2018'19 Game 20: Kilmarnock (H) Wednesday 26th December 2018

Kmcalpin

16 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Didnt Moult "have a Virus" for about 5 weeks after the cup final last season? Hmm,  Turnbull's probably gone and who can blame him if he is. 

Talk around me was he wants to stay for at least another 12 months. Time will tell.

A real calamitous game yesterday but when the dust settles, history will show it was another narrow 1-0 loss.  I've never seen 3 head injuries like those in the first 30 minutes in all my years of watching us.  Lets hope the 3 lads recover quickly and with no long term damage to their health.  Anyway on to the football.

We did make some changes to the starting line but I'm not convinced that they would have worked.  Still, through necessity, further enforced changes were required early on that blew away  our game plan.  I thought Grimshaw could have done better at the goal as Jones was given that wee bit of time and space to whip in a well placed cross.   A team like St Johnstone or Livingston would not have conceded such a goal.  After a few early clashes in the penalty boxes and elsewhere , the game took on a niggly, nasty side and threatened to boil over once or twice.  Tshibola kept going down very easily and conned the ref much to the annoyance of our lads.  By the 40 minute mark a red card for someone looked very likely.  

In the second half Killie inexpicably took their foot off the gas and we enjoyed much more pressure although virtually all of it was toothless.  We had one chance which Bigi missed late on but that was it.  Main was downright stupid in his ongoing feud with Killie defenders and there was no need for his reaction, but O'Donnell was rightly barracked by our support for his OTT reaction.   Killie ran out very comfortable winners and I always had the impression that, even if we hadn't had those early injuries, they would have stepped up a gear or two to take the points.  We played far too narrowly and gaveoursleves unnecessary problems because of that. 

As to player performances, I thought Tait was outstanding in his makeshift centre back role and was my clear MOTM.  I thought Aldred too worked away quietly but effectively.  Campbell again looked jaded and ineffective.  Grimshaw had a funny game - poor defensively but great going forward with some surging runs.  Bigi was a big disappointment.  This was a perfect stage for him as we tried to play on the deck on a great pitch but he just failed to rise to the occasion apply his creative talent.  Defensively he was all over the place and constantly failed to track and cover opponents.  Still not sure about Gorrin - time will tell.  Frear flattered to deceive.  Some eyecatching runs but no end product. 

Steven MacLean had a shocker of a game and was completley inconsistent.  He pulled us back 3 times for stealing yards at free kicks but failed to punish Kille, who were just as guilty as us, once.  I've no doubt his failure to clamp down firmly early on contributed in part to Main's red card.   I was also puzzled as to how the Killie keeper got away with handling well outside the box (I hope Trevor Carson wasn't watching).

Another 1-0 defeat and we move on.   

Hopefully its No News is Good News with relation to Mbulu. Would be a shocker for the Young Guy if it was a career ender, which a Detatched Retina very well could be. Also with McHugh's history of Concussions, is he gonna be out a while now as well?

When you add in Dunne,  Tanner and his relapse and Carson getting a DVT, its an insane list of weird and wonderful serious injuries weve suffered in the last 6 months

47 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Hopefully its No News is Good News with relation to Mbulu. Would be a shocker for the Young Guy if it was a career ender, which a Detatched Retina very well could be. Also with McHugh's history of Concussions, is he gonna be out a while now as well?

When you add in Dunne,  Tanner and his relapse and Carson getting a DVT, its an insane list of weird and wonderful serious injuries weve suffered in the last 6 months

Boxers can come back from a detached retina so hopefully it won’t be a career ending injury.

3 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Not much been said about it but we had a 16 year old winger on the bench yesterday . He has come through the youth system and apparently is very promising .

Yes great to see Stuart McKinstry get some exposure to the first team.  He's worked hard for his chance and is a real Well fan to boot.  Comes from a lovely family. 

Bit of a freak set of circumstances in the first 20 but almost felt the injury to Dunne and McHugh typified our mentality this season. Happens to even the best of teams and players, but I wasn't surprised two of our players stuck the nut in each other in the middle of the pitch. This might seem harsh but that incident comes from poor communication and poor judgement in an area of the pitch where we weren't in danger. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

A real calamitous game yesterday but when the dust settles, history will show it was another narrow 1-0 loss.  I've never seen 3 head injuries like those in the first 30 minutes in all my years of watching us.  Lets hope the 3 lads recover quickly and with no long term damage to their health.  Anyway on to the football.

We did make some changes to the starting line but I'm not convinced that they would have worked.  Still, through necessity, further enforced changes were required early on that blew away  our game plan.  I thought Grimshaw could have done better at the goal as Jones was given that wee bit of time and space to whip in a well placed cross.   A team like St Johnstone or Livingston would not have conceded such a goal.  After a few early clashes in the penalty boxes and elsewhere , the game took on a niggly, nasty side and threatened to boil over once or twice.  Tshibola kept going down very easily and conned the ref much to the annoyance of our lads.  By the 40 minute mark a red card for someone looked very likely.  

In the second half Killie inexpicably took their foot off the gas and we enjoyed much more pressure although virtually all of it was toothless.  We had one chance which Bigi missed late on but that was it.  Main was downright stupid in his ongoing feud with Killie defenders and there was no need for his reaction, but O'Donnell was rightly barracked by our support for his OTT reaction.   Killie ran out very comfortable winners and I always had the impression that, even if we hadn't had those early injuries, they would have stepped up a gear or two to take the points.  We played far too narrowly and gaveoursleves unnecessary problems because of that. 

As to player performances, I thought Tait was outstanding in his makeshift centre back role and was my clear MOTM.  I thought Aldred too worked away quietly but effectively.  Campbell again looked jaded and ineffective.  Grimshaw had a funny game - poor defensively but great going forward with some surging runs.  Bigi was a big disappointment.  This was a perfect stage for him as we tried to play on the deck on a great pitch but he just failed to rise to the occasion apply his creative talent.  Defensively he was all over the place and constantly failed to track and cover opponents.  Still not sure about Gorrin - time will tell.  Frear flattered to deceive.  Some eyecatching runs but no end product. 

Steven MacLean had a shocker of a game and was completley inconsistent.  He pulled us back 3 times for stealing yards at free kicks but failed to punish Kille, who were just as guilty as us, once.  I've no doubt his failure to clamp down firmly early on contributed in part to Main's red card.   I was also puzzled as to how the Killie keeper got away with handling well outside the box (I hope Trevor Carson wasn't watching).

Another 1-0 defeat and we move on.   

I would agree with all of that. Bigi was truly awful in my view, just going backwards every time he plays. Gorrin can certainly pass a ball, probably as well as anyone at the club but he’s still too lightweight. All in all very frustrating with yet again a defeat by the odd goal although I would agree Killy probably could  could have gone up a gear.  You know what though looking back at this season if we had one goalscorer in the team we would be sitting comfortably safe. The amount of points thrown away just in home games is crazy starting right back from that game against Accies, most of the possession and nothing to show. Even the last few games against St Johnstone, St Mirren, and Killy.

Re the head clash. McHugh made up his mind really early it was his ball. You could here him shout "Carls" as clear as day from the East Stand. Unfortunately Dunney either didnt hear him or couldnt get out the way. Just one of these unfortunate incidents that happen in contact sport.

Re Bigi. I thought it was very clear from the minute he came on that he had been thinking long and hard about the criticism he has endured. He was running around very busily trying to close people down. It just doesnt come naturally to him so he ended up looking a bit like a headless chicken. He also had plenty opportunity on the ball but repeatedly made poor decisions. Im afraid his time is up.

Regarding the game. It was fucking awful again. Once again we created nothing. Had very little on target.

It was however a better effort than the previous showing and the headknocks didn't help.

We are awful.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes great to see Stuart McKinstry get some exposure to the first team.  He's worked hard for his chance and is a real Well fan to boot.  Comes from a lovely family. 

He's away on trial to Leeds.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Might not even be a trial actually. I am sure I heard a bid was accepted and he was going down. So it's more like talks than a trial at a guess.

Yeah, heard that at the match yesterday as well. Leeds were interested and he was heading south. 

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Might not even be a trial actually. I am sure I heard a bid was accepted and he was going down. So it's more like talks than a trial at a guess.

Just signed his first pro contract in the summer so would be sad to see him depart  if he offers a good bit of promise. That said, if it's good money I guess it could work for both parties.

Good on you Tom, as someone had to stand up and say it.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3674920/motherwell-tom-aldred-kilmarnock-stephen-odonnell-down-like-a-girl-curtis-main/ 

O'Donnell should have received a yellow card for simulation, but the referee bottled it.  A nasty side to our game, which we see all too often.