Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

Robinson has had an admirable habit of getting a result or two when the pressure has been on. However, he shouldn’t get the opportunity to do so again. He’s always been a manager of limited ability but his dedication has took him a fair way. Unfortunately, he’s ran out of ideas and the players are no longer responding to his training methods.

Time for change. 

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Yeah, imagine watching a team that was coached properly.

That doesn't have to involved every dinosaur we can dig up from the bone yard.

I think Robbo's time is up.

I'd like to think we'd be looking at options other than the ghosts of Scottish fitba past. Regardless, the next guy gets support until they blow it too.

• Like 1

Burrows and the 'bowling committee' need to get rid of the wee pals act and punt this clown AND Lasley.  Great club servant Las but has been but we need a clean slate and some fresh thinking.  We were rank today.  Within the first 5 mins my and my mates all felt it, it was like a bad smell, we said this is going to be a bad day.  RC were organised and motivated, that Robbo plays a clearly unfit McCormack and his best pal McHugh and leaves Campbell in the bench.  The Spaniard was lostvwhen he came on and Frear has consistently played shite in pretty much every game.  His post match comments were delusional.  His hoofball style has been the worst I've seen in 30 years.  Wanker.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

Burrows and the 'bowling committee' need to get rid of the wee pals act and punt this clown AND Lasley.  Great club servant Las but has been but we need a clean slate and some fresh thinking.  We were rank today.  Within the first 5 mins my and my mates all felt it, it was like a bad smell, we said this is going to be a bad day.  RC were organised and motivated, that Robbo plays a clearly unfit McCormack and his best pal McHugh and leaves Campbell in the bench.  The Spaniard was lostvwhen he came on and Frear has consistently played shite in pretty much every game.  His post match comments were delusional.  His hoofball style has been the worst I've seen in 30 years.  Wanker.

oooohhh are you allowed to say " WANKER " on here  :whistling:

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

That doesn't have to involved every dinosaur we can dig up from the bone yard.

I think Robbo's time is up.

I'd like to think we'd be looking at options other than the ghosts of Scottish fitba past. Regardless, the next guy gets support until they blow it too.

I said 'type'.

As in someone with a track record and expertise in coaching.

9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Fuck me. "Craig Broon type"

We played more football in Brown's first month than we have in almost two years of this clown.

He took over a shambles and got us into Europe. He's also the only Motherwell manager to win a tie against a full time team in Europe.

• Like 2

Despite our recent woes I don’t think there is any need to call the Manager names. We are struggling at he is at the helm so has to shoulder the blame. But he has a valid point regarding the money he has helped to bring into the club. 

You cannot dwell on the negatives and ignore the good work he has done. We could have very easily been in the Championship already had he not steered us to safety in his first few months.  He also deserves credit for the 2 cup finals. 

All that said we are apparently going backwards. Gone is the grit and determination the team had last season. Not a pretty team but effective and prepared to fight - sometimes quite literally. Made up for some limited players and of course we have no Moult or Kipre. 

But the limited players seem to have worsened and their attitude is questionable. What struck me yesterday was that the players just did not seem to care. I like Turnbull but even he seemed disinterested which is a worry. Whether it is solely down to the 3 weeks away from competitive football,  but even then I would have hoped for a better attitude. 

I am not sure we could afford to pay up Robinson’s contract. We will persevere for now and he should get a LITTLE more time to turn it around. I keep saying our budget suggests we should be 9th so arguably despite some of the dross served up this season we and indeed Robinson are not theoretically underperforming in terms of league position. 

My concern however is that if we keep playing like yesterday it may only be a matter of time before we fall back into bottom 2-3 places. If that starts to happen the the club must act. Robinson’s saving grace is that it appears for now as if the 3 teams below us are every bit as poor. 

Have to say Robbo's  post match interview reeked of desperation. Kind of reminded me of some of McGhee final interviews.

Firstly, where does the 4 million gross profit on players come from? Unless we got 2 million for rose, then I'm struggling to add up to half of that. Also, Moult, henegan and bowman - none were signed by him. Though their best form came under him, so I'll let that go.

Regardless 2 million, 4 million, f**king 20 million doesn't matter - weve nothing to show for it. Failed to make a mark on the cup, and doing the minimum to get by in the league. And we're skint because the  seasons budget has been squandered on the 12-18 strategy, and players who are slowly getting replaced by our u20s.

I am seething after yesterday.

11 hours ago, smiddy said:

I only mentioned yogi as a for instance because his name always crops up , but for yogi see stubbs / mixu / danny lennon or any other of the medias favs 

why don't we give it to our FAMOUS FAN  Gordon dalziel :whistling::) 

Did you forget to finish a word in that post,should have read Fannie 

Nothing against Robinson as a person but I definitely  think he has had his time at our club.  Too many times we have been found wanting on the basic attributes of the game. There seems to be No Organisation on the pitch whatsover, defensively we are a shambles apart from a saving grace atm in Gillespie. Our Midfield is Non-existent No ball winners and No awareness throughout the whole team to play fluent football, as for strikers we'd have more success with Bryant & May.

County Yesterday  weren't just up for it, they were a football team who can pass and move  effortlessly and with player awareness that we should have..

I can't say who I would like in to replace Robinson all I know it needs to be a really experienced hand that can motivate and make a team play fluent football at speed.

Our club needs a complete overhaul of Players and Management staff and rid of this old boys act which is doing us no favours for our future.

I just hope we can survive this season to have time to put this all in place.

11 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

Have to say Robbo's  post match interview reeked of desperation. Kind of reminded me of some of McGhee final interviews.

Firstly, where does the 4 million gross profit on players come from? Unless we got 2 million for rose, then I'm struggling to add up to half of that. Also, Moult, henegan and bowman - none were signed by him. Though their best form came under him, so I'll let that go.

Regardless 2 million, 4 million, f**king 20 million doesn't matter - weve nothing to show for it. Failed to make a mark on the cup, and doing the minimum to get by in the league. And we're skint because the  seasons budget has been squandered on the 12-18 strategy, and players who are slowly getting replaced by our u20s.

I am seething after yesterday.

I dont expect us to be world beaters, i expect some determination and application.

Some of our gripes in the last two seasons is that we line up with a team of cloggers and play hoof ball. Well yesterday was different. We lined up with Turnbull, McCormack, Frear, Ariyibi, Johmstone, and yet we still resorted to tried and tested hoofball.

Questions can certainly be asked of fitness and lack of dig in the middle supporting these guys, but in terms of ability, we had enough on that park to run rings around County. The problem is, that we didnt even try. The manager has to shoulder the blame for that. 

I agree with you on that big stall. I agree we've got the players capable of beating county and comfortably avoiding relegation. But we're not doing it.

What gets me is in his interview Robinson almost excuses it by referring to having lost kipre and moult (and also bowman?). Well I don't see a Moult or kipre in county's team, just a team able to play together and wanting to win the game. He refers to the injured cadden, tanner etc.... well this was his strategy to strengthen 12-18, rather than making fewer quality signings. The excuses are not acceptable and directly contradict either his philosiphy, or what he is pointing to as a positive.

Nothing against him as a guy.... forever grateful for digging us out a hole in 2017 and of course the 2 cup final season, but without a doubt we're going backwards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

I agree with you on that big stall. I agree we've got the players capable of beating county and comfortably avoiding relegation. But we're not doing it.

What gets me is in his interview Robinson almost excuses it by referring to having lost kipre and moult (and also bowman?). Well I don't see a Moult or kipre in county's team, just a team able to play together and wanting to win the game. He refers to the injured cadden, tanner etc.... well this was his strategy to strengthen 12-18, rather than making fewer quality signings. The excuses are not acceptable and directly contradict either his philosiphy, or what he is pointing to as a positive.

Nothing against him as a guy.... forever grateful for digging us out a hole in 2017 and of course the 2 cup final season, but without a doubt we're going backwards.

I blame the fans.

40 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Some of our gripes in the last two seasons is that we line up with a team of cloggers and play hoof ball. Well yesterday was different. We lined up with Turnbull, McCormack, Frear, Ariyibi, Johmstone, and yet we still resorted to tried and tested hoofball.

Questions can certainly be asked of fitness and lack of dig in the middle supporting these guys, but in terms of ability, we had enough on that park to run rings around County. The problem is, that we didnt even try. The manager has to shoulder the blame for that.

The problem is that of the players you mentioned Turnbull was played out of position; Ariyibi was probably not match fit and is still getting to know his colleagues; McCormack was so unfit he should have been nowhere near the starting line up; and Johnson will never ever be a target man who can play up front on his own.  I've said often enough in the past that talent alone does not win games.  You have to have solid, physical aggressive types with dig to win the ball and go toe to toe in midfield battles.  It has to be a balance.  If the opposition won't give you the ball voluntarily, and I suspect we did ask Ross County  politely to do so and they told us to f**k o*f then you need to set about them and physically take the ball off them whether they like it or not.  Our line up yesterday rendered us incapable of doing that. All fur coat, albeit a tatty one, and no knickers.

You are right in that the manager must shoulder the blame; in my opinion for planning the wrong tactics, selecting the wrong players and failing to motivate those he did pick.  

I agree with MFC88 and would add that County had about 6 players out for various reasons yesterday.

18 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

I don’t listen to his interviews anymore but if that’s the stuff he’s now coming out with then he’s lost the plot.

As ever, I don't think it's as completely black and white as people make out.

The most frustrating thing for me is the manager has shown in places he can do what people are criticising him for. But just not consistently and not convincingly to the extent we need in my opinion. 

He has it in him to organize a team (see when he came in at first), he can coach and is a good proven coach at what he does (see Moult opinion on recent Open Goal podcast, comments from the N.Ireland setup) and he can change things when it's going wrong (see countless times we've changed formation early in the game).

My two main issues are that:

- For all the recent chat,   I'm not convinced he can truly see beyond the 'be strong, earn the right to play, if you can't defend you don't get in the team' ethos. Creative players have been sidelined  and only after weeks of dross been given a chance. Some have taken that chance, others not. This ethos has impacted our transfer policy, tactics, player development and preparation for games. Does he have it in him truly to prepare players in any other way? I'm not sure he does and perhaps is now hiding behind comments like 'we won't out pass teams' for his own failings.

- I'm not convinced he can pick the correct starting 11 consistently, or deviate from the basic tactic ethos of 'direct ball to front, or trying to fling balls in from wode'.  Above, I called out he wasnt scared to change it, which is good. But in the flip side he shouldn't have to change it so much. 

Ultimately, I think he has 1 way to play, is good at coaching/prepping for that, but throw some injuries in, not able to acquire the players he really wants/need for that and then he begins to struggle to change it and we get players out of position, tactics not suited to games and youth not being given a chance because they might make a mistake. 

He was absolutely what we needed post McGhee, but I think he's now struggling and I'm not sure we have the time (nor fan patience) for the manager to try and develop himself into something else, and be able to coach and prepare a team in a more creative ethos that he is probably quiet alien to.  I do also think he himself probably knows that's given the recent change in demeanour and comments post match. Looked very down beat during the game yesterday.

Starting to feel very much like the end of McCalls time when he admitted he ran out of ideas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, superward said:

- For all the recent chat,   I'm not convinced he can truly see beyond the 'be strong, earn the right to play, if you can't defend you don't get in the team' ethos. Creative players have been sidelined  and only after weeks of dross been given a chance. Some have taken that chance, others not. This ethos has impacted our transfer policy, tactics, player development and preparation for games. Does he have it in him truly to prepare players in any other way? I'm not sure he does and perhaps is now hiding behind comments like 'we won't out pass teams' for his own failings.

- I'm not convinced he can pick the correct starting 11 consistently, or deviate from the basic tactic ethos of 'direct ball to front, or trying to fling balls in from wode'. 

Agree with much of what you say, but this season we have been physically a bit more lightweight and battered by a few teams eg Livingston.  For all his propensity to play the long ball he's never really had or bought in the players to execute that successfully. You do need wide players to provide the ammunition and maybe we're starting to bring them in but you also need big physical players to get on the end of crosses and do damage in the opposition box.  We've never really had that with the possible exception of Bowman and thats arguable.  This season and certainly yesterday we haven't been consistently strong enough to earn the right to play.   Yesterday its almost as if he said to the fans well you wanted an entire team of ball players you've got it.  No halfway house its one way or the other.