Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

Im not particularly fond of Robinsons style of football and I see shades of Baraclough in him when it comes to transfers (we need quality not quantity). However, I do like his mentality which has seen us approach big occasions with confidence and generate some memorable moments that had largely disappeared under McGhee.

As mentioned above, he exceeded expectations up until November and therefore has money in the bank. Some fans and pundits went overboard with praise and now its time to sit it out. While we were winning games early doors it wasnt due to good football and there was always the concern that our high intensity approach to games and training would see us burn out, and it undoubtedly has.

If he wins 6/7 more games this season he will have achieved his objectives for 2017/18 and a 9/10th place finish and cup final will be viewed as moderate success. However, with 6 games in 18 days after the break, a couple of the wins need to come in that spell or this thread will understandably explode.

A number of players promised a lot and have failed to deliver.

Many were full of praise for the manager switching things up when previous ones persevered, evident sometimes these pay off and other times they don't.

The Celtic games took it out us, I've seen it before in games where the perceived feeling of injustice is a hard one to shake. Remember Dundee and the goal that never was last season? The home game against Celtic must have been like a defeat.

Lets not jump on the bash Robinson bus too quickly, the first half yesterday was all one way traffic.

Some of you cunts are all sugar or all shite

• Like 3

Robinson almost has the same league record as manager as Ian Barraclough

Barraclough P32 W10 D5 L17

Robinson P33 W11 D5 L17

Not that I necessarily agree but playing devil's advocate you could definitely draw some parallels. Scraping our way to safety,living off a few "iconic" results- 6-1/cup run- and high player turnover.

I do think Robinson has much more about him than Baraclough though.

Im not particularly fond of Robinsons style of football and I see shades of Baraclough in him when it comes to transfers (we need quality not quantity).

and high player turnover.

Eh?

We needed a major overhaul -he done just that. Every transfer is a gamble and the best managers in the world only get a percentage right.

Look at the squad before and after this summers transfer window. You can't possibly argue that the squad isn't stronger.

I think a couple of posters have mentioned we have the second lowest budget in the league. Guesswork or fact ?

Fact as per stats released round about time of cup final. Celtic were using them to bleat about how far behind PSG they were financially, conveniently forgetting how far ahead they are of other scottish clubs

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Fact as per stats released round about time of cup final. Celtic were using them to bleat about how far behind PSG they were financially, conveniently forgetting how far ahead they are of other scottish clubs

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Ok cheers

My feeling is that the team were burnt out after the trio of Celtic matches.The controversy surrounding the games did not help. To lose Moult and Cadden to injury (our two most influential player in my opinion) has only compounded the problem. I don't think we can underestimate the effort that went into those games. Interestingly, Celtic have struggled (by their standards) since then too.

The winter break has come a few weeks too late I feel but it is now here. Let the players recover and let the manager freshen the squad then see where we go from there.

If we look at the year as a whole Robinson has done very well. He saved us from relegation and got us to a cup final. As it stands at this moment we are still only a few points off the top six. He deserves a chance.

Robbo mentioned burn out and said that lessons would have to be learnt from it. Celtic, with a larger squad have also suffered because of it. Yes, he does deserve a chance and my gut feeling is that he will turn it around. However if he doesn't what do we do?

Under Baraclough there were no Hearts, Hibs or Rangers in the league.

Personally if we avoid the play-offs with a few games to go, It'll have been an ok season.

Safety, a cup final and a wad of cash. If you'd have said that at the start of the season I'd imagine a lot of people would have settled for it.

Can't really expect to fully turn around a team in 1 season.

Hopefully with the winterbreak we get a chance to re-group and push on.

It'll maybe be another team's turn to go on a dire run soon.

• Like 1

Eh?

We needed a major overhaul -he done just that. Every transfer is a gamble and the best managers in the world only get a percentage right.

Look at the squad before and after this summers transfer window. You can't possibly argue that the squad isn't stronger.

Oh aye definitely, I'm still a Robinson fan. Was just making a weird and badly made point that there are comparisons there if you want to seek them out.

Eh?

Theres no argument a major overhaul was required to s squad that included Clay, Lucas, Chalmers and Jules but imo the recruitment was excessive. Sure every transfer is a gamble but did we really need to spread the budget across so many players, a number of whom have offered very little. Robinson and Baraclough believe in competition for places while much of our success has came with small squads that had a fair amount of quality.

The first priority for me is always to finish above the relegation/play off places, and for now we're still sitting closer to the top six than the relegation zone so it's not panic stations yet.

We've just lost one of our top players and someone who was responsible for a lot of our goals the past few years. It's always going to be tough to recover from that.

We'll know a lot more when we've played Dundee at the end of February, and where we're sitting in the table at that point will likely dictate Robinson's position with the club.

Same here. Every season, avoiding relegation is the top priority.

I'm not too surprised we are where we are right now. The fixture list was weirdly skewed (even by SPFL standards), but we made the most of the easier start. My thoughts were that we'd struggle early with all the new faces in the squad then get up to speed later in the year. As it turned out we did the reverse, but the end result was the same.

The other problem we faced recently is bringing in the 2nd string players as backups. When everybody is fit, the first team was pretty much picking itself. That has meant little game time for the backups and regardless of how much they train and practice, the high tempo/high press Robinson prefers needs hard game time to perfect. And, as usual, some of the new signings haven't met expectations - that's pretty typical and I have been pleasantly surprised that such a large number have worked out. Even worse was that we lost our 4 best players in 4 different areas. Keeper, defence, midfield and strikeforce. Losing 4 average players in those areas would have been difficult to manage, but most team

s would struggle losing a Carson, Hartley, Cadden, Moult combo.

Common wisdom is that it takes 3 windows for a manager to build his own team (although I have seen 2 - 3 years mentioned too). Robinson met his first objective which was to bring the average squad age down and add some power and speed. The next window is a test, but it's not always easy to find top talent in January. As long as Robinson is learning from his mistakes, I'm happy to keep him in place.