Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

6 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Chief in charge of one of worst run of results in our history. Respected by who? I for ones not happy with 9th place.

In our history?  When did our history start for you?  No way were you 17 in 1991 if you think being 6th in form over the last 15 matches or 9th over 21 is our worst run in history. 

Hell you're not even 17 now

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 12:56 PM, Shotts Well Fan said:

Canning leaves Accies. Replacement for Robbo.:scare:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hamilton-accies/martin-canning-leaves-hamilton-by-mutual-consent-1-4863979

Only joking by the way!!!!!!

It does mean that the 3 clubs below us and the 2 clubs immediately above us have fired their managers this season.

So Robinson in a sense is very much a sole survivor.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Just want to update this post. Hes doin fine! Very articulate man in media. Saved us from relegation when just in job. Got us to 2 cup finals. Beating gers along the way. Blooding youngsters at right time. Now we can see progress. Difficult period but he has vision. Support the man!

I'm glad at the way things are going recently but let's be clear about this.

We've won 4 games in a row with a year of absolute turgid shite behind them.

Hopefully we go in the right direction now, there are signs we might, signs of a different philosophy taking root, but it's taken Robinson a long time to enact changes that a lot of punters could have told him to do last October or even before then.  These victories only underline how badly wrong Robinson got it for so long before hand.

In my opinion he's lucky to still be in the job, and not just once but on a couple of occasions, but I'm not a hypocrite, I  will support him if I see the criteria I've outlined so many times before being ticked.

I hope he continues to do so.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Hopefully we go in the right direction now, there are signs we might, signs of a different philosophy taking root, but it's taken Robinson a long time to enact changes that a lot of punters could have told him to do last October or even before then.  These victories only underline how badly wrong Robinson got it for so long before hand.

In my opinion he's lucky to still be in the job, and not just once but on a couple of occasions, but I'm not a hypocrite, I  will support him if I see the criteria I've outlined so many times before being ticked.

Appreciate your comment ya Bezzer. Ive probably  not been to as many games as you have. As i work 2 saturdays per month and ones I did see early on were turgid affairs.  I do think Robbo has sonething. No manager has all tbe answers and its frustrating when we see fault and he dont. However , he is more open to change than mccall and mcgoo. And I for 1 is excited about what this team can do. 

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Yes, 4 crucial games at a crucial time. As you have often pointed out, he has had a generally poor win record, but more often than not, Robinson has an ability to get the team to perform when really needed.

I think the timing of the shift of style is an interesting one. Was it out of necessity to survive or desperation for his job retention?

Or, to play devils advocate, has it always been planned to be so? I mean, perhaps he’s chosen to change now because the likes of Turnbull and Hastie are now ready to come through and have a new style of play built around them?

is it a coincidence that the change came just before a transfer window?

I honestly don’t know and won’t ever likely know, but either way, I hope the new style takes on whichever way it’s come about.

The continued development of the young players has been key and he’s always said he would bring them in,  but only when the timing was right for both them and the club. Personally I think that’s responsible management which should be applauded. Hastie is a great example of someone who could have come in too early and gone backwards because of it. Scott is not being rushed which for me is again the correct thing to do, Maguire will be next. I’m just glad the board did not panic and sack Robinson which would have been a huge mistake in my view and could have ended up costing us a place in the top flight if they got the next guy wrong. Yes the football under Robinson has been very poor, no arguement there and he’s definitely got it wrong at times, the cup against Ross county a prime example but he’s also got it right just as often in big games. Anyway regardless I now believe the uncertainty regarding next season is over and we won’t be changing manager, in my view that’s a good thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Just want to update this post. Hes doin fine! Very articulate man in media. Saved us from relegation when just in job. Got us to 2 cup finals. Beating gers along the way. Blooding youngsters at right time. Now we can see progress. Difficult period but he has vision. Support the man!

What happened to Roasterwood and the attack on Burrow’s weight, was that the drink talking?

I think Robinson deserves a bit of credit for the change of style. Many a manager would have been too stubborn to change and would have ended up with the sack - which would have enventually have come if he hadn’t attempted to change it.

• Like 1

I think it's sometimes easy to forget that just like the young players coming into the first team, Robinson is very much a beginner in the management game. Aside from a strange six month period at Oldham where he started pre-season with a grand total of seven contracted players and was hit with a transfer embargo in the November following his appointment he'd only ever been an assistant.

He's learning the game, and much like his time at Oldham he's operating under pretty restrictive financial constraints. I know some don't like it when this is brought up, but it's true. When you're spending what we are you have a very limited pool of quality players to choose from, and if you reach a transfer window and there's no one that you like the look of in your price range or who's interested in coming to Motherwell you can find yourself with some problems.

And that's not to mention the amount of times we'll have identified a player, made contact and gotten a verbal sign of interest only for another club with better finances to come in and take him instead.

It's easy to say that the punter in the stand knew long before that the changes he's making now needed to be made, but it's one thing to see that changes are required, and a totally different matter being able to bring in the players on our budget to do so. 

Fans tend to say shit like "we need to bring in a winger," which is all well & good, but what if there's no decent wingers available who would want to come here, or who would be willing to accept the money we can offer? What then?

Honestly, if football management was that easy then the clubs wouldn't be paying their managers as much as they do across the board, would they? They'd just get some fan in for a few hundred quid a week.

It looks like we're starting to reap the benefits of Craigan's influence in the youth set up, which is fantastic. A club our size needs to have those players coming through. Let's just hope that we can continue in that vein with Craigan gone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, David said:

I think it's sometimes easy to forget that just like the young players coming into the first team, Robinson is very much a beginner in the management game. Aside from a strange six month period at Oldham where he started pre-season with a grand total of seven contracted players and was hit with a transfer embargo in the November following his appointment he'd only ever been an assistant.

He's learning the game, and much like his time at Oldham he's operating under pretty restrictive financial constraints. I know some don't like it when this is brought up, but it's true. When you're spending what we are you have a very limited pool of quality players to choose from, and if you reach a transfer window and there's no one that you like the look of in your price range or who's interested in coming to Motherwell you can find yourself with some problems.

And that's not to mention the amount of times we'll have identified a player, made contact and gotten a verbal sign of interest only for another club with better finances to come in and take him instead.

It's easy to say that the punter in the stand knew long before that the changes he's making now needed to be made, but it's one thing to see that changes are required, and a totally different matter being able to bring in the players on our budget to do so. 

Fans tend to say shit like "we need to bring in a winger," which is all well & good, but what if there's no decent wingers available who would want to come here, or who would be willing to accept the money we can offer? What then?

Honestly, if football management was that easy then the clubs wouldn't be paying their managers as much as they do across the board, would they? They'd just get some fan in for a few hundred quid a week.

It looks like we're starting to reap the benefits of Craigan's influence in the youth set up, which is fantastic. A club our size needs to have those players coming through. Let's just hope that we can continue in that vein with Craigan gone.

Exactly the stuff I’ve been thinking but put in a far better way.

9 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Unfortunately now the man is a genius he will be wanted by some EPL team before long 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Unfortunately now the man is a genius he will be wanted by some EPL team before long 

There is actually a chance he will be poached by a club down south. That’s going to be the most likely way he leaves us. Come on Yodo I bet you can’t wait to predict relegation again next season ;)

3 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

There is actually a chance he will be poached by a club down south. That’s going to be the most likely way he leaves us. Come on Yodo I bet you can’t wait to predict relegation again next season ;)

There's no way we will end up in the 2nd Division or what ever it's called. Is there?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, David said:

Some people are glass half full, and some are glass half empty. When it comes to Yodo he doesn't even have a fucking glass to begin with.

Straight from the green bottle lol.

To be fair to Yodo, he/she has actually been fairly complimentary of the team lately. Of course, with the upcoming fixtures, I’m sure there will be opportunity for the full vitriol.

I’m just content that it’s just turned February and we are as good as safe from a relegation battle.