Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

On 8/23/2020 at 7:37 AM, milo said:

We don’t need a Klopp or a Bielsa but we do need a manager than doesn’t  see us lose to Accies at home every season. We also need a manager who every now and then can sign a goal scorer, not sign 8 forward players of varying levels of pish that replaced the unused absolute dross that never played and was jettisoned from the previous season. Maybe not chasing proven goal scorers like McDonald and Ainsworth away either.

The last time we only took 2 points from our opening 5 games was season 83/84, the last time we were relegated. Took us until 8 games in to win that season and only won 4 all season. What’s the odds on us beating that this season?

I would take you up on that offer of beating that amount, this team is nowhere as bad as some of the late 70s , early 80s teams. I would agree that there is so little between most of the teams that fine margins will win games,, there doesn’t look a stick on for relegation or third place.

Robbo is under pressure and rightly so and between his body language on saturday and comments after the game,he looks like he is struggling to find the solution to our problems.granted he has got team selection and substitutions wrong already this season but the players need to be taking there share of the blame,it's there decision making that's been the real problem so far,2 idiotic decisions that led to penalties that have cost us points,grimshaw and ohara daydreaming and losing there man from cross balls has cost us points,donnollys lazy penalty and then half the team were ball watching and allowing livingston to play through us like liverpool has cost us another goal.the manager will always be the first to come under pressure but its high time our players got the finger out and started putting in some performances,were not the greatest side in the world but were much better than what we have served up so far this season.fingers crossed thursday is a turning point for us.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, mfc said:

Robbo is under pressure and rightly so and between his body language on saturday and comments after the game,he looks like he is struggling to find the solution to our problems.granted he has got team selection and substitutions wrong already this season but the players need to be taking there share of the blame,it's there decision making that's been the real problem so far,2 idiotic decisions that led to penalties that have cost us points,grimshaw and ohara daydreaming and losing there man from cross balls has cost us points,donnollys lazy penalty and then half the team were ball watching and allowing livingston to play through us like liverpool has cost us another goal.the manager will always be the first to come under pressure but its high time our players got the finger out and started putting in some performances,were not the greatest side in the world but were much better than what we have served up so far this season.fingers crossed thursday is a turning point for us.

Totally agree with that. 

1 hour ago, mfc said:

Nailed it...yes, the gaffer carries the can, but I didnt hear too many dissenting voices amongst the support with regards to how our squad was shaping up in preseason...

...there are a host of players who need to get their act together 

• Like 1

In the last five seasons previous to this one....

Tony Watt 122 matches 16 goals (1 every 8 games)

Chris Long 126 matches 23 goals (1 every 5 games)

Jordan White 199 matches 49 goals (1 every 4 games, although at Scottish Championship or English National League level)

Jordan White scored 10 in a season for Livingston in the Championship five years ago and that's the only time any of them got into double figures for league goals.

I don't think anyone should be surprised we haven't got a goal out a striker, they don't have a track record. 

I also thought the circumstances around the signing of Watt and Long were odd, given the circumstances, ie, Watt having flopped at Hearts and St Johnstone in quick succession, and the whole Long summer saga as well as underwhelming performances last season and the fact that it's obvious he's not the type of player for our system.

• Like 1

The service to White has indeed been abysmal. Hastie, Hylton, Lang and Seedorf have yet to put in a flurry of decent crosses in a game for him to work off. Instead we cut it back to Lamie who floats it in from deep with no pace.

If we are gonna persevere with White we need to hit the byline and whip balls into him. 

This service to the strikers not being gd enough is imo a myth. As well as shite corners being a myth. The amount of times the ball flashed across the goal against accies was unbelievable.  Our strikers are just not gd enough unfortunately to get in gd positions or determined enough to get to ball 1st as yabezzer said they have never done it so it doesn't bother them. What magnifys the problem is our wingers are also not dangerous enough. Both Cole and scott were both dangerous in air could keep the ball if nothing else on and could also shoot. Before them main was no goalscorer but be brought at the time arriyibi.hastie and turnbull into game. I'm also bemused of some saying turnbull is not doing much as to me he had 3 attempts on target all well saved by accies keeper plus put plenty balls in dangerous areas for someone to attack but alas no one did. 

Long imo is best striker but attitude stinks and watt looks hopeless this year with white I'm sorry to say doesn't look our level.

Fingers and everything else crossed for tomorrow night. Could kickstart our season or a total new start with new manager.

Small margins this football lark.

It may just be my imagination but from memory at the start of last season we were getting some of our opening goals from the midfield, mainly from shots outside the box, which then meant the opposition having  to open up allowing our wingers to get space and crosses into the forwards.
This year - so far - this hasn’t happened so teams have been able to sit back and wait their chance - which with us playing so far up the park as we attack they will get one or two and as games go on we naturally become nervous and retreat into a more defensive team. 

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In the last five seasons previous to this one....

Tony Watt 122 matches 16 goals (1 every 8 games)

Chris Long 126 matches 23 goals (1 every 5 games)

Jordan White 199 matches 49 goals (1 every 4 games, although at Scottish Championship or English National League level)

Jordan White scored 10 in a season for Livingston in the Championship five years ago and that's the only time any of them got into double figures for league goals.

I don't think anyone should be surprised we haven't got a goal out a striker, they don't have a track record. 

I also thought the circumstances around the signing of Watt and Long were odd, given the circumstances, ie, Watt having flopped at Hearts and St Johnstone in quick succession, and the whole Long summer saga as well as underwhelming performances last season and the fact that it's obvious he's not the type of player for our system.

Agree with pretty much everything you said mate, but Watt was not a flop at St Johnstone. From what I saw and heard he was one of, if not their best player. Playing as a target man/hold up striker. He then left them to chase cash in Bulgaria. Thats why I cant understand why he isnt getting a chance! He wont get many goals, but he is the guy in our squad with the experience and pedigree to do that job, and bring the 3 behind him into the game

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

The service to White has indeed been abysmal. 

If we are gonna persevere with White we need to hit the byline and whip balls into him. 

He's had free headers from corners on the 6 yard line in each of the past two matches and missed the target both times. 

The guy is a carthorse and if we persist with him we will be relegated. Neither him or Seedorf would get a start for Accies, Livi or St Mirren. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Shaka said:

Agree with pretty much everything you said mate, but Watt was not a flop at St Johnstone. From what I saw and heard he was one of, if not their best player. Playing as a target man/hold up striker. He then left them to chase cash in Bulgaria. Thats why I cant understand why he isnt getting a chance! He wont get many goals, but he is the guy in our squad with the experience and pedigree to do that job, and bring the 3 behind him into the game

He started off well and then fell out of things going from the first eleven to the bench to nowhere.

He got 4 starts and 5 sub appearances in the second half of the season then left in the close season for CSKA.

28 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

So we’ve signed some hidden gems, we’ve signed some utter duds. That’s football, no? Genuinely interested in what club’s recruitment has been markedly better than ours on a similar budget, perhaps those lambasting Robinson/Foyle could suggest. 

I can't for the life think of a team in Scotland doing better than us at bringing in unheard of guys from England, most of which play for a while in our first team some of whom move on for a fee or free to bigger and better clubs. Celtic do it, on a bigger scale, but the teams in our bracket?? 

2 hours ago, Big Stall said:

I can't for the life think of a team in Scotland doing better than us at bringing in unheard of guys from England, most of which play for a while in our first team some of whom move on for a fee or free to bigger and better clubs. Celtic do it, on a bigger scale, but the teams in our bracket?? 

Kind of what I'm getting at. Off top of my head in recent years we've had joy with Johnson, Moult, Kipre, Gorrin, Gillespie (even Bowman to the extent that we seemingly made a profit on him). Without doing any sort of research, I can't think of a club comparable to us with anything like the same sort of success stories. 

4 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Kind of what I'm getting at. Off top of my head in recent years we've had joy with Johnson, Moult, Kipre, Gorrin, Gillespie (even Bowman to the extent that we seemingly made a profit on him). Without doing any sort of research, I can't think of a club comparable to us with anything like the same sort of success stories. 

Tam Cowan just said on BBC Scotland that since Robinson has been in we have brought in £7milliom in transfer fees.

He slso said £3mill from the cup runs which im a bit sceptical about. Regardless, those numbers are impressive and probably not what Yodo and his pals want to read.......

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Tam Cowan just said on BBC Scotland that since Robinson has been in we have brought in £7milliom in transfer fees.

He slso said £3mill from the cup runs which im a bit sceptical about. Regardless, those numbers are impressive and probably not what Yodo and his pals want to read.......

over the period he has been excellent.    Tactically he at times is lacking but we have good runs and bad runs.  If he was a better manager he wouldn't be at Motherwell.  I reckon we're his level and so far it's working well. 

26 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Dead right more interested in the quality that's getting served up on the park