Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

Agree with much of what you say, but this season we have been physically a bit more lightweight and battered by a few teams eg Livingston.  For all his propensity to play the long ball he's never really had or bought in the players to execute that successfully. You do need wide players to provide the ammunition and maybe we're starting to bring them in but you also need big physical players to get on the end of crosses and do damage in the opposition box.  We've never really had that with the possible exception of Bowman and thats arguable.  This season and certainly yesterday we haven't been consistently strong enough to earn the right to play.   Yesterday its almost as if he said to the fans well you wanted an entire team of ball players you've got it.  No halfway house its one way or the other. 

Yeah, I'd agree with that, he can't see past playing a certain way even when everyone else can see it's not going to work. 

It seems he's been half in half mode this season (I.e. stick to last season's method or change it to something more creative) but doesn't know how to really element the latter.

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

We played more football in Brown's first month than we have in almost two years of this clown.

He took over a shambles and got us into Europe. He's also the only Motherwell manager to win a tie against a full time team in Europe.

It was a baffling post from Busta Nut.

Apart from the reading comprehension issues, Craig Brown had one of the best win records of any Motherwell manager ever after picking up the team after one of our worst ever managers.

Also played a huge part in setting up the team for the  Stuart McCall era success.

But yeah, whatever.

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

We played more football in Brown's first month than we have in almost two years of this clown.

He took over a shambles and got us into Europe. He's also the only Motherwell manager to win a tie against a full time team in Europe.

44 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It was a baffling post from Busta Nut.

Apart from the reading comprehension issues, Craig Brown had one of the best win records of any Motherwell manager ever after picking up the team after one of our worst ever managers.

Also played a huge part in setting up the team for the  Stuart McCall era success.

But yeah, whatever.

I know what Brown did.

It was a fucking decade ago. We need someone to organise and prepare things? Yes, absolutely.

I don't think we have to go for an old Scottish fitba favourite type.

So we are a fan owned club and some of us even own shares so for me we employ Burrows and should be asking for an EGM for members of the Society and Shareholders then simply we have a vote of no confidence in Robinson and if the vote is for his removal then Burrows sacks him .If we are waiting for the board to sack him we might be waiting for a wee while regarding who we get for the next manager the club will receive plenty of applications of which I'm sure a few will stand out .

8 minutes ago, Yodo said:

So we are a fan owned club and some of us even own shares so for me we employ Burrows and should be asking for an EGM for members of the Society and Shareholders then simply we have a vote of no confidence in Robinson and if the vote is for his removal then Burrows sacks him .If we are waiting for the board to sack him we might be waiting for a wee while regarding who we get for the next manager the club will receive plenty of applications of which I'm sure a few will stand out .

In theory aye but in reality nae chance .

I honestly think our club along with many other provincial clubs are on the way out, dwindling crowds ,  product dire, influenced to a great extent by old boy networks. It’s a recipe for disaster.  

15 minutes ago, Yodo said:

as asked before , when is his actual contract up ? do we pay to get rid of,,, or wait till his time is up 

people higher up than us will decide, but I would take a guess that they know the fans are not happy 

Just now, smiddy said:

as asked before , when is his actual contract up ? do we pay to get rid of,,, or wait till his time is up 

people higher up than us will decide, but I would take a guess that they know the fans are not happy 

As I have said before do you honestly think Hutchison & Boyle are going to watch their investment flounder I think both of them would gladly give Robinson his pay off because it looks like that's what he is hanging on for and who can blame him he has a contract after all . We need somebody to take charge get Robinson and it pains me to say Las as well out ,get somebody in who can use the rest of the season to build for next season and take the club forward 

16 hours ago, smiddy said:

as I said that's the normal shit names that go about, but as we don't know who will apply as I said  " do we stick or twist " what would you do ?? 

I’d have had him out before Christmas. It’s then down to those in charge to make the right choice for his replacement.

The shit names always get banded about when clubs like ours are needing a manager,its usually down to the old pals act in the media,to try and get guys like yogi hughes a job and keep them in the game and you can be sure when the time comes,the likes of him and hartley will be talked about for our job,thankfully taking shit managers from up here is a road we don't tend to go down and I'm sure no matter how bad things get we will resist yet again and go for someone a bit left field.

37 minutes ago, Yodo said:

As I have said before do you honestly think Hutchison & Boyle are going to watch their investment flounder I think both of them would gladly give Robinson his pay off because it looks like that's what he is hanging on for and who can blame him he has a contract after all . We need somebody to take charge get Robinson and it pains me to say Las as well out ,get somebody in who can use the rest of the season to build for next season and take the club forward 

What investment ? We owe them money and they are expecting it back and have had a fair wedge back this past 2 years. 

The club is now fan owned. As a result neither Hutchison or Boyle would have any intention of fronting up payment to pay up Robinson’s contract.  This is all on us now. 

I saw comment earlier about Robinson’s offering his resignation. Not sure whether true. I heard discussions did take place around results and style of play, but he has a contract for another year + iirc.  He would not walk away without being paid his contract balance and that is understandable. If he got another job then that would be different. 

As I said he will get the next few games to see whether we can maintain the gap or even widen it as fanciful as that appears after yesterday.  Of our next 8 games all but Celtic away appear winnable on paper. This next 6-7 weeks will dictate what happens next. 

3 hours ago, prideoflanarkshire said:

I’ve heard from good resources that he offered his resignation in November and the club rejected it. 

I have no reason to not believe him and he would be in the right position to know. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if true but presumably Robinson was looking for a payoff. Otherwise, why would the club reject it? We’ve made that mistake before with McCall. 

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Robbo did offer to resign at one point.

Well in that case, We need to make space in the taxi for whoever rejected it! Just yet more evidence the people running our club have no actual idea about football. Yeah our media is nice and fluffy and the players love going for a coffee and a chat with whoever does the intervews, but its just a pity we have not 1 single fucking player over the age of 21 able to control or pass a fucking football.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agree with much of what you say, but this season we have been physically a bit more lightweight and battered by a few teams eg Livingston.  For all his propensity to play the long ball he's never really had or bought in the players to execute that successfully. You do need wide players to provide the ammunition and maybe we're starting to bring them in but you also need big physical players to get on the end of crosses and do damage in the opposition box.  We've never really had that with the possible exception of Bowman and thats arguable.  This season and certainly yesterday we haven't been consistently strong enough to earn the right to play.   Yesterday its almost as if he said to the fans well you wanted an entire team of ball players you've got it.  No halfway house its one way or the other. 

In the post match interview he stated we don’t have the players to play total football. That’s more or less an admission we don’t have players technically proficient enough to pass the ball. What we have is most definitely a halfway house where he has suddenly decided he is taking so much stick for the style of play he feels under pressure to change it. We actually do have some players capable of passing the ball but we have others in the first 11 who just lump it forward regardless so clearly the message did not reach them. He’s clearly stating in that post match interview that he wants to change things and it’s going to take time. He got it badly wrong yesterday and that was obvious after no more than 5 minutes, wrong choice for central midfield, Turnbull certainly out of position, no central striker able to hold the ball up, and stupid punts upfield from Hartley, Aldred, and a totally hopeless Dunne. He needs to make his mind up what he wants moving forward and build towards that. But he can’t do what he did again and play a formation with the wrong players in key positions while still persisting with the same style of football totally at odds with that particular formation.

I think it is clear that our plan is to tread water while we pay off the debt, and the board may be happy with scraping by in 9th or 10th place in the meantime. The thought might be that we’re essentially developing a manger, in that by the time we have a little more money to spend Robbo will have a few years experience and a squad that he’s built.

It may also be that the board don’t think that the job is an attractive one because of this remit and the small budget, so it’s not worth the cost of paying off Robinson and hiring a new manager from a limited pool.

His interview yesterday sounded like he was telling the fans that he’s meeting (exceeding?)  the boards requirements. Which is fair enough, if they have given him targets and a strict remit, and he’s meeting it, then he has every right to feel that he should keep his job.

However, I’d argue that while it is well known that the manager can put on a great training session, he’s done nothing to suggest he has the tactical knowledge to make a team of limited talent passable.  He openly questions his own decisions in interviews, throws his players under the bus, and he cares too much about the criticism he gets.  His interview yesterday certainly had a “beginning of the end” feel to it. 

Too many people at our club talk it down as well. The facts are we are one of the biggest clubs in the country, due to our history, support, and the fact that we’ve been in the top division for a very fucking long time. We’re talking about punching above our weight while Killie, St. Johnstone, and Livingston are sitting above us, and we have a manager saying that he’s the messiah for getting us to a couple of cup finals when we’re not that far removed from successive 2nd place finishes and European qualifications. I know seasons like that will come and go, but our supporters are perfectly entitled to want something better.

I don’t know if there is an option out there that will get us more points between now and the end of the season than the current setup though. For a manager to be available to us now they would have to be either unemployed, untried, or employed but affordable. We would also have to bring them in a lot quicker than our last few attempts.

I’m genuinely interested in folks ideas of who that person could be, because all I can see is the likes of Hughes, Hartley, et al. Thank fuck Presley took the Carlisle job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Burrows is probably convinced he's a good manager.

I doubt very much that  Burrows is seeing games any different to anyone else, he knows yesterday was rank as was the St Mirren and to a lesser extent the Killy home game. However he may well be asking the question can he keep us up this season and in truth I still believe he will. We keep asking this but is avoiding relegation the remit and if so he’s still on track with a decent cushion. Have crowds and season ticket sales dropped due to the type of football ?  not sure they have.  Thing is with Robinson he always pulls it around with wins when they are really needed, I would certainly expect him to keep doing that even accepting the football is usually awful.

2 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I think it is clear that our plan is to tread water while we pay off the debt, and the board may be happy with scraping by in 9th or 10th place in the meantime. The thought might be that we’re essentially developing a manger, in that by the time we have a little more money to spend Robbo will have a few years experience and a squad that he’s built.

It may also be that the board don’t think that the job is an attractive one because of this remit and the small budget, so it’s not worth the cost of paying off Robinson and hiring a new manager from a limited pool.

His interview yesterday sounded like he was telling the fans that he’s meeting (exceeding?)  the boards requirements. Which is fair enough, if they have given him targets and a strict remit, and he’s meeting it, then he has every right to feel that he should keep his job.

However, I’d argue that while it is well known that the manager can put on a great training session, he’s done nothing to suggest he has the tactical knowledge to make a team of limited talent passable.  He openly questions his own decisions in interviews, throws his players under the bus, and he cares too much about the criticism he gets.  His interview yesterday certainly had a “beginning of the end” feel to it. 

Too many people at our club talk it down as well. The facts are we are one of the biggest clubs in the country, due to our history, support, and the fact that we’ve been in the top division for a very fucking long time. We’re talking about punching above our weight while Killie, St. Johnstone, and Livingston are sitting above us, and we have a manager saying that he’s the messiah for getting us to a couple of cup finals when we’re not that far removed from successive 2nd place finishes and European qualifications. I know seasons like that will come and go, but our supporters are perfectly entitled to want something better.

I don’t know if there is an option out there that will get us more points between now and the end of the season than the current setup though. For a manager to be available to us now they would have to be either unemployed, untried, or employed but affordable. We would also have to bring them in a lot quicker than our last few attempts.

I’m genuinely interested in folks ideas of who that person could be, because all I can see is the likes of Hughes, Hartley, et al. Thank fuck Presley took the Carlisle job.

There is no obvious stand out candidate in Scotland in my view.

That’s my worry. To hire someone who has no knowledge of the Scottish game would be very risky, and hasn’t worked for us, or most other Scottish clubs in the past. I’m trying to think of who the most successful (non OF) manager has been who fits that bill.  Steve Clarke?  

13 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

That’s my worry. To hire someone who has no knowledge of the Scottish game would be very risky, and hasn’t worked for us, or most other Scottish clubs in the past. I’m trying to think of who the most successful (non OF) manager has been who fits that bill.  Steve Clarke?  

I would  have though if we had been looking a few months ago Robbie Neilson would have been in the frame. I’m also pretty sure that someone on here would rubbish just about every Scottish manager mentioned.