Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

3 hours ago, Al B said:

Stephen Robinson was asked to get us a run in the cups. He's reached two finals. (You can talk all you want about how losing 2 finals isn't an achievement, but he wasn't asked to WIN cups, he was asked to get a run in cups, and he achieved that, therefore in the tick-box exercise that is a company performance review, it's an achievement).

He was asked to bring in money through player sales. Club has brought in more money under him than any other manager (I think).

He was asked to keep us clear of a relegation battle. We are comfortably clear of a relegation battle.

He was asked to do it all within a very restricted budget. He has done that.

He was asked to promote youth into the first team. He has done that.

In the form table over the last 5 games, we're 6th.

In the form table over the last 10 games, we're 6th.

In the form table over the last 15 games, we're....yup, you guessed it... 6th.

Now, you can debate opinion on how much you enjoy the games, how you feel we're doing, who you think should play, how you think we should set up.... until the cows come home, I have mine, everyone else has theirs, and they are probably all variations of a theme. However, the club look at the things on the list, a return on their remit. It's objective and it's fact based.

Putting aside what you "think" or "feel" for a moment. Could we as a club get a manager that would exceed what's on that list above? Are the club going to want to get rid of someone that's exceeded everything in the remit that they put in front of him? What has he not delivered on that would make the club consider his position?

Sorry if you're not happy, but it doesn't matter what you or I think. It's not about opinions. Stephen Robinson is currently in the middle of being an extremely successful Motherwell manager relative to what the club have asked of him, and that's what his employment status is based on. The idea that they would even be considering punting him is a massive LOL.

Couldn’t have put it any better. Absolutely spot on. If anyone thinks Robinson is getting binned any time soon, they will be sorely disappointed. Particularly as if Las goes as well it’ll be Aileen Anderson taking the team until a replacement is found! 

Hes doing everything asked of him by the board, whether you or I like the style he’s doing it in doesn’t really come in to it until fans start to leave in their droves of which there’s no evidence of. 

The County game and the post match interview were a car crash, no doubt, bu from his recent interviews and signings he’s clearly aware he needs to change it. Having been set up to play a certain way (and been fairly successful at it) for the last 2 years, it might take a bit longer than a couple of training sessions in Tenerife for it to work.

12 minutes ago, Dezz said:

Couldn’t have put it any better. Absolutely spot on. If anyone thinks Robinson is getting binned any time soon, they will be sorely disappointed. Particularly as if Las goes as well it’ll be Aileen Anderson taking the team until a replacement is found! 

Hes doing everything asked of him by the board, whether you or I like the style he’s doing it in doesn’t really come in to it until fans start to leave in their droves of which there’s no evidence of. 

The County game and the post match interview were a car crash, no doubt, bu from his recent interviews and signings he’s clearly aware he needs to change it. Having been set up to play a certain way (and been fairly successful at it) for the last 2 years, it might take a bit longer than a couple of training sessions in Tenerife for it to work.

He’s made it pretty clear he’s going to change the style of play and just as clearly that it’s going to take time. Last night was a clear change and he showed some balls dropping the players that needed dropping. We still need a target man up top because sadly it’s just not working out for Main or Johnstone but other than that there were lots of signs of where we could be heading. Good to see Gorin getting more game time, i’ve always though that he had something about him and last night showed he could have a future with us if he’s given a chance.

19 hours ago, Yodo said:

If we lose tonight I would expect him to be gone in the morning ,can't work out why people still want to give him the benefit of the doubt . I have no doubt we won't be relagated but that is because the teams below us are terrible however if Accies do their usual and manage a run and Dundee get their act together then we could end up in the play off position .

What do you think, bin him or benefit of the doubt?  Or wait til Saturday or the next defeat?

25 minutes ago, ropy said:

What do you think, bin him or benefit of the doubt?  Or wait til Saturday or the next defeat?

Wasn't at the game last night totally pissed off after the cup game but it's a welcome 3 points and our young guns were at the core of the victory .Can he change the style with the players he has signed time will tell.People  will say he was brave last night to leave out players he has went with all season but Robinson knew he had to take desperate measures so fair play to him . Watched the game on Alba good first half but second half wasn't so good ,as somebody posted when Robinson needs a result he usually gets it .As I said we won't go down and looks like Robinson won't be going anywhere soon even though his record over the last season and a half has been rotten .He has the chance to "entertain " the FP faithful till the end of the season lets hope he does 

5 hours ago, Al B said:

Stephen Robinson was asked to get us a run in the cups. He's reached two finals. (You can talk all you want about how losing 2 finals isn't an achievement, but he wasn't asked to WIN cups, he was asked to get a run in cups, and he achieved that, therefore in the tick-box exercise that is a company performance review, it's an achievement).

He was asked to bring in money through player sales. Club has brought in more money under him than any other manager (I think).

He was asked to keep us clear of a relegation battle. We are comfortably clear of a relegation battle.

Now, you can debate opinion on how much you enjoy the games, how you feel we're doing, who you think should play, how you think we should set up.... until the cows come home, I have mine, everyone else has theirs, and they are probably all variations of a theme. However, the club look at the things on the list, a return on their remit. It's objective and it's fact based.

Putting aside what you "think" or "feel" for a moment. Could we as a club get a manager that would exceed what's on that list above? Are the club going to want to get rid of someone that's exceeded everything in the remit that they put in front of him? What has he not delivered on that would make the club consider his position?

Sorry if you're not happy, but it doesn't matter what you or I think. It's not about opinions. Stephen Robinson is currently in the middle of being an extremely successful Motherwell manager relative to what the club have asked of him, and that's what his employment status is based on. The idea that they would even be considering punting him is a massive LOL.

Great Post, I think like most people on Saturday I wouldn't have been disappointed had he chosen to go however by Monday morning when the anger has lessened you sit and think who else could we get in that would fulfill all the criteria listed above. 

I watched the steelmen documentary on Friday night and actually commented how I think Robinson is the manager closest to Tommy McLean we have had. Wee Tommy's side was built from the back and it was a wee while before he got any sort of entertaining attacking performances from the team. My memories may be slightly hazy as I was only 7 when I started going regularly in 1986 but it wasn't until the likes of Bobby Russell and Davie Cooper came in that we looked like we had any sort of attacking threat. 

Again after last night it's easy to paint things as all being rosy in the garden (it's far from it) but Robinson at least showed that he is willing to send out a team that looked like they wanted to play a bit of football. Of course we now need to try and get a wee run going and not go back to the lose 4 or 5 games in a row by looking like a team that's never met each other before pulling out a performance like that when it looks like the manager's peg is not only shoogly but has come right out and is only being kept up because its caught on the peg next to it. 

3 hours ago, Bart Verheul said:

Again after last night it's easy to paint things as all being rosy in the garden (it's far from it) but Robinson at least showed that he is willing to send out a team that looked like they wanted to play a bit of football. Of course we now need to try and get a wee run going and not go back to the lose 4 or 5 games in a row by looking like a team that's never met each other before pulling out a performance like that when it looks like the manager's peg is not only shoogly but has come right out and is only being kept up because its caught on the peg next to it. 

Spot on .The only reason he is still in a job is because there are three rubbish teams below us if they weren't there he would have been shown the door a while back 

46 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Spot on .The only reason he is still in a job is because there are three rubbish teams below us 

I know, right? All these fancy leagues with their points for winning and their positions in the table. It's just not fair that we are better than some other teams.

Not his biggest fan but he does have the habit of getting the team to put in a performance every so often. So frustrating he can't seem to get them to do so on a regular basis.  

His team selection last night was brave, and it worked. Lets hope he sticks with this set up and gets the players playing with this intensity  for the remainder of the season. It was a pleasure to be at the game last night.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dezz said:

A few food points made on the merits of keeping Robinson, however this one in particular I'm not so sure about. 

We've got a steady core home support of between probably 3400 - 4000 depending on how we are doing. We had 2900 odd home fans last night.

I don't know the financial impact if that remained consistent, but the board must take that drop into consideration with everything else. 

10 minutes ago, CoF said:

A few food points made on the merits of keeping Robinson, however this one in particular I'm not so sure about. 

We've got a steady core home support of between probably 3400 - 4000 depending on how we are doing. We had 2900 odd home fans last night.

I don't know the financial impact if that remained consistent, but the board must take that drop into consideration with everything else. 

The weather not a consideration ? St Johnstone had 1900

15 hours ago, Al B said:

This is a great post. 1,000,000% on point.

I have been the biggest moaner about the entertainment value over the past year but I know there is no chance that he's getting sacked.

I am looking forward to seeing how we go forward. Robbo did make it sound as if he was forced to play a more "footballing" style but I am hopeful yet!

27 minutes ago, CoF said:

No need to worry. Midweek games always attract far fewer fans. Add in a freezing night in January and you have your explanation. Had the game been played on a Saturday you'd be looking at 5,500ish maybe?

I’m sure I’ve said before that we seem to find it easier to get points from teams above us in the league as they are more likely to play an attacking game which give us gaps to exploit but teams like those below us and Livingston  close shop and we just don’t have the class to break them down. 

3 hours ago, CoF said:

As a few other have said, a mid-week game in freezing conditions with the added fact its the week before pay day in January which has likely been a 5-week month for most folk if they were paid early before Christmas. 

If we have less than 3,500 at our next few home games then it’s a valid point and certainly something the board should take into consideration. Was this season not the highest ST sales for a good few years too though (could be wrong) ?

8 minutes ago, Dezz said:

If we have less than 3,500 at our next few home games then it’s a valid point and certainly something the board should take into consideration. Was this season not the highest ST sales for a good few years too though (could be wrong) ? 

We have the highest number of season ticket holders but a lot of them will be freebies.

6 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Everytime i see rotund ab he looks and sounds out his depth. Def need new chief exec. Even mixes up his story about being at 91 final. Need more qualified staff deciding  next manager.

Poetic license I'm sure, pretty sure by now I had 17 pints in the stag and 2 bottle of buckfast before entering Hampden.  I'm sure like most jobs, if he was shit and got found out the director's would bag him.

4 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Poetic license I'm sure, pretty sure by now I had 17 pints in the stag and 2 bottle of buckfast before entering Hampden.  I'm sure like most jobs, if he was shit and got found out the director's would bag him.

Take your point on board. I was 17 at final but do remember it. Dont even care if he was there. Your right that there is merit sytmem. He is maybe not good looking or slim but as long as he helps balance books its fine. Manager does that though. Just prefer more pro person .

26 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Everytime i see rotund ab he looks and sounds out his depth. Def need new chief exec. Even mixes up his story about being at 91 final. Need more qualified staff deciding  next manager.

I'm not sure what you're referring to but he'd have been what...6 or 7 years old ffs? I'm sure we can forgive any recollections not being pin-sharp.

Not sure how you can feel that one of the most widely respected voices in Scottish football within other clubs, governing bodies, and sports media, who was elected onto the SPFL board of Directors, sounds out of their depth?

Edited to add....the post you've just added while I was typing this, answers my question. I'm not going to comment on it....it says more about you than any response ever could.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Al B said:

He'd have been what...7 years old ffs?

Not sure how you can feel that one of the most widely respected voices in Scottish football within other clubs, governing bodies, and sports media, can sound out of their depth?

Edited to add....the post you've just added while I was typing this, answers my question. I'm not going to comment on it....it says more about you than any response ever could.

Chief in charge of one of worst run of results in our history. Respected by who? I for ones not happy with 9th place.