retro kits

Neilwell86

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Glad they didn't add the hoop  to the yellow one, but looks great on the amber version.

Yes it demonstrates the subtle importance of amber over the more commonly used yellow.  I’m always dismayed when clubs play fast and loose with their branding and signature colours. We chose our colours for a good reason and we should never ever take them for granted. Clubs are more conscious of branding these days and Motherwell have made great strides in this department in recent years. On this forum I’ve campaigned on several MFC branding and kit issues and it’s heartening to see a few of them have been taken on board. The introduction of the original MFC monogram rather than the bog standard script font on kits/training wear was a huge step forward. I was boring myself with the amount of times I mentioned/campaigned for it on here. They got so bored with my whining that they ask me to draw it for them. Modern takes on classic kits is another thing I have pushed for and it’s been heartening to see a few modern retro inspired offerings like the 70s sash kit or our original blue top combined with C&A. The 125 retro anniversary was another milestone that recognised our 1960s signature top. So I’ve been quietly happy with the way our kits have been going recently, however, I just wish we could afford to ditch the Betting Dot Com sponsor as it ruins the kit. Or perhaps agree with the sponsor to allow us to sell a non sponsored version along side it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, twistandshout1983 said:

I was always a fan of the 94-96 home strip.  That top still looks good even now when you see it on old highlights.  Also liked the 96/97 away white top when Coyle scored that double at Ibrox.  

If I recall correctly, the 94-96 kit launched early and they wore it unannounced for the first time in a season 93/94 crunch title race match at home against the h*n. Can anyone verify?

It was the first time I’d seen a hoop on the socks.

Some great players wore that kit !!!

11 hours ago, Gadgey said:

If I recall correctly, the 94-96 kit launched early and they wore it unannounced for the first time in a season 93/94 crunch title race match at home against the h*n. Can anyone verify?

You could be on to something. According to YouTube our 94-96 Pony kit was worn in this 93-94 game against Rangers. 

Motherwell 2 Rangers 1, April 94

8 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

You could be on to something. According to YouTube our 94-96 Pony kit was worn in this 93-94 game against Rangers. 

Motherwell 2 Rangers 1, April 94

That’s the game !

I remember leaving fir park that night thinking for the first and probably last time in my life that we just might be in with a shout of winning the league.

This final table shows just how close we were. IIRC, we were in the running right up to the penultimate fixture and then St Johnstone beat us 2-1 at fir park on the last day of the season to drop us to 3rd.

B2E62C90-A45D-4395-913A-76DA09748BC4.jpeg

16 hours ago, Gadgey said:

That’s the game !

I remember leaving fir park that night thinking for the first and probably last time in my life that we just might be in with a shout of winning the league.

This final table shows just how close we were. IIRC, we were in the running right up to the penultimate fixture and then St Johnstone beat us 2-1 at fir park on the last day of the season to drop us to 3rd.

It was sadly done by the time those last two games came around.  We followed up the win over Rangers by just about securing a UEFA Cup place at home to Kilmarnock but then lost to Dundee Utd and that was pretty much it in terms of the title.  In my minds eye, having been so important all season Sieb didn't cover himself in glory for at least one of Utd's goals that night.

I seem to remember the UEFA place being confirmed following a game between Celtic and Hibs, perhaps a night or two later, and the last couple of games were then academic.  Mathematically we might still have had a chance going into the final two games but the difference in goal difference was such it was never going to happen and I think that was reflected in the scorelines.  The Raith game was shooty-in for both sides (with a mini pitch invasion following it)  but St Johnstone came still with a chance of avoiding the drop and were much more up for it than us.

But that night against Rangers was pretty special.

On 26 March 2019 at 12:15 AM, Clackscat said:

Agreed, the loss to Dundee Utd at home was the killer.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I seem to remember that as being a night match and coming up from England to watch it.  The Sun awarded Sieb Dykstra 2 out of 10 for his performance, the lowest mark I've ever seen given anywhere.

I seem to remember that as being a night match and coming up from England to watch it.  The Sun awarded Sieb Dykstra 2 out of 10 for his performance, the lowest mark I've ever seen given anywhere.
It was indeed, if I remember correctly we were 1 up through Kirk and cruising, we missed a sitter for 2-0, then Utd scored 2 late goals I think through Brewster with Dykstra at fault for at least 1 of them. Game was originally scheduled for 9/4 but played midweek 3/5. Crowd was only 5200 when we had a genuine chance of winning league. Winning that game and EITHER Raith away or St J home would have won us the league...we were that close

On 3/26/2019 at 12:15 AM, Clackscat said:

Agreed, the loss to Dundee Utd at home was the killer.

Raith Rovers also equalized against us with a last minute free kick.  

The last game of the season I seem to remember St. Johnstone got relegated despite beating us.  It was also Tommy McLeans last match as manager and Stevie McMillan's debut.

28 minutes ago, Frazzie said:

The badge looks shite. Aztec one is far better in my opinion.

Agreed the Aztec one is far superior on the small details. The club badge on the Copa is not accurate to the 85-87 original as at the time we had more white on the badge. Not for me I’m afraid. 

11 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Be warned that Copa sizes are a tad small .........I was given  a Copa xxl Roma top as a present a few years ago.......was very figure hugging and had to be returned....about  23 inches armpit to armpit 

So are the Aztec ones, regretting not getting a bigger size.  In their defence, it's there on the site, I should have spotted it.