2018'19 Game 20: Kilmarnock (H) Wednesday 26th December 2018

Kmcalpin

All depends what Motherwell turns up and whether the manager can get the team selection / substitutions right. Of course one may well depend on the other.

We need to get players playing in their proper positions and get back to what we do well, pressing high up the pitch with energy.

Get back to a 442 with Dunne at left back and Tait on the right. Id get Frear on for width on the left with Turnbull and McHugh or Campbell in the middle. Main and Johnson up front. Right mid is a problem with Cadden injured. Probably only Grimshaw can play there but at least he can sit and watch Jones if Tait overlaps going forward.

3 points would be magic but Killie are in great form just now so even a point from this one would be decent.

Approach this game like we did against aberdeen and we will get something,play like we did against st mirren and we won't,it's that simple.the players themselves must know that and for as much as im not a big fan of robinson,the players need to be taking more of the blame and get the finger out and start being more consistent and not just turning up whenever they feel like it.

Agree with the point above re players playing in correct positions. I'd go with 3-5-2 Gillespie, Tait (RWB), ATS (LWB) Aldred, Hartley, Dunne, McHugh, Gorrin & Turnbull, Main & Johnson.....

I like Campbell, however he seems to be really out of sorts at the moment. Don't rate ATS, however I don't see any other options......Suppose the one alternative is to move McHugh  back and put Dunne at LWB and bring in Campbell/Grimshaw, however I think we need McHugh's presence and battling qualities in the middle of the park at the moment and I think Dunne is more suited to playing centrally.....

I fear another narrow defeat beckons........Wonder how different a season it would have been for both/either of these teams if Main had stuck that pen away to put us 2 up at Rugby Park a few months ago...... 

Missing this due to Xmas at the in laws in Perthshire....only getting there on Boxing Day lunchtime so would not go down well if I about turned. Even with the poor fare that has been served up of late I would rather be at Fir Park. 

In some ways our savings grace may come in the form that Kilmarnock will be favourites and will try and play football. We have proved v Rangers and Aberdeen at home that can inspire us.  St Mirren were every bit as poor as us on Saturday but we tend to lose those games. 

Still expect a narrow defeat because Killie have decent strikers and wingers and we really don’t. They turn up occasionally but Greg Stewart seems to turn in decent performance as does Brophy. 

Would love any sort of result to go into Hamilton but can see a narrow 1 goal defeat. Hope I am wrong.....

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hopefully we bounce back after a disappointing draw at Hamilton.

I'd expect a big, big away support for this one. We had 2,200+ at NDP on Saturday and seems to be more interest in this one.

First time in my life I've had to buy a ticket for Motherwell away and Accies away!

You've always had that kind of potential if the circumstances are right. I think you definitely have an edge on the likes of ourselves from Lanarkshire and St Mirren from Renfrewshire from being that bit further away from Glasgow and having no real local opposition of note (ok you do have an unhealthy knack of losing to Ayr in Cup games) in the immediate vicinity and a fairly expansive catchment area, when things are good on the park to an outsider the potential definitely seems to be there.

We're clearly not in the same positive shape but I remember some of the crowds between the teams the first season you came back up and it seems almost unbelievable to think a Killie-Motherwell league game broke 10,000.

As a fan of the club who'll benefit from your 2500-3000 or travelling support on Wednesday I wish you well in filling that South Stand if not on the park.

I can see an away support of 2500. Us playing 3-5-2. Tait at left back. McHugh in midfield and another shit fest of hoofball to Curtis Main. Another defeat and Accies will beat us at their midden  on Saturday then comes the winter break and every Motherwell fan happy clappers included know what needs to happen then.

I can see us doing what we did against Aberdeeen, rangers and Celtic at home and taking something from this. Everyone is beating everyone this season, and there’s enough negativity during and after the match, so I’ll stay optimistic for now. When I get to the stage of gloating about how shite we are, I’ll just give up I think.

2 hours ago, couttsy said:

Agree with the point above re players playing in correct positions. I'd go with 3-5-2 Gillespie, Tait (RWB), ATS (LWB) Aldred, Hartley, Dunne, McHugh, Gorrin & Turnbull, Main & Johnson.....

I like Campbell, however he seems to be really out of sorts at the moment. Don't rate ATS, however I don't see any other options......Suppose the one alternative is to move McHugh  back and put Dunne at LWB and bring in Campbell/Grimshaw, however I think we need McHugh's presence and battling qualities in the middle of the park at the moment and I think Dunne is more suited to playing centrally.....

I fear another narrow defeat beckons........Wonder how different a season it would have been for both/either of these teams if Main had stuck that pen away to put us 2 up at Rugby Park a few months ago...... 

Hartley should be nowhere near the team... 

It will certainly be a far better game because Killy won’t play hoofball. No idea what team he will play, depends how upset he is with certain players. Daft this is it’s just like us to actually bounce back and give a far better performance. Killy favourites but I would not count us out.

Mbulu / Aldred / Dunne seems to be a decent combination, as per the post above I think the pace either side makes the difference. I think Hartley probably fits in the middle of the back 3 when he plays, as he looks suspect on the sides.

McHugh is going to be in the lineup every week, and where most of us feel he is best suited at the back, his midfield performances have been good of late.

Ideally I’d like to see Tait back on the right, which means ATS on the left, but he did con that penalty out of the ref the last time we played killie, so maybe he can do is a turn. We’d probably need Livingstone on the bench for when ATS gets injured though.

In the middle, Turnbull and McHugh is a given, leaving the last spot to grimshaw, Campbell or Gorrin. Id just have Campbell in there and back him to turn it around. If we’re going to be shite i want to at least have the max number of players I like on the pitch.

Up front will probably be main and Johnson, because they happen to be the least worst of our options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, fizoxy said:

In the middle, Turnbull and McHugh is a given, leaving the last spot to grimshaw, Campbell or Gorrin. Id just have Campbell in there and back him to turn it around. If we’re going to be shite i want to at least have the max number of players I like on the pitch.

Agree with most of your post but in the centre midfield I'd pick 3 from Gorrin, McHugh (not 100% convinced of him), Turnbull and Rose.  My gameplan for Campbell would be to tell him to enjoy Boxing Day with his family.

11 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

All depends what Motherwell turns up and whether the manager can get the team selection / substitutions right. Of course one may well depend on the other.

We need to get players playing in their proper positions and get back to what we do well, pressing high up the pitch with energy.

Get back to a 442 with Dunne at left back and Tait on the right. Id get Frear on for width on the left with Turnbull and McHugh or Campbell in the middle. Main and Johnson up front. Right mid is a problem with Cadden injured. Probably only Grimshaw can play there but at least he can sit and watch Jones if Tait overlaps going forward.

3 points would be magic but Killie are in great form just now so even a point from this one would be decent.

Dunne left back and Frear left mid......all about opinions but jeez that's scary 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Dunne left back and Frear left mid......all about opinions but jeez that's scary 

We need width. Frear is our only wide player. He isnt a wing back so needs a defender behind him. I think we all agree Tait needs to get back playing on the righr so its Dunne or ATS. Id pick Dunne. He has been honking since he came back but he needs games.

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We need width. Frear is our only wide player. He isnt a wing back so needs a defender behind him. I think we all agree Tait needs to get back playing on the righr so its Dunne or ATS. Id pick Dunne. He has been honking since he came back but he needs games.

I agree with your reasoning but don't think we have the players to play this kind of football.  Unlike many others I have no problem with playing hoofball or aerial football, but I do prefer open football on the ground. However Frear is unsuited to playing against deep lying defences, when his pace is of limited value.  He's better suited to playing in more open games especially when we're a goal up.  Apart from set pieces, we don't have the strikers to play aerial football.  Of our 4 senior players (Johnson, Main, Bowman and Sammon) none are capable of playing successfully against increasingly towering central defenders. 

A lot of our current troubles are rooted in a failed summer recruitment campaign, when we signed not only unsuitable players, in the main, but also the wrong type of players.  It may be, of course, that we had to resort to signing our 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice targets but thats being generous and speculative.  

As far as tomorrow goes,  I hope that Killie suffer from complacency as, on paper, this should be a stroll in the park for them. First things first though we have to pick the right starting 11 and all of those chosen have to take the field with the correct attitude. That could be a big ask in itself.  Still, its a game from which we have to take something.  

Merry Christmas to all.

No idea what will happen today. Have been waiting for an out of the blue good performance for weeks to kick start our season. Thought the Aberdeen result might have been it but we have gone backwards since then.

Tatically Robinson has been found wanting in recent weeks and he is coming up against possibly the  best tactician in the league.  I still believe that we have the players to get a result but they are not showing it at the moment. 

As others have said, I would like to see the players in their natural positions, with McHugh playing as a central defender. Play a pressing game with high energy and who knows. 

We have proved that we can compete with any team in the league when on form. Need to show it today. Anything less and Killie will be taking the points. 

Kilmarnock has probably been the best performance from an opposition team I've seen this season.

I'm having disastrous premonitions about our upcoming visit to NDP so I think we really need to take at least something from this match.  Kilmarnock tend not to lose these sort of games but they have drawn a few.

Forget about results 6 out of the last 8 performances have been no where near good enough and about half of those have been completely unacceptable.

We need to up our performances big time.