Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

I really hope this is a blip but I am fearful my initial thoughts about hime are coming true. He could not stop the downward spiral at Oldham and we are in the same. However, let's see after break, recoveries for Cadden and Frear from injury and his performance in transfer market. My big worry is that we are n to scoring enough and losing easy goals week after week.

If no improvement over next few games then I would be voting to get him out.

Not for me. We played really well Aug - Nov. Shite Nov - Dec while losing at various times Carson, Hartlely, McHugh, Cadden, Frear and Moult.

Winter break and window is coming at exactly the right time.

We need to do some decent business in the transfer window and regain some form sharpish. I think we will and we will not be in a relegation fight....which has been the talked about target from Day 1.

• Like 3

A manager who got us to a Scottish Cup Final and guided us to multiple 2nd and 3rd league finishes in the league was forced out after a run that was only 1 point worse than the current run over 11 matches.

If Robinson was fired tomorrow I don't think he could have much to complain about.

Should he be fired? There's a decision to be made and sometimes you have to be ruthless. Personally I'd give it a couple more games but if we lost the next two I don't think he'd have a leg to stand on.

The problem with that is the January transfer window coming before those matches complicates the whole decision.

Sadly its becoming more and more obvious that most of his summer signings are actually pretty poor. For me Carson, Hartley, Kipri and maybe Tanner, the rest are not up to it. Should he stay ? If its a four year contract thats a hell of an expensive pay off coming so I would personally give him the window and January.

Folk often accuse the club of being short sighted for a whole variety of reasons and yet the responses in this thread are the very epitome of short sighted.

What kind of club do we want to be? A club where managers are given the chance to build something meaningful over a number of windows and are supported through tough patches, or are we the type of club who pull the trigger at the first downturn in results? If we're expecting a high calibre of manager to come in then a history of loyalty through the bad times can't be underestimated.

Chucking the guy any time soon would completely destroy our credibility as a club to work at.

• Like 7

Sadly its becoming more and more obvious that most of his summer signings are actually pretty poor. For me Carson, Hartley, Kipri and maybe Tanner, the rest are not up to it. Should he stay ? If its a four year contract thats a hell of an expensive pay off coming so I would personally give him the window and January.

I'm told that it's normal practice for football manager contracts to have a clause that they can be cancelled by paying out 6 months or 8 months pay.

We probably wouldn't have to pay out 4 years, unless we fucked the contract up as well.

Folk often accuse the club of being short sighted for a whole variety of reasons and yet the responses in this thread are the very epitome of short sighted.

What kind of club do we want to be? A club where managers are given the chance to build something meaningful over a number of windows and are supported through tough patches, or are we the type of club who pull the trigger at the first downturn in results? If we're expecting a high calibre of manager to come in then a history of loyalty through the bad times can't be underestimated.

Chucking the guy any time soon would completely destroy our credibility as a club to work at.

I can see a lot of what you say, but on the other hand could we attract any kind of high quality manager if we get relegated? Tough one for the board and I said earlier would be up for giving him a chance but as we do need to be short sighted because of our financial situation this level of results cant go on much longer.

I cant disagree with the post and did mention a while ago how short sighted it would be. But sadly the nature of sport in general is you are judged on results at the end of the day. He himself hinted in the post match interview last game that the run of results was relegation material and it had to stop soon. If we dont start winning there comes a point hes going to get sacked.

Would be keen to see Robbo stay on. He's a very likable manager and speaks very openly & honestly, which fits in to the club ethos at this time. Obviously the form has been dreadful and if it continues, he should be let go. But I think he's been dealt a tough hand over the previous month or two. The triple-header against Celtic, the selling of our best player & injuries to our other better players have all transpired at the same time. The squad performed really well at the start of the season, getting all our hopes up, but they are still essentially a new team that are getting used to each other & Robbo getting used to them. Bowman has refound his form from last season since Moult's gone which doesn't help. Fisher has been an overall disappointment and that leaves us with a striker leading the line that's had less than a half of professional football under his belt. This window is massive & if the signings are near the talent he brought in this summer, I'm confident he can turn this ship around.

• Like 2

A real shame to see this thread make it's appearance so quickly.

We have to think back one whole calender month (yes one month ago), to a time when we were in a cup final and our manager was being mentioned for the Northern Ireland job. To be fair it was just as ridiculous then, that he should be being considered for that job as it is now that there is talk of sacking him.

Dundee Utd suffered a very similar fate to ours just a few seasons ago.I don't remember the exact details, but after a very bright start to the season involving a strong cup run, they played Celtic on (I think) three consecutive occasions, losing all three. They then lost Armstrong and Mackay-Steven to Celtic and did not recover.The end result was that Macnamara lost his job and United were ulimately relegated.

My feeling is that the team were burnt out after the trio of Celtic matches.The controversy surrounding the games did not help. To lose Moult and Cadden to injury (our two most influential player in my opinion) has only compounded the problem. I don't think we can underestimate the effort that went into those games. Interestingly, Celtic have struggled (by their standards) since then too.

The winter break has come a few weeks too late I feel but it is now here. Let the players recover and let the manager freshen the squad then see where we go from there.

If we look at the year as a whole Robinson has done very well. He saved us from relegation and got us to a cup final. As it stands at this moment we are still only a few points off the top six. He deserves a chance.

• Like 3

I really hope this is a blip but I am fearful my initial thoughts about hime are coming true. He could not stop the downward spiral at Oldham and we are in the same. However, let's see after break, recoveries for Cadden and Frear from injury and his performance in transfer market. My big worry is that we are n to scoring enough and losing easy goals week after week.

If no improvement over next few games then I would be voting to get him out.

Cadden and Frear have been doing nothing when they have been fit , dont pin your hopes on that.

• Like 1

Robinson said after the game: "If you haven't won in a while it does put doubts in your mind. We've suffered from injuries and we've had to change our style of play slightly, put more perceived ball players into the team, but we know we have to get back to what we were doing and getting back into the shape that we played before and we'll do that over the break."

What a load of sh*te. More perceived ball players? Like who? We have looked like a team of hammer throwers from the outset of the season and not much different to the last 6 games of last season. He has now been found out as a one trick pony as the rest of the SPFL have wised up to him. We are crying out for a couple of creative players in the midfield who can pass and control the play. Crosses in the box? Aye but do we ever get behind defences and cross? No. Just sling aimless balls into the box from deep positions - Neanderthal football and easy to defend against. Sorry but the countdown clock is ticking for him. If we don't win our first two games after the break (Accies in the cup and Ross County in the league) then he should be ditched pdq.

• Like 1

Looking like a one trick pony . In terms of technical ability worst team Ive seen in years . Cant break teams down . Looked over at management team today . Even they looked devoid of ideas . Beginning to think he talks a good game

You honestly think the current team is worse than the utter dross we had to put up with under mcGhee and McCall at the end...aye right, remember Zak Jules, Straker, Theo Robinson, Jake Taylor, Fletcher, Blyth, Samson, Lee Hollis etc etc.

• Like 1

For me the board have a decision to make.

1) Sack him now and let the new guy have the window to bring in his own players. It would require a massive clear out of near enough every player though, many of whom are still under contract so therefore probably not possible. I think there is zero chance of this happening.

2) Give Robinson the window to sign the new players but he has 3/4 games to save his job. Im not usually a fan of giving a manager a few games to prove themselves as if its broke now, a few scraped wins is just papering over the cracks but if we go 14/15 games with only 1 win nobody could survive that. Im not exactly sure that I trust Robinsons signings either as the summer haul, bar the odd one, has yielded very very few players worth shouting about with many not even being remotely even approaching capable.

3) Keep him till the summer and sack him when we get relegated.

The collapse we have witnessed in December shouldnt be underestimated, nor should the decline in performances within this run. Tynecastle (with Moult, Hartley, Cadden and Carson all out) was positivity polished compared to Dundee and especially today! If folk are pinning their hopes on Cadden and especially Frear, who has been no more than a bit part player this season, then they are as deluded as Robinson who is now stating that a striker or 2 will solve all our problems.

Im not calling for his head yet but this run has destroyed my confidence in him and more importantly undone the great start we made and put relegation back on our radar when we were only a couple of wins this month away from possibily not having to worry about it for the first time in 4 seasons! The type of run were on has seen the majority of our recent managers get their jotters for very similar form. (1 point ftom 4 games v Thistle, Dundee, Killie and Accies FFS!!!)

I really really hope that he can turn this around but i think we will have a new manager mid February.

• Like 1