retro kits

Neilwell86

The above Roma sash top got me thinking about next seasons away which is usually planned well in advance. I do love a sash top and would love to see a revival of the 70s C&A away sash shirt. Although white has always been my preferred away colour, it’s unlikely that next seasons away will be white, as we normally switch it up every season. I’ve  quickly mocked up a few different base colours (white, petrol blue, warm grey, black) to wet your appetite for 2020-21. Perhaps another petrol blue top could be the answer? Although I know that can divide opinions. Whatever we opt for it must contain some flashes of C&A within the design. 

The classic retro sash look with a modern twist will always be in fashion... :D

zDFyOi6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Am I right in thinking the petrol blue is a theoretical (i.e. guess?) shade based on trying to derive  a colour from analysis of b&w photos of our pre WW1 blue strip?

Our original blue would have been the standard royal blue fabric dye of the time, think Rangers. The petrol shade was derived from an illustration on a cigarette card from the time but going by existing blue shirts from around that era that shade wasn’t available.

... Motherwell team adopted "light blue:" in Scotland this term was commonly used to distnguish mid- or royal-blue from the far more common navy tops (which was sometimes desctibed as "blue").

TThe white shirt is magnificent! Grey and black, both look fine, but I am just not a fan of playing shirts in those tones. Black is for referees or a local (for me, at least) rugby team, and grey has never really worked imho. I liked our blue away shirt from a few years ago and if there is a historical precedent for that shade then Iwould be happy to go with that. I also think that a claret shirt with an amber sash, in the style already depicted by UBH would look great.

6 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Our original blue would have been the standard royal blue fabric dye of the time, think Rangers. The petrol shade was derived from an illustration on a cigarette card from the time but going by existing blue shirts from around that era that shade wasn’t available.

6 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Thanks for that. I prefer staying clear of  blue or green for obvious reasons but that's just my opinion, despite blue being part of our history.

To complicate matters, we seem to have ignored our C&A stripes, worn between the claret with amber yoke years and the traditional  hoop (apart from the claret with amber candy stripes worn in our "Dortmund " season).

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

That is a thing of beauty! 

We’ve certainly never had a combination like that before. I’ve always been a firm supporter of having a C&A away shirt that compliments a traditional home kit. Our colours are unique, and I believe we should use them whenever possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

So the colour of shirt we had a few years ago is based on an incorrect cigarette card?

3 hours ago, daver said:

So the colour of shirt we had a few years ago is based on an incorrect cigarette card?

Yes it was based on an online image of a printed illustrated card. I sampled the colour in photoshop and hey presto the petrol blue myth was born. If you have an actual printed copy of that card it’s highly likely that the blue will be slightly different to the online scan. Colour can also vary depending on the scanner used for scanning. Although, it should also be noted that printing around that time wasn’t that accurate and it’s always best to go with official registered documents, which state that we wore royal blue/light blue. I produced various ‘Sampdoria style’ mock-ups in petrol blue in the knowledge that some of our fan base would have been opposed to the actual registered royal blue of the time. The top was eventually released to celebrate a 100 Years of Claret & Amber. In theory it should have reflected either our first or last blue colour, but instead we used a blue that we didn’t wear at that time. Personally I’m fine with that as the shade chosen went well with C&A and it was still blue.  Although, it should be noted that  Glencairn and Alpha who merged to form Motherwell wore identical navy and white outfits, which were also a very common choice in Scotland at the time. This was much darker than the Royal/Light Blue that we registered as our colour in 1886. So basically we wore the same blue as any other team who wore royal blue, including (whisper it) Glasgow Rangers. Also known as the light blues. 

The card in question. Notice how the blue shade changes on these two separate scans. It’s also an illustration and the paint/ink used to illustrate it will also have an effect on the final colour. The third illustration is more accurate representation of a how a new Royal blue/light blue shirt would have looked like.

Image result for Motherwell 1909Image result for Motherwell 1909motherwell 1909

A few points of note from the Historical Kits website.

The sectarianism that was a feature of Scottish life quickly became apparent: blue (usually navy), white and red are the colours of Unionism (and were the original colours of Hearts, for example) and became associated with the Presbyterian establishment while green and white were universally adopted by the clubs with roots in the poor Catholic minority. These sectarian affiliations faded away over time with the notable exception of the intense rivalry between Rangers and Celtic. 

A survey of Scottish clubs in the 1870s and early 1880s reveals that most clubs played in plain jerseys (navy, red, maroon, green or rarely white) or narrow hoops in a combination of two colours. Remember that players had to buy their own kit in those days: the working class lads that took up the sport in Scotland would not be inclined to join clubs that required expensive colour combinations associated with public schools or universities that they had no connection with.

The Victoria & Albert Museum have indicated that dyes from the Victorian and Edwardian periods generally came from Germany and the supply would have ceased with the outbreak of the Great War in 1914. It follows that during and after the war, dyes were sourced from UK and other manufacturers and that the shades of some kits may have differed from the pre-war versions. Considerable caution has to be exercised in interpreting old black and white photographs, however, due partly to the technical problems of reproduction and because dyes were not colour fast in those days. After a long season of weekly boil washes, kits looked extremely washed out.

18 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

As a point of reference, pictured is a photograph of an original  royal blue  Everton shirt  from 100 years ago. Our shirt before we switched to C&A would have been this shade of blue...

D4hK6KTWwAAuD29.jpg

Of course, just about everybody looking at this will see a different colour thanks to the wonders of monitor calibration (or lack of).