2018’19 Game 18:Celtic (A) Wednesday 19th December 2018

Yabba's Turd

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The bigger picture is we gave up 3 points without lifting a finger. It's totally unprofessional and that lack of professionalism is one of the reasons we've been at the end of the table that we are.

Rotating the squad like we did tonight is the kind cold, hard professionialism that we lacked last December - and paid the price with a miserable run of results.

The lineup looked like we were rotating some players because we have 3 winnable games in the next week and a bit, 2 against the teams we’re fighting relegation against. The manager has also been clear that the younger players need to be managed carefully. This is what many of us expected, and it makes sense considering our injury record.

The guys that came in have all had spells in the starting lineup this season, and Sammon played well in the last game against Celtic, so it was hardly like throwing in the kids. I’m sure none of those players thought we were throwing in the towel.

The players put in the effort and were organized in large parts, but dunne looked bad at left back and he had a nightmare couple of minutes to give away the first two. The third looked weird, was it deflected?

Going forward we didn’t offer much. I thought bowman was anonymous and did nothing to force his way into regular selection. Sammon worked hard and got in behind a few times (something we don’t tend to do) but was reluctant to shoot.

If you want to pay almost thirty quid to sit in the away end at Celtic park when we’ve been barely watchable this season (never mind any good) that’s your choice, but I’m not sure what anyone was realistically expecting tonight.

8 hours ago, Yodo said:

Anytime a team needs a result Fir Park seems to be the place they get it enter St Midden 

7 hours ago, Yassin said:

Apart from Rangers, Aberdeen and Celtic aye?

And Dundee, because of course when they came to Fir Park in November they certainly didn't need a win...  :huh:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

I don’t buy into any of the comments about rotating the team. If you want to be a top player you need to be able to manage two games a week nowadays. Look at the number of games in the championship. We should not have changed a winning team. 

It’s part of football these days and happens all the time, Celtic do it multiple times every season as do many other clubs down south.

Your not going to please all - certainly not on this forum. 

But imagine we played a full strength side and lost 1-0 but had injuries to a couple of key players ? 

The ones on here moaning about lack of professionalism, would be on here moaning about Robinson not learning his lessons from last December. I could almost guarantee it.....

Fwiw I agree with his decision to rotate the squad and have already forgotten about a loss v Celtic away. 

We now have to kick on and get the 3 points on Saturday. If for nothing else it will stop a few on here coming back on and saying the changes made v Celtic meant nothing and so on.

8 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Notice Dunne came off with 3 minutes to go. Injury?

if he gives away any more penalties he will be injured,one of his fellow players will boot his haw maws,he needs to stop feckinn about in the 18 yard box like bambi on ice,ffs he even tried to tackle with his wrong leg / foot :dash2:

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s part of football these days and happens all the time, Celtic do it multiple times every season as do many other clubs down south.

Celtic do it because they have better squad players and play more games, my quote was the championship, for example do Rotherham do it? For everyone that said what if we got players injured - what if we actually made an attempt to win and got three points? Added to that giving the fans something to shout about. We complain about no title race, well for sure last night doesn’t help. You won’t please me, because I will never agree that we should make all those changes to a team that won their last game. 

Obviously not delighted about the result, but it's not one I will lose sleep over. Nothing wrong with squad rotation, look at the state it left us in last season, not rotating, Carson Cadden Tanner Moult and Hartley all injured which rendered the whole of December a right off. Players get some minutes, keeps legs fresh, and those key players get a rest for three MUCH more important games before the turn of the year, which are all winnable, and provides us with a huge chance to gain some ground on the rest and get ourselves right out the mess with three at the bottom. Particulary when you look at the fixtures of the teams below us, Hibs as well don't have the best run into the new year.

Just watched the TV "highlights" and I don't get the Charles Dunne blame game.  I would say his penalty challenge was down to lack of match fitness.  For all 3 goals our defending was poor in a number of respects and stemmed from very poor off the ball work and being outmuscled when we did get close up.  Celtic got in our faces we didn't get in theirs. 

We move on.

2 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

The ones on here moaning about lack of professionalism, would be on here moaning about Robinson not learning his lessons from last December. I could almost guarantee it.....

The ones on here moaning and wanting Robinson out are pretty much the same crowd that was moaning about Barraclough, McCall, McGhee and so on. It's just how it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David said:

The ones on here moaning and wanting Robinson out are pretty much the same crowd that was moaning about Barraclough, McCall, McGhee and so on. It's just how THEY ARE.....

Fixed it for you :P

• Like 1

To be fair to other posters, who are perfectly entitled to their opinion, I am usually far too loyal to managers and the last to turn, even when the writing is on the wall. Its just the way I am.

Wasnt at the game last night because experience tells you its not gonna be very enjoyable.  However, a few observations....

I dont blame Robbo for rotating the team. It was the sensible thing to do and it wasnt the reason we lost 3-0. Much better teams have done that.

I think his choice of players to rotate in are up for debate however. The wisdom of playing Bigi and Gorrin in the middle in a game we are gonna be starved of possession and have to track runners is questionable. He could easily have kepted Mbulu in and pushed Grimshaw into midfield and went with one of the others.

Whether that played a part in any of the goals or would have made a difference Ive no idea. But to suggest we put out a team just to rollover and not compete is wrong imho.

4 hours ago, David said:

The ones on here moaning and wanting Robinson out are pretty much the same crowd that was moaning about Barraclough, McCall, McGhee and so on. It's just how it is.

Aye when managers under perform and drag the club down people will say they should be replaced.

I would say that anyone who watched McCall get knocked out of Europe by a pub team from Iceland and thought he still had it doesn't know much about football.

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just watched the TV "highlights" and I don't get the Charles Dunne blame game.  I would say his penalty challenge was down to lack of match fitness.  For all 3 goals our defending was poor in a number of respects and stemmed from very poor off the ball work and being outmuscled when we did get close up.  Celtic got in our faces we didn't get in theirs. 

We move on.

Poor decision making by Dunne in both penalties, ....agree  poor team defending for all the goals

roll on Saturday 

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

We move on.

don't know about a lack of fitness but that doesn't explain why he went with the wrong foot / leg that was just silliness,  only my opinion 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Aye when managers under perform and drag the club down people will say they should be replaced.

I would say that anyone who watched McCall get knocked out of Europe by a pub team from Iceland and thought he still had it doesn't know much about football.

And anyone who thought Michael Higdon was fat, and not good enough as he was on his way to win Players' Player of the Year knows even less...

10 hours ago, David said:

This has cleared it up for me ,

you have absolutely confirmed that the 'ones on here' have correctly recognised that Robinson should not be leading the club.

as those previous decisions were 100% spot on and perhaps even delayed through emotional blinkering

57 minutes ago, Brazilian said:

This has cleared it up for me ,

you have absolutely confirmed that the 'ones on here' have correctly recognised that Robinson should not be leading the club.

as those previous decisions were 100% spot on and perhaps even delayed through emotional blinkering

Not really. The truth is, if someone moans like fuck about every manager we have they're going to be able to say "ah, I told you so!" eventually, as every manager eventually goes in the end, and rarely of their own volition.

These are usually the same people who dismiss our cup runs because we didn't win the cups in question, and who are usually posted missing when we win a game. You've been around long enough to know the script.

8 hours ago, David said:

Not really. The truth is, if someone moans like fuck about every manager we have they're going to be able to say "ah, I told you so!" eventually, as every manager eventually goes in the end, and rarely of their own volition.

These are usually the same people who dismiss our cup runs because we didn't win the cups in question, and who are usually posted missing when we win a game. You've been around long enough to know the script.

Very true, every manager has a sell by date, that does not make them a poor manager. Steve Clarke who seems to be loved on here was sacked by both Reading and West Brom, clearly not fit to manage. I can pretty much guarantee whoever replaces Robinson will get the same treatment shortly after the honeymoon period is over.

• Like 1