Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He won't be fired this week.

A heavy defeat by Aberdeen and it becomes a possibility.

With the run of games coming up, I honestly can't see him lasting into 2019, but as I've said previously I don't see much point in changing the manager right now as we need to give anyone coming in the chance to bring in new players and fixtures that we have a decent chance of getting a 'bounce' from.

Bringing in a new manager now and I don't see how things are going to change much.  Get these tough fixtures over, grin and bare it and we'll see where we are at the end of December.

That sounds absolutely mental! Surely now is the perfect time to sack him. Get an interim team in and take 3-4 weeks to get our new man.

Waiting till the end of December means any new guy wouldnt be in until late January. What do we do with the next transfer window?  Or maybe we pick up a couple lucky draws and the board decide to keep Robbo, then he gets another transfer window to make even more of a cunt of our squad? Madness

It’s been put to me that we went down to 10 v Celtic twice last year and not only didn’t collapse, but also didn’t concede!

And with virtually the same set of players! So what’s so different now?

Robinson is 100% living on borrowed time but a lot of the players need to have a good look in the mirror, and that’s even accounting for the fact that some of them just aren’t very good.

I don't think we can underestimate how much time those two cup finals have bought Robinson. I've got a wee feeling our own results aren't the most important thing - as long as there are at least two team considerably worse off than us in the league he'll be here. 

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Hopefully the board and Burrows aren't that stupid.

I certainly don’t think they are stupid. They will weigh up the risks of keeping him against the risk of appointing a new manager, there are just as many risks in changing. Look at the changes at St Mirren, Falkirk, Dundee, Partick Thistle to name four this season. For every move that works another two fail and in my view while we stay out of that bottom two they will stick and review in the summer.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I certainly don’t think they are stupid. They will weigh up the risks of keeping him against the risk of appointing a new manager, there are just as many risks in changing. Look at the changes at St Mirren, Falkirk, Dundee, Partick Thistle to name four this season. For every move that works another two fail and in my view while we stay out of that bottom two they will stick and review in the summer.

Absolutely.

Also worth remembering what most assume his remit is this season: staying in the league and clearing a bit of debt through player sales. He achieved that and more last season so  I think as long as he keeps beating the 3 teams in and around us he'll stay in a job. 

Strangely enough, I think off-field performance might be the tipping point for the board. If it looks like we're going to be going into the next few transfer windows without a player to sell for a decent amount they might consider his overall performance. 

In recent years, we’ve kept McCall, Baraclough and McGhee longer than we should have, leading to more embarrassing defeats than necessary. Same is happening with Robinson. 

I’m somewhat conflicted on the issue as I don’t think a manager should be sacked on the back of yesterday due to the pivotal nature of the questionable red card. However, the writing has been on the wall for some time, he’s barely got a tune out the players since the league cup final 12 months ago and in my eyes, his signing policy in the summer eliminated any ‘goodwill’. 

Unfortunately, Burrows and the Board are now  in a horrible predicament as any new manager is going to get a baptism of fire with the run of games in December. 

• Like 2

Burrows , the Board and indeed the well society have been very quiet this season in the media and seem to hope the Robinson problem will just go away . They are all to blame for the shambles that was our signing policy in the summer. They do however have a chance to redeem themselves by doing something about it. Sometimes it takes a bigger man to admit he was wrong .....

I just wonder how much money has been wasted this summer on wages of players who have made no difference. 

• Like 2

I hadn’t thought the board could be forced to change the manager this season until yesterday. Results like that are hard to come back from. 

Still think he’ll get beyond the January window. 

It would be interesting to consider the wages we’ve spent and how it compares to the wages St Johnstone are paying likes of Kennedy and Watt. Did get the feeling we missed out on quite a few targets in the summer  

I think whether the board decides to part ways with him would come down to how confident they are that we’ll finish 10th or above. Since we’re only a week away from beating two of the teams below us (and having a game in hand, and a surprisingly superior goal difference) I’d be surprised if the board took action right now, particularly since it costs money to sack a manager.

We have St Mirren, Accies and Livingston before January, and chances to get points against Killie at home, so I could see a scenario where a decision is made at the turn of the year based on the games we’re “supposed” to get points from.

I did see someone on twitter allude to Robinson offering his resignation at some point, which would surprise me even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, prideoflanarkshire said:

Am I the only one clicking refresh on motherwellfc.com every hour to see if there’s been an announcement?

I'd guess so as , can't be many dafties with so much spare time, if it happened and you are constantly on the 'net then you'd hear about it inside an hour

Just not convinced where we will be if we do sack Robinson. We are already under par with regard to points and performance, but our league position is just about acceptable. As previously stated, a change of management is no guarantee of a turn around in fortune on the park. We have a squad that is not devoid of talent though the lack of pace at the back, width in midfield and obvious goal threats up front are all issues. We are where we are . Personally, I’d be tempted Togo with Robby for the rest of the season, with a major debrief and rethink required in the summer. The one proviso being that we need to pick up enough points to be above the drop zone at the winter break. This is based on the sentiment that the manager has earned some time through decent results last season and the consideration that any change may not be for the better. The one thing you can be sure of is that it isn’t going to be pretty.

10 hours ago, gee said:

I hadn’t thought the board could be forced to change the manager this season until yesterday. Results like that are hard to come back from. 

This season we've seen Rangers put five past St Johnstone, and four past Accies as well. St Johnstone then went on to ship six against Celtic a few weeks later.

It happens. Personally, I'd have been more concerned had we lost either game against St Mirren or Dundee by a solitary goal than a drubbing by Rangers or Celtic.

3 hours ago, The African said:

Just not convinced where we will be if we do sack Robinson. We are already under par with regard to points and performance, but our league position is just about acceptable. As previously stated, a change of management is no guarantee of a turn around in fortune on the park. We have a squad that is not devoid of talent though the lack of pace at the back, width in midfield and obvious goal threats up front are all issues. We are where we are . Personally, I’d be tempted Togo with Robby for the rest of the season, with a major debrief and rethink required in the summer. The one proviso being that we need to pick up enough points to be above the drop zone at the winter break. This is based on the sentiment that the manager has earned some time through decent results last season and the consideration that any change may not be for the better. The one thing you can be sure of is that it isn’t going to be pretty.

There we go again getting sentimental about last season .So we win 8 league games at Fir Park last season and we have won one this season ,we got to two cup finals and lost both .We are playing some of the worst football witnessed at Fir Park and some of the players we have should never have been signed to play in claret and Amber . Robinson is not just being judged on Sundays performance 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

There we go again getting sentimental about last season .So we win 8 league games at Fir Park last season and we have won one this season ,we got to two cup finals and lost both .We are playing some of the worst football witnessed at Fir Park and some of the players we have should never have been signed to play in claret and Amber . Robinson is not just being judged on Sundays performance 

The board will judge him on his performance since being appointed. His first full season was two cup finals, a finish of 7th in the league, and a ton of money made on the cup runs and transfer fees with Kipre being a player he signed. For all your talk of losing finals, 8 league wins at home and the likes those are the actual facts. Last season went well in most people’s  view and that was shown  by a large increase in season ticket sales. This season is not going well without a doubt but none of us know what targets the board set him, if it’s avoiding relegation I believe he will achieve that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

Burrows , the Board and indeed the well society have been very quiet this season in the media and seem to hope the Robinson problem will just go away . They are all to blame for the shambles that was our signing policy in the summer. They do however have a chance to redeem themselves by doing something about it. Sometimes it takes a bigger man to admit he was wrong .....

I just wonder how much money has been wasted this summer on wages of players who have made no difference. 

We signed about 7? 8? players in the summer? We could’ve quite easily not signed a single one in the and it would’ve made literally no difference to our season so far!

With the exception of Aldred who was hardly an unknown quantity, not a single one has made any meaningful impact and most have barely featured at all!

We must be pissing away literally thousands of ££££’s a week for no reason and whether it’s “in the budget” is neither here nor there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/13/2018 at 8:29 AM, David said:

This season we've seen Rangers put five past St Johnstone, and four past Accies as well. St Johnstone then went on to ship six against Celtic a few weeks later.

It happens. Personally, I'd have been more concerned had we lost either game against St Mirren or Dundee by a solitary goal than a drubbing by Rangers or Celtic.

You are right that he shouldn't be fired over one result.

But a 25% win ratio over a calendar year means that any manager at any club would be under threat and at most clubs would probably been fired already.

Robinson's league record is atrocious and that's not even taking into consideration the entertainment value, style of football and poor quality players he'd leave behind.

Out of 62 league matches, Robinson has 20 wins, not great in itself, but 10 of those wins came in this first 22 matches.  Since then we have 10 wins in 40 matches and that is very poor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1