 minutes 

3 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Yip the priority has got to be St Midden Killie and Accies games

As the Tic will be up for this big time and the way they tend to keep the ball and make opposition teams work I would save the legs of Campbell, Turnbull,Main and Johnston for the more important games coming up.

Also change of formation 4 - 5 - 1 for me and try to frustrate them anything we get out of this game is a Xmas bonus!!!!

Gillespie

Mbulu. Aldred Hartley Dunne 

Grimshaw Bigi Gorrin Rose Frear

Bowman

Tell Bowman to empty his tank then substitute him for Salmon at about 55 / 60 minutes 

Why bring sammon on he is feckin brutal, even a knackered Bowman is a better option than him

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

I doubt we'll see Andy Rose again. There's no point in jeopardising his move.

So we are letting him go at a time of his choosing and not asking for a fee from his new club (ok its in his contract) and I presume paying his wages for his last month. If that is indeed the case then I don't think its unreasonable to ask him to play if selected by the manager. If however his new club is paying him this month then fair enough they are entitled to call the shots.

Three years to the day since a Moult double secured our last win there. 

Any points would be most welcome, difficult task as per, can't see them repeating the Hibernian performance. 

I'll go for a 1-1 again with another Gillespie penalty save.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:34 PM, steelboy said:

I doubt we'll see Andy Rose again. There's no point in jeopardising his move.

McHugh has had a couple of rests recently so he'll probably play.

I thought one of the statements said that Rose was looking forward to making a contribution in the remaining games. Might be media talk and it would be interesting to see if he would be giving it 100%.

2 hours ago, daver said:

I thought one of the statements said that Rose was looking forward to making a contribution in the remaining games. Might be media talk and it would be interesting to see if he would be giving it 100%.

Even with the best intentions in the world, are you going in for a 50/50 with Scott Brown in Andy Roses shoes? Subconsciously or otherwise, he’s not going to be 100% committed.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Even with the best intentions in the world, are you going in for a 50/50 with Scott Brown in Andy Roses shoes? Subconsciously or otherwise, he’s not going to be 100% committed.

Depends on the player. Skippy still put in a shift for us after he signed for Celtic.

I'd experiment with the shape rather than the personnel. I really don't like the idea of 'saving' players, especially at a club that doesn't really have consistent performers or top players. You should make the next team sheet by putting a performance in this one. For me it just sends out so many wrong messages, as does writing off some matches in favour of others. Didn't many of the soothsayers write off the last Celtic match were we ended up getting a point before getting pumped off Livingston? Sure, if we are getting smashed at HT play it clever and save some players legs but every game needs to be competed.

I'd be thinking about putting something like a 4-3-2-1 out for this. Every player in midfield and forward areas for Celtic needs to be matched off. This Celtic team are not amazing creative if you close them down. However we give them space and areas to run into we make it easy for them.

11 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'd experiment with the shape rather than the personnel. I really don't like the idea of 'saving' players, especially at a club that doesn't really have consistent performers or top players. You should make the next team sheet by putting a performance in this one. For me it just sends out so many wrong messages, as does writing off some matches in favour of others. Didn't many of the soothsayers write off the last Celtic match were we ended up getting a point before getting pumped off Livingston? Sure, if we are getting smashed at HT play it clever and save some players legs but every game needs to be competed.

I'd be thinking about putting something like a 4-3-2-1 out for this. Every player in midfield and forward areas for Celtic needs to be matched off. This Celtic team are not amazing creative if you close them down. However we give them space and areas to run into we make it was for them.

Totally agree .....we are becoming isolated in the bottom 4 dog fight.....we need to be fighting for every point and try and put a run of more than 2 games unbeaten in the league and put some distance from the bottom two

Need to get in their faces like Hibs on Sunday....as YB says give them time and space....I fear the worst

1 hour ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Just saw Bobby Madden is the ref tonight...........totally fear the worse now

Is there any ref in Scotland people don’t have an issue with ? Let’s just concentrate on what we can influence and forget about how every ref is against us.