Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

8 hours ago, Yodo said:

I also heard Tam Cowan say Glentoran could have been 3 up before the guy gets sent off . Let's just be happy we are through look forward to the draw on Monday after a visit tae the Tattiedome 

They could certainly have scored a few in the period between their guy getting sent off, and our second goal....... but they didnt. And we humped them 5-1!

Pretty sure we would all have taken that score before kick off

Taxi for Robinson/Lapsley for me, have we improved in the last year.....a very simple answer is a big NO, we are going to do a Hearts this season where everyone thought that Hearts would easily would climb the league last season.

i will give them that they have had some injuries mostly in training as Hearts had last season, but the players that we are left with, I am sorry they are NOT performing as a team. The games that I have watched ok they had a lot of possession but without creating any genuine goal chances. Against Celtic it looked embarrassing for Scottish football to see it was supposed to be a competitive game when one side never got into first gear beat us easily.

I hope I am proven wrong but I think we are definitely relegation material and think it’s time to look for new ideas from a new management team!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Taxi for Robinson/Lapsley for me, have we improved in the last year.....a very simple answer is a big NO, we are going to do a Hearts this season where everyone thought that Hearts would easily would climb the league last season.

i will give them that they have had some injuries mostly in training as Hearts had last season, but the players that we are left with, I am sorry they are NOT performing as a team. The games that I have watched ok they had a lot of possession but without creating any genuine goal chances. Against Celtic it looked embarrassing for Scottish football to see it was supposed to be a competitive game when one side never got into first gear beat us easily.

I hope I am proven wrong but I think we are definitely relegation material and think it’s time to look for new ideas from a new management team!

I would agree that 1 win in the last 14 or so games is terrible, but I just don’t know who you could get in that is more experienced and better than what we have. Also it’s important to remember the players respect the current manager.

personally I think we will turn it around. This season we have lost games narrowly while dominating, I think once our strikers click we will be fine.

would also be good to get Jake Carrol back as he add the much needed balance we need and since he got injured our form has dropped.

its still early days so I’m not worried too much, but another 5 - 6 games and we still haven’t got points on the table then it’s decision time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, johnstone said:

I would agree that 1 win in the last 14 or so games is terrible, but I just don’t know who you could get in that is more experienced and better than what we have. Also it’s important to remember the players respect the current manager.

personally I think we will turn it around. This season we have lost games narrowly while dominating, I think once our strikers click we will be fine.

would also be good to get Jake Carrol back as he add the much needed balance we need and since he got injured our form has dropped.

its still early days so I’m not worried too much, but another 5 - 6 games and we still haven’t got points on the table then it’s decision time.

He'll be given at least the first round of fixtures and to be fair what he's done for the club we should give him time and space to sort it 

Suspect it's more likely for him to walk than for us to fire him.     

There is absolutely no chance of Stephen Robinson being fired this side of Xmas.

He will get until the window shuts in October and after that there is no point bringing in a new manager until the next window.

However, he does need to find a winning formula very soon or the pressure will start to build and things could get quite unpleasant, especially if fans start getting back into Fir Park.

The form for all of 2020 has been shite so from a fans perspective, he's under pressure. Rightly so. 

The board will however have a different take on things. Aye, their minds will be wandering into "what if" territory, however for the last 4 years Robinson has absolutely excelled in the job he's been asked to do. The club have been open that his remit is to keep the team in the league and to sell players. I'm led to believe we budget for 10th. 

16/17 Kept us in the league when we were in freefall.

17/18 Finished 7th

18/19 Finished 8th

19/20 Finished 3rd.

7 million pounds worth of players sold + the finances from 2 cup finals and now European football. 

When you've been asked to do a job, and you proved season after season that you can do it then you'll be given plenty of time to get things right. 

• Like 4

Big fan of Robbo but I am concerned. If he persists with Grimshaw , he’s asking for trouble , guy has an engine but is a really limited player...switches off and invariably costs us. 

I think Ross co are the poorest team we have played but they’ve got the points on the board.

I don’t think Accies , County , Livingston are any better than us but they’ve got the points and that’s pressure ....still think we’ll be ok , but maybe We have that horrible combination of too easy to score against and not scoring at other end

• Like 1

The reality striking us here is that we have taken 2 points from 18 this season. We have scored 2 goals in 6 and are bereft of ideas. 
We’ve clearly still got a lot of deadwood in the squad and yes, there are injuries, but that is part and parcel of football.

The board can react in 3 ways. One (and the worst of all IMO) is to sit on our hands and wait and hope it changes. The second is to invest in Robinson to make sure we get out of this shitshow. Utilize a small proportion of our recent income for one or two experienced and quality players to come in and secure the team and provide leadership. Thirdly, is we believe money should only be given to a new man so we fix the manager situation first and then invest in the squad. We’ve gone a far way to reminding me of ICT a few years ago. Bringing in decent players from down south, having moderate success, selling them, selling their best young talent and plummeting like a stone. Time to learn a lesson and avoid disaster whilst we still can

7 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Big fan of Robbo but I am concerned. If he persists with Grimshaw , he’s asking for trouble , guy has an engine but is a really limited player...switches off and invariably costs us. 

Just out of curiosity, who should he play instead of Grimmy? We were a much better side while he was on the pitch on Sunday than when he wasn’t, and we have three first choice defenders currently injured. 

12 hours ago, CoF said:

The form for all of 2020 has been shite so from a fans perspective, he's under pressure. Rightly so. 

The board will however have a different take on things. Aye, their minds will be wandering into "what if" territory, however for the last 4 years Robinson has absolutely excelled in the job he's been asked to do. The club have been open that his remit is to keep the team in the league and to sell players. I'm led to believe we budget for 10th. 

16/17 Kept us in the league when we were in freefall.

17/18 Finished 7th

18/19 Finished 8th

19/20 Finished 3rd.

7 million pounds worth of players sold + the finances from 2 cup finals and now European football. 

When you've been asked to do a job, and you proved season after season that you can do it then you'll be given plenty of time to get things right. 

And these are the actual facts that need to be taken into account when any thought’s of letting Robinson go are taken into account. Forget the fact that a minority of fans have always wanted rid of him, he had a remit and he’s met it and some. I would question how many other manager’s that we could both tempt, and indeed afford could match that record with us on our budget. I’ve always been of the opinion that the grass is rarely greener on the other side and as such be careful what you wish for. He was wanted sacked by a few on here right back as far as 2017, Since then he’s guided is to two very comfortable seasons and we’ve made millions on players, no other club at our level can match that. He’s not perfect, no perfect manager would be managing Motherwell, they all have weaknesses, but he knows the club and is trusted at board level, on top of that he’s clearly a good man manager judging by the feedback of previous players and their recommendation to others to join us. Players have returned to us simply because of Robinson. I would agree with Kmac that the worst thing is doing nothing and I would take the option to now use some of the transfer money to sign a couple of players we might not otherwise be able to afford, I would retain Robinson as in my view he’s done enough to be given that opportunity. All managers have a sell by date but in my view that does not yet apply to Robinson.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Just out of curiosity, who should he play instead of Grimmy? We were a much better side while he was on the pitch on Sunday than when he wasn’t, and we have three first choice defenders currently injured. 

I didn’t see Sunday game but did see the highlights where he was standing dreaming for the second goal ...not for the first time this season I don’t know if there’s any young guys who could do a job at right back / left back , probably not or they would given a chance....Robbo isn’t daft , he’ll have noticed players standing dreaming when they should be going with runners , Grimshaw not alone in this . 

No easy answers but in games of fine margins , defenders need to do the basics or Robbo could be out a job, which I don’t want to see.

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I didn’t see Sunday game but did see the highlights where he was standing dreaming for the second goal ...not for the first time this season I don’t know if there’s any young guys who could do a job at right back / left back , probably not or they would given a chance....Robbo isn’t daft , he’ll have noticed players standing dreaming when they should be going with runners , Grimshaw not alone in this

No easy answers but in games of fine margins , defenders need to do the basics or Robbo could be out a job, which I don’t want to see.

Yet, the empty jersey of O’Hara is exempt from criticism?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yodo said:

That the season never finished for if it had we would have been lucky to finish fifth on the form we were in 

Disappointing to drop from 3rd, but top six would have still been an achievement in the grand scheme of things.