2018'19 Game 21: Hamilton (A) Saturday 29th December 2018

Mintymac

40 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

A special mention to Andy Rose who stepped up in our hour of need to put in a sterling shift. Looked really emotional at the end. I've not been his biggest fan but yesterday he was class. All the best to him.

Well said … … … not to everyone’s liking but a really good steady pro who seems to go under the radar doing the dirty shift that is appreciated by those around him

Your welcome back at Fir Park anytime Andy 

All the best in your future career 

• Thanks 1

The interesting thing about us having players make cameos on the match commentary is you get to hear how much they rate certain players. One common thread this season has been how much the team appreciates the work of Rose and McHugh.

Rose seems like a great guy, and after yesterday I think we can all agree that he’s a model pro too. He was far from being the complete player, but we rarely get that luxury. I think he’ll do well in a league that isn’t as quick as ours.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

The interesting thing about us having players make cameos on the match commentary is you get to hear how much they rate certain players. One common thread this season has been how much the team appreciates the work of Rose and McHugh.

Rose seems like a great guy, and after yesterday I think we can all agree that he’s a model pro too. He was far from being the complete player, but we rarely get that luxury. I think he’ll do well in a league that isn’t as quick as ours.

If I recall correctly Robinson indicated a few weeks ago that Sammon was a great guy to have around and that he was a model professional to the younger players, these snippets are always interesting to hear.

What better way to end 2018 and enter the break than a great derby win.  It also gives us a bigger advantage over the bottom 3 teams.  A big support, wild celebrations and great away day all told.  Happy days indeed.  With what we've had to put up this season it was just reward. 

We thoroughly deserved to win and although the first 45 was tight we clearly dominated the second half being the better team.  Not the best football we've ever played but it was definitely an improvement on the hoofball of recent months and we did try to play on the deck.   Accies were very poor it has to be said.  Whilst they were as streetwise as ever they lacked their usual aggressiveness and abrasiveness.   No doubt "Scott Brown Mini Me" MacKinnon was missed.

The team played well as a whole but I thought Frear and my MOTM, Aldred, were standouts.  Frear added much need pace and Aldred was just immense both in attack and in defence.  Both his goals were very well taken and our strikers could learn a thing or two from him.  Hartley too played his part.  Good to see Adam Livingstone come on and get some more first team experience - hopefully he'lll now kick on.  Fair play too to Andy Rose for putting in a good shift just before his departure. 

We did have some weaknesses though.  I wasn't in the least surprised when Accies scored from an incursion down our right flank.  That was their 3rd such break down an exposed right flank in the first 17 minutes.  In general we played far too narrowly and gave Accies some freedom on our flanks, but fortunately they were pretty toothless and couldn't breach our central defence.  Gillespie had very little to do. I wasn't impressed by our strikers who worked hard but achieved little.  Its maybe significant that both our goals came from a centre back scoring at set pieces.  

I wasn't impressed by Nick Walsh who had a poor game from start to finish characterised by inconsistency throughout.  It wasn't a dirty game and I'm still at a loss how we picked up 3 bookings. If Mr Walsh had to meet a quota then perhaps he could have dished out yellow cards to our old pal Imrie for nearly starting a riot and Sowah for a very bad challenge on Richard Tait.  The gazebo side linesman also made some very dubious calls.

On the way to the game I spoke brielfy to Charles Dunne who seems to be making a good recovery thank goodness.  A "fit" looking Craig Tanner sat just in front of us. 

A great day to be a Well fan.          

• Thanks 1