Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

Criticism is part and parcel of a football managers job and up to the turn of the year in my opinion our manager deserved every negative word written about him . His statement at the start of the season that he would only strengthen the bench put him under pressure right away and the start we made and style of play  just added to it .If your honest going to Fir Park became  a bit of a chore and the negativity on the pitch spread into the stands and fans who were getting really exasperated came on here to let off steam but such is the nature of the game some of our fans thought he was doing a good job which added to the debate. I honestly believe if we hadn't beat Accies at the turn of the year he would have been sacked but not only did we win but somewhere at that time he decided to change our playing style ,job pressure or not you have to give him credit for that .However as he said himself he got the cup game all wrong and that's why we have a free Saturday coming up but the change since then has been a breathe of fresh air. Giving the young players a chance is what the majority of the fans have been waiting for and you can feel the positive attitude towards the team now from the stands . We will see ups and downs till the end of the season but if he continues to give youth a chance and we keep playing the way we have been recently then I wouldn't expect to read much criticism of the manager on here 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The question about Robinson now is will his fifth transfer window be any better than his first four?

Can the man who thought Connor Sammon was a legitimate signing bring in the players we need this summer......

Is that the same man that brought in Carson, Gillespie, Dunne, Kipré, Aldred, Tanner, Gorrin and Johnson? I'm not Robinson's biggest fan but people have selective memories when criticising his transfer record. Most of the signings that didn't work (Fisher, Plummer, Petravicius, Taylor-Sinclair), he moved on pretty quickly....

• Like 3

I've said elsewhere on social media, that the current style of play is great and coupled with a winning run, you have to give the management team a pat on the back and congratulate them. However, to suggest that Robinson didn't deserve the criticism he was getting, is utterly mental. For the previous 12months or so, prior to this month, we have been utter dugshite, in results and performances. We persisted with a formation that clearly didn't work anymore, a tactic of shelling long balls at folk who struggled to time a jump and continued to play players who weren't performing.  At the moment, I'm liking what I see, however as recently as December I was sick to the back teeth of watching the same match every single week, and it became a chore, without a shadow of a doubt.

These youngsters that we've brought in, are playing without fear, they are eager to impress and the likes of Gorrin and Main, look like they are thriving playing alongside them. I know its easy to say in hindsight, but why weren't these boys really involved sooner?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The question about Robinson now is will his fifth transfer window be any better than his first four?

Can the man who thought Connor Sammon was a legitimate signing bring in the players we need this summer......

C'mon tae fuck Steelboy, every manager makes a mess of a transfer every now and again.

For all we know, Hearts said, 'do you want Connor Sammon on loan for £100 a week'? Absolutely no risk attached to the signing and we cut him loose at the end of the season. I'd be more inclined to question, why we signed Bigirimana and then choose to lump the ball over his head whenever he played.

16 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Is that the same man that brought in Carson, Gillespie, Dunne, Kipré, Aldred, Tanner, Gorrin and Johnson? I'm not Robinson's biggest fan but people have selective memories when criticising his transfer record. Most of the signings that didn't work (Fisher, Plummer, Petravicius, Taylor-Sinclair), he moved on pretty quickly.... 

Two keepers and three centre backs there. He was reluctant to play Tanner until he had to (see also Turnbull and Campbell). The jury is still out on Gorrin until he plays some better teams and Johnson is a dud.

The issues are that we haven't had a left back in two years and he doesn't seem capable of signing anyone who can make an impact in the final third.

7 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

C'mon tae fuck Steelboy, every manager makes a mess of a transfer every now and again.

For all we know, Hearts said, 'do you want Connor Sammon on loan for £100 a week'? Absolutely no risk attached to the signing and we cut him loose at the end of the season. I'd be more inclined to question, why we signed Bigirimana and then choose to lump the ball over his head whenever he played. 

We will be paying Sammon a decent wage by our standards.

I just don't have any faith in the manager who picked the team that goes us knocked out the cup. And why he keeps on playing an unfit McCormack is completely beyond me. A few wins over absolute bottom six dross doesn't change that especially as it has been mainly down to academy products. We will see how we do against the better sides.

You've nae idea what we are paying Sammon...

...the cup was a disaster without a doubt, he underestimated our opponents. Rossco needs minutes on the park otherwise it was pointless us bringing the guy in. We are bottom six dross mate, we have been beating our peers for the last 5 matches, if we get beat against Hearts, Killie and Celtic, no one will be surprised at all.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

The issues are that we haven't had a left back in two years and he doesn't seem capable of signing anyone who can make an impact in the final third.

When we were playing a back 3 we didn't need a left back (and it was a back three that lead to 20 clean sheets in one season).

29 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Totally agree. It's strange to read people say "X will be on a decent wage" when in reality people don't have a fuckin clue who's on what.

Saying he will be on a normal wage for a Motherwell striker is surely more likely than saying it could be 100 quid a week

There is criticism which of course does come with the job, even thought it’s still sometimes unjustified, and downright abuse  and I include Burrows in that. I think to state he deserves every abusive word is just plain wrong. There has been some way over the top stuff at times.

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

There is criticism which of course does come with the job, even thought it’s still sometimes unjustified, and downright abuse  and I include Burrows in that. I think to state they deserve every word has been justified is just plain wrong. There has been some way over the top stuff at times.

Stand by what I said about the criticism don't agree with the abuse Burrows received .The manager picks the team lays out the tactics and up till recently he got it badly wrong and cost us a cup run 

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Tait played on the wrong side all last year as well and full backs contribute to going forward as much as defence these days.

That doesn't alter the fact at all that he played a formation (successfully for the most part) that didn't use full backs... There would no doubt have been criticism if he'd signed 2 full backs to sit and collect a wage or he'd shoehorned them in the side.

Tait playing on the left is just another example of the modern trend for playing guys on their 'wrong' side so they can cut inside. Hastie is very left footed but plays on the right, Aryibi is the opposite just now and that's working well.

Christ, we're on a 5 game unbeaten league run, second in the form table only because C comes before M in the alphabet and folk still want to look for things to criticise...

11 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

So when was the last time we won 6 in a row?      Next game Hearts at home.      Not easy but still a winnable game if we play well. Once again lets concentrate on what we can do and try to win our game but at the same time lets hope other results are in our favour and St. Johnstone get beat.   COYW:clapping:

So where are all the stats geeks? Oops I mean experts.  When was last time we won 6 in a row? What’s our record?  Robinson got us most shutouts in a season. Got us 2 finals in a season. Will he get us longest run of victories? 

Not classing myself as a geek here. But Soccerbase tells me: 6 league wins in a row 2013/2014 under McCall when we finished 2nd.

Ross County, St Mirren, Aberdeen, Partick, St. Johnstone....and the 6th win... Hearts!

Also the season Albion pumped us out the Scottish Cup first time of asking.

Sound familiar?

11 hours ago, steelboy said:

I just don't have any faith in the manager who picked the team that goes us knocked out the cup. And why he keeps on playing an unfit McCormack is completely beyond me. 

To be fair, I think there’s quite a lot that’s beyond you Steelboy.

Very short sighted way of thinking. I do wonder why some folk go to the football when it makes them so fuckin miserable 

49 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

To be fair, I think there’s quite a lot that’s beyond you Steelboy.

Very short sighted way of thinking. I do wonder why some folk go to the football when it makes them so fuckin miserable 

What you doing tomorrow Gadgey ? Like the rest of us you won't be in Fir Park because of the manager 

Does that mean he’s had no faith in any of our managers over the last 28 years?

Seeing as every single one of them has picked a team that’s seen us knocked out of the cup.

That’s quite depressing, even for a Motherwell fan

Why do posters bother with the wind up merchants ?   They are so obvious like a glo in the dark stick. 

Robinson deserves criticism for most of this season, but behind all that is one of the lowest budgets in the top flight.

Most sensible fans could see he had something about him. 2 cup finals for only then 2nd time in our entire history. On the back of a reduced budget to boot.

I could list the names but no need, most fans know who they are. The miserable brigade. Still find something to moan about after 5 league wins on the bounce. Here is a clue. Anyone who is still negative on the back of those results need to stop winding the good folk on this forum up. But then they have bugger all left to do in their miserable lives.......

• Like 1

Like a few others I was beginning to lose faith in Robbo going into the winter shutdown.  We failed to kick on after last season and the summer recruitment drive was less than successful.  I didn't like the longball style of footie we played but was lesss concerned than many others about that.  What concerned me most was our poor results.  However Robbo has turned it around suddenly and dramatically.  We're now winning gmaes albeit against bottom 6 opposition but we're also playing attractive footie with home grown talent featuring prominently.  So, I take my C&A hat off to him. 

What he has done, unlike many others before him, such as Maurice Malpas,  is acknowledge he had made mistakes and change things.  Thats why I've really warmed to him in the last month or so.  No manager is going to get things 100% right be it tactics or signings.  He's really turned things around and deserves credit for that.  I'm happy to say that my opinion of him  was wrong. 

• Like 4

On 2/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, Kmcalpin said:

Like a few others I was beginning to lose faith in Robbo going into the winter shutdown.  We failed to kick on after last season and the summer recruitment drive was less than successful.  I didn't like the longball style of footie we played but was lesss concerned than many others about that.  What concerned me most was our poor results.  However Robbo has turned it around suddenly and dramatically.  We're now winning gmaes albeit against bottom 6 opposition but we're also playing attractive footie with home grown talent featuring prominently.  So, I take my C&A hat off to him. 

What he has done, unlike many others before him, such as Maurice Malpas,  is acknowledge he had made mistakes and change things.  Thats why I've really warmed to him in the last month or so.  No manager is going to get things 100% right be it tactics or signings.  He's really turned things around and deserves credit for that.  I'm happy to say that my opinion of him  was wrong. 

I have been a member on these boards since 2009. Over time you get to know the posters. They remain anonymous but their forum names become well known to the people who read the forum regularly. I have absolutely no problem with differences of opinion. It is the differences of opinion that make these boards successful. 

The post above resonates with me for two reasons, one because Kmcaplin (whoever you are) is a great example for me of a familiar name on these boards, who's opinion I sometimes disagree with but always respect because the opinions are always reasonable, fair and rational. He (I am assuming he because of my narrow minded, last century view of the footballing world) never that I can recall, attacks players or managers personally and seems to have a sensible view of Motherwell's natural position in the footballing food chain.

A poster above said 'Criticism is part and parcel of a football managers job'. Sadly, this is true, but sometimes that is an excuse to allow faceless people on football forums to hurl all sorts of abuse at managers, when quite possibly these same people are not reaching the elite heights of excellence and performance in their own lives. We put an expectation on football managers at times that goes beyond what is reasonable.

Secondly this post resonates with me because by admitting that possible she (in the interests of balance and with the pretense of having an enlightened view of the modern world) got it wrong, Kmcalpin displays the same attributes that Stevie Robinson has shown in turning our season round. The ability to see that mistakes were made and change it is a sign of a very good manager. My feeling is that in Stevie Robinson we may actually have won a watch. Time will tell.

This is a very long winded way of saying that the post above is a great post!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, star sail said:

I have been a member on these boards since 2009. Over time you get to know the posters. They remain anonymous but their forum names become well known to the people who read the forum regularly. I have absolutely no problem with differences of opinion. It is the differences of opinion that make these boards successful. 

The post above resonates with me for two reasons, one because Kmcaplin (whoever you are) is a great example for me of a familiar name on these boards, who's opinion I sometimes disagree with but always respect because the opinions are always reasonable, fair and rational. He (I am assuming he because of my narrow minded, last century view of the footballing world) never that I can recall, attacks players or managers personally and seems to have a sensible view of Motherwell's natural position in the footballing food chain.

A poster above said 'Criticism is part and parcel of a football managers job'. Sadly, this is true, but sometimes that is an excuse to allow faceless people on football forums to hurl all sorts of abuse at managers, when quite possibly these same people are not reaching the elite heights of excellence and performance in their own lives. We put an expectation on football managers at times that goes beyond what is reasonable.

Secondly this post resonates with me because by admitting that possible she (in the interests of balance and with the pretense of having an enlightened view of the modern world) got it wrong, Kmcalpin displays the same attributes that Stevie Robinson has shown in turning our season round. The ability to see that mistakes were made and change it is a sign of a very good manager. My feeling is that in Stevie Robinson we may actually have won a watch. Time will tell.

This is a very long winded way of saying that the post above is a great post!!!

As his posts just about always are in my view.