retro kits

Neilwell86

9 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Brilliant. What were the shirt cuffs like? I’m also sure that the Skelly logo was claret in the match worn shirt. Was the replica logo black?

You can see the cuffs better in the other photo of the back of the shirt. Same pattern as the collar. I'll try and get a better picture. Edit just realised the other picture has disappeared. 

The skelly logo is black on this shirt. 

Edited by rgf17
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rgf17 said:

You can see the cuffs better in the other photo of the back of the shirt. Same pattern as the collar. I'll try and get a better picture. Edit just realised the other picture has disappeared. 

The skelly logo is black on this shirt. 

Brilliant that would be great if you could take a few more pictures.

Yes, I think the logo was claret on the match worn shirts and not black. Can anyone confirm this? Aztec always endeavour to replicate the match worn version rather than the shop replicas. So any potential release would reflect that. 

11 hours ago, Gadgey said:

They were claret in the same way that the badge on the home replica was black. I would wager they were done on the same press

The black badge on the home replica was an odd one. However, it’s good to know that the Ian Skelly logo on the match worn shirts were claret and my memory wasn’t playing tricks. I’m still trying to find some better images of the kit being worn, however, I’m not having much luck. 

11 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

According to another poster in this thread it was this game. We sadly lost 2-0.

Still, a better result than the one I saw. We lost that 4-0. Both our fullbacks scored own goals. My memory may be hazy, but we may have played in white shorts that night. We were well beaten,but our kit looked great!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, weeyin said:

Everyone already know what one I liked - the Adidas one that was the wrong colour and didn't come with a change version.

We became Notting Hamwell F.C. for that period in our kit history. The Frankenstein monster mash up was born out of the then bright yellow Nottingham Forest away top and the West Ham home shirt for the claret sections.  You can clearly see the butchering in some of the images from the time as the stitching on the stripes was not a 100% on some of the shirts. I’ve only ever saw one match worn version of that shirt and even that was from a distance. Sadly we weren’t important enough to get our very own amber cloth from adidas, and we even had to borrow Dundee United’s white away shirt when we played them in a match at Fir Park. For one day only it was Dundee United playing Dundee United. 

Notting Hamwell F.C. (aka Motherwell F.C.)

29egmsm.jpg

While I was a huge fan of Adidas at the time - they made simple styles of kit and for most of the big Europeanteams - it was obvious that we were getting the thin edge of the wedge in terms of design from them.

Our of the kits I have actually seen us play in, I loved the All amber Admital kit of the late seventies, the Umbro kit of the late eighties, and the cup final Admiral kit from1991. I also have a soft spot for the Willie Pettigrew sash kit, but that might just be because WillieP was my first real’well hero. Not old enough to have seen them played in, but some of the really simple styles from the early sixties, both home and away, are very much to my taste these days.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:01 PM, The African said:

While I was a huge fan of Adidas at the time - they made simple styles of kit and for most of the big Europeanteams - it was obvious that we were getting the thin edge of the wedge in terms of design from them.

Our of the kits I have actually seen us play in, I loved the All amber Admital kit of the late seventies, the Umbro kit of the late eighties, and the cup final Admiral kit from1991. I also have a soft spot for the Willie Pettigrew sash kit, but that might just be because WillieP was my first real’well hero. Not old enough to have seen them played in, but some of the really simple styles from the early sixties, both home and away, are very much to my taste these days.

In the early days (1970s) apart from a few exceptions adidas made their name producing one or  two simplistic templates, whereas Admiral were the complete opposite and offered clubs several templates to choose from. From a personal point of view I believe  Umbro make the best football shirts and will be for ever known as the manufacturer of our classic 1960-69 signature top. We’ve won more major cups wearing Umbro than any other manufacturer, however, that wouldn’t be hard as Admiral are the only other manufacturer bestowed with that honour. Although to be fair our 1st division  league trophy wins were won wearing adidas (81-82) and Patrick (84-85). 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, Gadgey said:

Here’s a question for you all.....

What is your favourite Well shirt/kit of all time and why?

I was always a fan of the 94-96 home strip.  That top still looks good even now when you see it on old highlights.  Also liked the 96/97 away white top when Coyle scored that double at Ibrox.  

54 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

How the Motherwell adidas shirt would have looked like with a claret hoop and also in amber rather than yellow. A missed opportunity I think.

25tyirq.jpg

Glad they didn't add the hoop  to the yellow one, but looks great on the amber version.

• Like 1