Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

5 hours ago, Gadgey said:

Nope and neither should any Scottish provincial club manager for coming out with the same patter. What sets Killie apart is that they have an outstanding coach who has the best pedigree in the league. You don’t sustain such a long career in such high profile jobs with such high profile clubs in the most high profile league in the world by running your mouth off.

History has proven that all who do, finally get lynched.

With regards Motherwell’s place in the food chain, sadly, all evidence (be it historical, attendance, resources available, club structure, balance sheet) shows that we are a lower half top division team. It’s a fine margin between glory and disaster. Perversely, for a club like Motherwell, avoiding both could be measured as a successful season.

Premier League survival is not a god given right and I’d far rather have a Motherwell manager who recognises that and can provide necessary incentive to players and fans alike that his team can achieve it. 

Our place in the food chain is pretty much always where it has been. We are the most successful provincial club. We have not got the resources of the City clubs. We have actually won 500 more points than Kilmarnock in the top leagues. That is quite a fact. 

So realistically if we play to our position then we should always be in with a shout of top 6, but realistically no higher. Of course the seasons where we have finished top 4 we have overachieved and the seasons where we are in a relegation battle we have underachieved. But law of averages suggests that will happen from time to time for various reasons such as bad Manager, poor recruitment or vice versa. 

We finish in 8th in the SPL/SPFL more often than any other position. We have been relegated from the SPL twice and avoided it twice on technicalities.

This season is far more typical than the seasons we finished 2nd or 3rd.

Not to say we shouldn't be doing all we can to improve it - just put it into the context of our overall SP(F)L history. 

• Like 2

SR not doing too good in my opinion, but willing to keep him a bit longer although not too long to see if any improvemnt, have to say I am getting a bit fed up of pre and post match comments as it sounds like a broken record, I realise we are on a small budget compared to other teams in the division, but his signings this season have been awful in my opinion, I would have preferred to sign say two half decent quality players rather than the four numpties we have signed namely Donnelly, Taylor Sinclair, Sammon and Goring, ok Gillespie and Johnson might be OK (jury is out on them) but they will not be superstars like Kipre or Moult.

Not sure about his youth policy as well, as he very reluctant to put any of them into the first team, I know it's a big jump from reserves to first team but I am sure Turnball/McGuire/Livingston would not be out of place in the first team, let's face how much worse could they be than their first team counterparts, I am not asking for the 3 of them to jump into the first team, but I am sure one of them could be used, even McGhee managed to put Hutchison in at centre half at a very young age and he was a revelation

I ponder to think what division Partick Thistle would be playing if they had sacked Alan Archibald 9 months earlier?

SR not doing too good in my opinion, but willing to keep him a bit longer although not too long to see if any improvemnt, have to say I am getting a bit fed up of pre and post match comments as it sounds like a broken record, I realise we are on a small budget compared to other teams in the division, but his signings this season have been awful in my opinion, I would have preferred to sign say two half decent quality players rather than the four numpties we have signed namely Donnelly, Taylor Sinclair, Sammon and Goring, ok Gillespie and Johnson might be OK (jury is out on them) but they will not be superstars like Kipre or Moult.
Not sure about his youth policy as well, as he very reluctant to put any of them into the first team, I know it's a big jump from reserves to first team but I am sure Turnball/McGuire/Livingston would not be out of place in the first team, let's face how much worse could they be than their first team counterparts, I am not asking for the 3 of them to jump into the first team, but I am sure one of them could be used, even McGhee managed to put Hutchison in at centre half at a very young age and he was a revelation
I ponder to think what division Partick Thistle would be playing if they had sacked Alan Archibald 9 months earlier?
Can't disagree with a lot of that except perhaps Rodriguez Gorin who hasn't really had a chance due to Bigi's return to the fold.

I do wish though folks on social media would not use disparaging comments re individuals. These are human beings trying to make a living, and just because they might not be to your taste or standard as footballers does not mean they are 'numpties'.

Would you walk up to any of them face to face and call them a numpty?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Donnelly seems to be getting it tight.

Not saying he's impressed me but I don't think he's as bad as being made out (yet).

Wouldn't be steelmenonline if we didn't insist we should play youngsters and then immediately complain they are useless.

None of this "give them time to develop" nonsense on here, thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Wouldn't be steelmenonline if we didn't insist we should play youngsters and then immediately complain they are useless.

None of this "give them time to develop" nonsense on here, thanks.

A 22yr old signed from Hartlepool isn’t exactly a youngster in my opinion. 

The issue for me with Donnelly is that he has offered nothing that Barry Maguire couldnt offer. In fact Maguire in my opinion from viewings last year looks physically bigger & faster.  

Hes getting it tight as it’s put, because he actually hasn’t been very good and is keeping a real youngster out the team. I would rather Maguire played than bringing in someone who isn’t any better. 

• Like 4

Last year after inheriting a bit of a shitshow from McGhee he totally exceeded expectations.

This year despite an improved budget is marred by a poor summer of acquisitions. We can’t ignore that some we went for we didn’t get (see the spat with Neville). Regardless we’re currently under performing by what 2/3 league positions. Let’s calm down and stop giving the naysayers oxygen

4 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

The issue for me with Donnelly is that he has offered nothing that Barry Maguire couldnt offer. In fact Maguire in my opinion from viewings last year looks physically bigger & faster.  

Hes getting it tight as it’s put, because he actually hasn’t been very good and is keeping a real youngster out the team. I would rather Maguire played than bringing in someone who isn’t any better. 

While I don't disagree with your point regarding Maguire, I'd say that Donnelly has been no worse than Hartley whenever I've seen him...

The spidey senses were tingling when the less than exciting signings started rolling in and fears weren’t exactly put to rest with the league cup group game performances.

But did anyone see absolutely every single player from last season, a group of players that got us to a Scottish cup final, being off the boil every single game coming?

What’s the reason for that?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

14 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

While I don't disagree with your point regarding Maguire, I'd say that Donnelly has been no worse than Hartley whenever I've seen him...

I agree with everyword of that middle paragraph Sieb. I also agree with MelvinBragg re hartley.

22 is a youngster as far as defender is concerned.

Regardless - I'd be amazed if the fans giving him pelters are doing any analysis about who he might be keeping out the team, where their best position is, if he's being adequately supported by the senior pros etc. before they start screaming at him.

I've seen quite a few of the under 20s games over the last year or so and I totally agree what's been said about maguire and donnolly,maguire showed a lot more towards the end of last season than donnolly has in the first team,the same argument could be made when comparing turnbull and gorrin and livingstone and taylor sinclair.im not saying everything would be rosey if these youngsters were in the first team but it really does highlight just how bad our recruitment was over the summer,we never strenghtened the starting line up,robinsons plan was too improve our options from the bench and other than Johnson we have failed in that aspect but yet players who star for the under 20s seem too be further away from the first team than ever right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mfc said:

I've seen quite a few of the under 20s games over the last year or so and I totally agree what's been said about maguire and donnolly,maguire showed a lot more towards the end of last season than donnolly has in the first team,the same argument could be made when comparing turnbull and gorrin and livingstone and taylor sinclair.im not saying everything would be rosey if these youngsters were in the first team but it really does highlight just how bad our recruitment was over the summer,we never strenghtened the starting line up,robinsons plan was too improve our options from the bench and other than Johnson we have failed in that aspect but yet players who star for the under 20s seem too be further away from the first team than ever right now.

NAIL. HAMMER. HEAD

11 hours ago, milo said:

The spidey senses were tingling when the less than exciting signings started rolling in and fears weren’t exactly put to rest with the league cup group game performances.

But did anyone see absolutely every single player from last season, a group of players that got us to a Scottish cup final, being off the boil every single game coming?

What’s the reason for that?

I think that's an important point when we are looking at the new signings. 

The core of last years squad are individually performing below what we know they can. I doubt we're getting the best out the new guys either.