New Year's Day fixtures.........or lack of them

Pettywulliegrew-2

Just my opinion ..........should these games continue ?????

being a certain age  when the first of January meant a game against.......our real enimies Ardrieonians ( early 70s)

my gran lived in Woodside tower and can remember my dad and uncles heading down to the game and all coming back happy win lose or draw while wishing I was there ......but watching the floodlights glow whilst being forced grans home made ginger wine 

first recolection was getting taken to Broomfield mid 70's and getting pumped  and watching guys  wearing suits and shirts and ties battering each other ........then the next year beating Ayr at FP ..........and then watching us draw 2-2 with killie  on the tv at rugby park and all the players were wearing adidas sambas as the pitch was frozen solid

17 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Edit that.......talking shite ........ Text messages 0-0 at ndp mcalls first game in charge .....0-5 same venue 2015 

in between 4-0 st Johnstone ?????

Even worse ..........been reminded  was at 2of them ............thankfully not the bad one which I had banished from my mind 

Slightly off topic, but Motherwell more than most will be thankful of the winter break.

However, would that be the case if we hadn’t shoehorned almost a quarter of the season into December?

I like the New year game, rather than playing it early as we have done the last 2 years, but also as a wider point feel the winter break is a bit of a farce, we’re straight back with a midweek game in late January, which could easily be the coldest week of the year...

If sack the winter break and reduce the schedule in December, just move the weekend games to Boxing Day and Newcyear if need be....

14 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Slightly off topic, but Motherwell more than most will be thankful of the winter break.

However, would that be the case if we hadn’t shoehorned almost a quarter of the season into December?

I like the New year game, rather than playing it early as we have done the last 2 years, but also as a wider point feel the winter break is a bit of a farce, we’re straight back with a midweek game in late January, which could easily be the coldest week of the year...

If sack the winter break and reduce the schedule in December, just move the weekend games to Boxing Day and Newcyear if need be....

The winter "break" is a fucking farce. Teams take their squads to Dubai / Usa  etc and play friendlies. Then greet about players being "overworked" or "tired". 

Not happy with that? Then heres a novel Idea, stop being greedy cunts and give your players a fucking proper rest if the wee lambs need it so badly. Or just remind Your players how lucky they are to be earning a very good wage for a part time job! Id love to earn £50k a year for a weekly schedule of 12-14 hours "training", playing a game of football, hitting the gym a couple times and doing the occasional media appearance

I'm OK with the idea of a winter break - especially with the transfer window in action. Gives teams some time to regroup for the 2nd half of the season and let new signings bed in to a team.

I think packing so many games into December instead, is stupid though. They could be spaced out more equally across the season (although the international breaks are making that more difficult I suppose).

I'd rather get rid of the split than the winter break, but I think I'm in the minority there.

The break itself is fine. It is designed to give recovery time for players with niggles and injuries and also gives pitches a couple of weeks of a breather or time for work if a groundsman feels its necessary. It also provides an opportunity for some warm weather training on sound surfaces if a club is in a fortunate position to afford it. There is also the fact that many supporters will benefit from a couple of weeks off after what is generally a busy month for games (scheduling to accommodate a break or otherwise) and Christmas bills arriving.

It baffles me that there are still people who consider it solely an attempt to avoid bad weather though. We know that shite weather of varying types can hit Scotland in pretty much any month of the year. If they were looking to have a genuine winter break that dodged the vast majority of the winter then we'd be playing an effective summer football schedule.

I agree however that any friendly arranged simply to cash in on a free week does infringe upon the spirit of if it but I'd argue much less so than in July/August when that utterly ridiculous rule was created to allow a postponement of a league fixture to play a friendly.

I quite like the winter break.if teams, the Old Firm, abuse it with meaningless friendlies overseas, then f*ck them. The last game before the break should be the January derby played no later than the 2nd. The break should end on the first Saturday in February. I get much more frustrated by Internationalbreaks and think the League Cup semi finals being played on a weekend are a farce.

• Like 1