2018’19 Game 19:St Mirren (H) Saturday 22nd December 2018

Yabba's Turd

5 hours ago, smiddy said:

never tries to win 50/50 balls

I commented on this some weeks ago. May have been the St Johnstone home defeat. He shirked several 50/50 tackles and at that point he lost my backing. In our position we need 11 triers/battlers on the pitch. TBH I was surprised Robbo picked him again. That said I wasn't there today and I'm not blaming him for today's debacle. Up until today many saw him as a potential saviour, maybe because he wasn't playing, but I suspect thats now changing.

It seems clear that when teams like St Mirren come to Fir Park they know they can create a shitfest, and as we have not one creative player in our squad, we will never break them down, so as time goes on they might pick us off.

That worked perfectly for St Mirren today. I don’t remember one meaningful attack before their 68th minute goal. They could’ve had another late on.

Meanwhile we huff and puff, but hardly create a thing, you look to the bench and don’t see anybody who could change it.

2 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

I think Keith Lasley nailed it we were slow and second to every challenge, think we need about 5 players recruited for January, definitely two forward men and someone that can put a decent ball in, think goalkeeper is the only safe position in our squad...

I wouldn't let this clown near a penny.  He should be hunted along with Lasley. We need a fresh approach and that includes Lasley also. 

Wasnt at the game today and only have mixlr commentary to rely on so I wont comment on the performance of individual players.

Cant really argue with the starting 11  given the St Johnstone performance. However, our substitutions and timing of them seemed very strange.

Im willing to cut the manager more slack than most, but his subs made no sense to me and appear to have cost us the game.

Its not the first time this season that its happened and the 4 up top at the end? Desperate stuff.

I still dont think he will be sacked and Im still with him for now. But he has heaped a whole lot of unecessary pressure on himself this week and if we dont get something in the next 2 games and St Mirren and Dundee somehow get more points on the board, then he will be under serious pressure going into the winter break.

To an extent what worries me the most is that performance was more akin to Livi away than any other recent home performance. We had a lot of the ball but did the square root of bugger all. The amount of times we got in and around the edge of their box and yet again the final ball was woeful. St Mirren defended well but then we let them. 

There was little in the game which makes all the more infuriating . You could see why St Mirren are one of the poorer teams in the league. Even for their goal they get a break and Gillespie’s save breaks between 2 of our defenders straight to Jackson to tap into the net.  

On to the negatives of which there were many. The team as a whole but mainly midfield and up front. This was a crucial home game but I saw no urgency or dynamism until they scored. I expected (wrongly) that the team would be right up for this. The front 2 could have played all day. I like Johnson but that was a poor game from him. Main again missing from point blank range. 

But what cost the game was the substitute. And that is on the Managers door fair and square. As has been mentioned the defence did not seem to know or understand what the formation was. How can that be. And for Bigi. Nice guy as everyone has said and decent enough footballer every now and then, but has proved time and again he cannot defend and has costs us quite a few goals as a result. I almost understand why they did it. But even with hindsight it was a poor sub. After that chasing the game. 

Crucial 2 games coming up. 4 points is minimum and less than that and we move onto Ross County in cup. An adverse result in that and it is time up for Robbo. I don’t think we have the money to pay him off so I hope he can turn it around. If we get a decent run in the cup and avoid relegation then to be fair to him that is pretty much his remit. 

A few things.

1. Tactics against a team whom were obviously going to sit in, we’re woeful. No width or people breaking lines to create space - how could we have failed to realize that? 

2. Campbell is worse than a man short in the middle of the park at the moment and needs a rest. 

3. Less than 4 points from the next two games and we seriously need to consider a managerial change in and a playing squad overhaul In January. 

4. Please employ a decent commentator for the club services. People are paying to listen to that dross/nonsensical ranting. There is no description of any play whatsoever.

and I forgot to add. Bigirimana should be omitted from squads until we can offload him in Jan. The absolutely pathetic attempt at winning the ball before the goal yesterday was unacceptable from a professional player.

11 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I commented on this some weeks ago. May have been the St Johnstone home defeat. He shirked several 50/50 tackles and at that point he lost my backing. In our position we need 11 triers/battlers on the pitch. TBH I was surprised Robbo picked him again. That said I wasn't there today and I'm not blaming him for today's debacle. Up until today many saw him as a potential saviour, maybe because he wasn't playing, but I suspect thats now changing.

yip I noticed weeks ago he wasn't the man you wanted in the trenches, SR brought him on to open up the ST m defence, but unfortunately when you do that we need one of our players to mark for him, waste of space in my opinion 

Dust's settled so here's my opinion on yesterdays debacle. We played players in positions they can't cope with and i'd defy anybody to tell me what system we played or what the tactics were. It has been the same every game this season. We had a couple of decent results against the old firm and Aberdeen but can't beat the teams around us at home. Something is going on in the dressing room the fans are not hearing about . No way can a team play like that without a lot of disruption amongst the players. Been a fan long enough not to get too upset about the long term situation but that yesterday was a total disgrace for professional footballers to have dished up to home fans. 

10 hours ago, Kmac said:

2. Campbell is worse than a man short in the middle of the park at the moment and needs a rest. 

3. Less than 4 points from the next two games and we seriously need to consider a managerial change in and a playing squad overhaul In January.

Agree with both points.  Campbell should have been rested by now but hasn't been and thats down to the management.  He should be left out of the squad for the next 2 games. 

Before yesterday I had thought that 5 points would be a decent but minimum haul from our next 3 games.  We now need points from both the Kilmarnock and Accies games.  Will we get them?  Thats anybody's guess, but Stephen Robinson has put himself under unnecessary pressure after yesterday's result.  Lose the next two and he'll be deep s**t. 

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agree with both points.  Campbell should have been rested by now but hasn't been and thats down to the management.  He should be left out of the squad for the next 2 games. 

Before yesterday I had thought that 5 points would be a decent but minimum haul from our next 3 games.  We now need points from both the Kilmarnock and Accies games.  Will we get them?  Thats anybody's guess, but Stephen Robinson has put himself under unnecessary pressure after yesterday's result.  Lose the next two and he'll be deep s**t. 

And i’m pretty sure he is aware of that, Lasley obviously did the post match interview yesterday but i’m sure Robinson would not have sugar coated it himself. He knows that was not even close to being good enough and it was one of those that see managers sacked on the back of. For me he’s going to have to pull two or three signings out of the bag in January that are slightly more high profile with a little more quality. Supporters are losing patience, even those around me who are normally pretty easy going were screaming for the ball to be played down on the ground on Saturday. Needs to be a lot better over the next couple games even if it’s just starting with the actual performances. I would  take a couple of draws at this point.

I feel I say this all the time but that is one of the worst games iv been at, left thinking i might not bother going on boxing day which isn't like me. I liked Robbo whoever I feel that is a result of the 2 cup finals. I think January is important get rid of guys like ATS and Sammon. I would even let Bowman go as I think we could get better. I know for every last min Celtic equaliser there is a St Mitten at home but that added with Livi away recently is a killer punch. 

24 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Saturday was awful but I will still be there Boxing Day. Needs  to be a big improvement for sure but it’s the game or sitting around with the in laws while they talk about their medical conditions.

A real debacle on Saturday which I thankfully missed.  However I'll be at the game on Boxing Day with our usual group and at Hamilton on Saturday.  Right now the team needs everybody's backing, irrespective of whether they've earned it or not.   

3 hours ago, 1991 said:

I know for every last min Celtic equaliser there is a St Mitten at home but that added with Livi away recently is a killer punch. 

That’s why we keep going back!

To be fair while on paper losing at Livi is a shocker, the game isn’t played on paper or grass in this case. They are pretty strong at home.

Speaking of which, I’ll be going to Hamilton more in hope than expectation, I’ve yet to see an outbreak of football on that pitch, and we’ve gone there with a team that wanted to play football in the past. Usually Hamilton drag teams down to their level, this time they’ll need to meet us halfway.

17 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Just watched the highlights and Bigi's "challenge" leading up to the goal.... As someone else stated, he became a better player by not playing. 

Even playing offensively, uou can't be as lightweight as that. 

But since we all know he's as lightweight as that, perhaps his teammates should've been making sure he wasn't having to act as our last line of defence.

5 minutes ago, numpty said:

I'm glad you weren't the manager when Davie Cooper played for us.

davie cooper could do his stuff in the offensive side of the game, which made up for his lack of defensive duties,and bigi couldn't as they say "lace/tie his boots 

just my opinion as I say 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, numpty said:

But since we all know he's as lightweight as that, perhaps his teammates should've been making sure he wasn't having to act as our last line of defence.

I'm with Smiddy on this.  If a player is exceptionally good in an attacking/creative sense such as your Davie Coopers, Bobby Russells or Pat Quinns  then yes its not unreasonable to ask less gifted but more "solid" collueages to cover for them.  You could build a midfield or indeed team around these players.  Without being disrespectful, Bigi is nowhere near that class.  By all accounts he's a thoroughly decent guy but there's no way we should build a midfield around him.  Despite us playing "hoofball" there's been quite a few occasions this season where we've tried to play a bit of football through Bigi but he simply hasn't performed in an attacking sense.