Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

To be fair nobody really criticised is transfer policy last season, he was involved in some canny acquisitions and would have got a few more plaudits if Bigi showed what he has so far this season. Hartley and Aldred have been fantastic additions. Dunne came onto a game and Cedric was a little lottery win.

This issue for me and from scrolling through this thread is the almost universal acceptance that this business inbound this summer was underwhelming and not focused enough. Filling the teams with perceived 6/10's when a few 8's would have been more preferable to most of the support. 

I don't know if we were in for Tony Watt or O'Halloran but I'd like to think our facilities, central belt location, track record, ambition and ethos would be attractive to players. 

A manager is measured by his results both in terms of points/wins and playing staff. I fear a poor summer may come back to haunt him in the same way it may for Brendan.

Regardless, for me, the man, the Hampden visits, everything, means he has bought a lot of time in my book to get it right again.

• Like 1

Using his limited resources to add a couple of quality additions to the starting 11 would by default have strengthened the 12-18 positions, and along with giving the youngsters knocking on the door more of a chance, should have been the way to go. 

Losing a few key players through transfers and long term injury has further proved his recruitment policy to be badly flawed. 

I actually like Robinson and want him to succeed, but his dealings this summer could ultimately be his own undoing if we can't string a few wins together very soon. 

50 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

A manager is measured by his results both in terms of points/wins and playing staff. I fear a poor summer may come back to haunt him in the same way it may for Brendan.

Regardless, for me, the man, the Hampden visits, everything, means he has bought a lot of time in my book to get it right again.

So 8 wins from 34 league games is what he should be judged on and his terrible signings but your also willing to give him more time on the strength of losing two cup finals and blowing the budget on shite 

22 hours ago, Shaka said:

the only thing that kept us up last season was Louis Moult & Ross County (being awful), both of whom are now gone!

:lol:

There were 5 league places and 19 points between us and Ross County. Louis Moult' s goals contributed directly to 5 of those points. Ridiculous post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yodo said:

So 8 wins from 34 league games is what he should be judged on and his terrible signings but your also willing to give him more time on the strength of losing two cup finals and blowing the budget on shite 

"Losing two cup finals".

Fantastic bit of spin there. Over our 132 year history, Robinson has taken us to 16% of the major cup finals we've appeared in (2 of 12).

Anyone who tries to belittle last years achievements should probably find another new team, because they are in for decades of disappointment. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Shaka said:

The thing for Robinson is we must judge him on his league form, as thats his bread & butter. 

We seem to be able to raise our game for a one off occasion, add that to all the luck we got in the cups last year (several own goals and goals where keepers literally threw the ball in their own net) and we can be a good cup team, but lets keep in mind we made 2 finals last year and they essentially meant nothing as we got pumped in both! 

Remove the cups and we are a horrendously bad team under Robinson, just like Oldham were when he was manager. Can he turn that around? Im not so sure

I was talking to the Hearts fan at work, he said that as one of their goals was because Bigi dawdled on the ball and another was when the entire Motherwell team had pushed forward, that they saw the game as a 2-2 draw and were looking forward to the replay

10 hours ago, CoF said:

"Losing two cup finals".

Fantastic bit of spin there. Over our 132 year history, Robinson has taken us to 16% of the major cup finals we've appeared in (2 of 12).

Anyone who tries to belittle last years achievements should probably find another new team, because they are in for decades of disappointment. 

Anybody who settles for second best will always be a loser.Forget the cup finals look at the bread and butter stuff his record is woeful and style of play is shite 

7 hours ago, ropy said:

I was talking to the Hearts fan at work, he said that as one of their goals was because Bigi dawdled on the ball and another was when the entire Motherwell team had pushed forward, that they saw the game as a 2-2 draw and were looking forward to the replay

Replay ? What competition was this in 

40 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness, St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen have all won cups in the past decade.

Losing cup finals is nothing to be shouting about. 

How many of them played a team in the final head and shoulders above everyone else quality and budget wise ? I was at the Inverness final and they had nothing to beat. It’s the  same as this line that we were lucky to get there after beating Hearts, Aberdeen twice, and Rangers, it’s tosh. I’m amazed on here at times how as supporters of a small premiership club we seem to enjoy putting our own team down after they have actually done something. The games in the quarter and semis were fantastic and the players game everything as they did in the final. The club also made very decent money that I have no doubt helped pay off more of the debt. That in itself should see the club in a healthier  position moving forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness, St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen have all won cups in the past decade.

Losing cup finals is nothing to be shouting about. 

Aye and neither is playing in the lower leagues which at least six of those clubs have also done in the last decade.  Which yer man helped save us from once, ensured it was never an issue by about February last season and will most likely ensure it isn't an issue this season either. You know seeing as we're disregarding Cups whenever it suits the argument.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

will most likely ensure it isn't an issue this season either. 

The happy clapper mind set in all it's glory. Sitting joint second bottom after 6 games and already credited with keeping us up.

My point about the cups is no one cares about losing finals. Losing the finals in 2005 and 2011 are just vague memories now. The two last season will soon join them in complete irrelevance.

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The happy clapper mind set in all it's glory. Sitting joint second bottom after 6 games and already credited with keeping us up.

No, we put in context the standing of the club based upon the budget and target set. That's not to say I don't aspire to us doing greater things then coming in tenth. Which taes us back to the point you made about changing the people setting those targets and budgets. 

I assume that given there's a pathway to the boardroom via the Well Society and given the high level of discontent you share on a weekly basis when I go to vote on the candidates for election you'll have put yourself forward to right all these perceived wrongs and your CV and pitch will among the candidates yes? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Can you get on the board if you've been lifted at a game? :D If so there's a fine potential board on here. We'll be back in Europe in no time.

I just think we should have aspirations beyond signing a bus load of journeymen to compete with Accies and imitating their style of play.

That I don't disagree with you, although to a point for every journeyman like Fletcher there's been a Moult, for every Frear a Johnson, for every Straker a Tait etc. so I do at least  understand what they hope to achieve with the punts from England. 

16 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I just think we should have aspirations beyond signing a bus load of journeymen to compete with Accies and imitating their style of play.

I suppose we could always expand the playing budget significantly and finish 3rd, 2nd and 2nd. However if I recall correctly, you've also been critical of McCall's achievements because "we had a bigger budget then and everyone else was shite".

Just now, CoF said:

I suppose we could always expand the playing budget significantly and finish 3rd, 2nd and 2nd. However if I recall correctly, you've also been critical of McCall's achievements because "we had a bigger budget then and everyone else was shite".

And again run the club at a heavy loss putting it in danger of administration and the process of getter it back on an even keel starts again. Until the debt is paid off we will continue to sign journeymen, some will pan out and others won’t.  Couple of quality additions who no doubt would break the wage structure ? We had those under Barraclough and McGee, one sat on the bench most games and the other one showed us his skills every one in five games before heading off to the championship to again do nothing. Biggest successes over the last three years and players that actually moved on making the club good money ? All players no one had heard of. 

21 minutes ago, CoF said:

I definitely have never said that.

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Naw cmon tell us about the "replay " it's alright I know you meant extra time but you had a chance to say that but by saying I don't understand your just talking rubbish 

The point being made was that our success was down to luck e.g, own goals etc, I was pointing out that other teams take advantage of fortune without bleating on about it, I described a fictitious  scenario where a Jambo ignored the goals they had gained due to them being laid on a plate by their opposition, i.e. I was mimicking the ridiculousness of the original point.

It had nothing to do with a replay.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

The point being made was that our success was down to luck e.g, own goals etc, I was pointing out that other teams take advantage of fortune without bleating on about it, I described a fictitious  scenario where a Jambo ignored the goals they had gained due to them being laid on a plate by their opposition, i.e. I was mimicking the ridiculousness of the original point.

It had nothing to do with a replay.

Shite talker