Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

9 hours ago, star sail said:

I have been a member on these boards since 2009. Over time you get to know the posters. They remain anonymous but their forum names become well known to the people who read the forum regularly. I have absolutely no problem with differences of opinion. It is the differences of opinion that make these boards successful. 

The post above resonates with me for two reasons, one because Kmcaplin (whoever you are) is a great example for me of a familiar name on these boards, who's opinion I sometimes disagree with but always respect because the opinions are always reasonable, fair and rational. He (I am assuming he because of my narrow minded, last century view of the footballing world) never that I can recall, attacks players or managers personally and seems to have a sensible view of Motherwell's natural position in the footballing food chain.

A poster above said 'Criticism is part and parcel of a football managers job'. Sadly, this is true, but sometimes that is an excuse to allow faceless people on football forums to hurl all sorts of abuse at managers, when quite possibly these same people are not reaching the elite heights of excellence and performance in their own lives. We put an expectation on football managers at times that goes beyond what is reasonable.

Secondly this post resonates with me because by admitting that possible she (in the interests of balance and with the pretense of having an enlightened view of the modern world) got it wrong, Kmcalpin displays the same attributes that Stevie Robinson has shown in turning our season round. The ability to see that mistakes were made and change it is a sign of a very good manager. My feeling is that in Stevie Robinson we may actually have won a watch. Time will tell.

This is a very long winded way of saying that the post above is a great post!!!

She’s called Dave

• Haha 5

On 2/8/2019 at 10:33 AM, steelboy said:

A few wins over absolute bottom six dross doesn't change that especially as it has been mainly down to academy products. We will see how we do against the better sides.

I don't get this line of thinking. You won't judge the manager or the team when playing against other sides of similar standing, only when they play against better sides? 

And the last time I checked, those academy products are part of the team that Robinson picked? You're talking as though those youngsters being a big part of our success is somehow a bad thing?

5 minutes ago, David said:

I don't get this line of thinking. You won't judge the manager or the team when playing against other sides of similar standing, only when they play against better sides? 

And the last time I checked, those academy products are part of the team that Robinson picked? You're talking as though those youngsters being a big part of our success is somehow a bad thing?

I don't get it either, how can we brand the teams in the bottom 6 dross when at this moment that is our level, if anything these are the exact games the manager should be judged on  at this moment in time as these are the deemed must wins against the teams in and around us. That is just where we are just now.

Also i have to agree the academy players are a part of the team just like the older more senior players, doesn't matter who wins us the games as long as someone is :lol:.  If people can't be happy after 5 league wins on the bounce then what chance ye got.

• Like 1

Going into that 5 game run was reminiscent of the 14/15 season for me. We were playing a style of football that all other teams had sussed and there looked to be a morale issue. There were differences of course, we had a new manager and lots of new January arrivals.

What we did have though was a critical run of games in February that gave a glimmer of hope that if we managed to get a couple of wins could see us nudge over the line to safety.

As every week passed, that hope slipped further and further away.

This year, the management and squad have made the most of that run and we are safe for another term. For that, they deserve nothing but applause.

As much as I thoroughly enjoyed cuffing the h*n, going into those playoffs is not an experience I want repeating any time EVER.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/27/2018 at 11:10 PM, ropy said:

I hope he stays for 10 years and builds 3 teams in that time and at the end brings a trophy home.

Is third place a trophy?  I suspect he will build more than 3 teams in his time with the annual turnover.

Robbo is a very hard working meticulous coach who appears to be well respected in the game. As fans we will judge him on his results and signings. Few can have much complaint about the results given his budget restraints. The signings have been a bit of a hit or a miss and there have been occasions where we have been crying out for a particular position to be filled and for whatever reason it hasnt happened. Most will cut him some slack over this as it has always been thus. The more critical among us will not. For me over the piece I would give him 7/10.

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Robbo is a very hard working meticulous coach who appears to be well respected in the game. As fans we will judge him on his results and signings. Few can have much complaint about the results given his budget restraints. The signings have been a bit of a hit or a miss and there have been occasions where we have been crying out for a particular position to be filled and for whatever reason it hasnt happened. Most will cut him some slack over this as it has always been thus. The more critical among us will not. For me over the piece I would give him 7/10.

An easy 8/10 for me. We are likely to lose him to a bigger club at some stage in my view.

• Like 2

I’m going for a 9/10 for Robbo. 

He came in at a difficult time and stabilised us when relegation looked likely.

Two cup finals  and if I remember right a top six . Then eighth place followed by this seasons third . 

All done by getting in players who lost there way and mixing it with players from youth . 

All done on a shoestring budget unlike McGhee or McCall had under Leanne Dempsters reign . 

Has he made mistakes . Of course but he admits it and rectified it by changing it . 

Probably not got the same charisma as McGhee or McCall but who cares about that .  Really hope he stays for the Europa competition . Think if he gets a chance he could do ok as apparently highly rated technically .

For any body out there who doesn’t rate him  fair enough . Everyone is entitled to there opinion but all I would say is be careful what you wish for . 

Been going to FP for over 50 years now since Boddy Howitt was manager and have seen them all come and go . Many of them high profile and legends in there own heads .

Robbo brings stability structure and technical knowledge as well as honesty so he’ll do for me . 

Would love him to be manager for foreseeable future . 

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

I’m going for a 9/10 for Robbo. 

He came in at a difficult time and stabilised us when relegation looked likely.

Two cup finals  and if I remember right a top six . Then eighth place followed by this seasons third . 

All done by getting in players who lost there way and mixing it with players from youth . 

All done on a shoestring budget unlike McGhee or McCall had under Leanne Dempsters reign . 

Has he made mistakes . Of course but he admits it and rectified it by changing it . 

Probably not got the same charisma as McGhee or McCall but who cares about that .  Really hope he stays for the Europa competition . Think if he gets a chance he could do ok as apparently highly rated technically .

For any body out there who doesn’t rate him  fair enough . Everyone is entitled to there opinion but all I would say is be careful what you wish for . 

Been going to FP for over 50 years now since Boddy Howitt was manager and have seen them all come and go . Many of them high profile and legends in there own heads .

Robbo brings stability structure and technical knowledge as well as honesty so he’ll do for me . 

Would love him to be manager for foreseeable future . 

Given the budget where would he rate against other Motherwell managers in your time ?

He's done a good job, its really hard to argue anything else. 

Has he brought in some dross, sure. What Motherwell manager hasn't?

He's also brought in some very decent players and brought through some excellent players. To get us the results he has on and off the park with transfer fees etc. Its hard to see anyone else doing better.

Hard to say without knowing the budgets of previous managers but since the setanta tv collapse right up there . 

Tommy McLean built up a good squad but took him longer than it’s taken  Robbo  to do it . Willie McLean also did well  without much to show for it . They weren’t without there critics either . 

Robbo has progressed as a manager every year he’s been at FP and I believe there’s more to come from him . That’s why I’d be delighted to see him stay . He’s a good fit for the club and passes all the criteria needed to manage a club of our size/structure . 

Trust me we’ve seem some rockets come and go but just feel we’ve got a rough diamond  who can really push us on with the help of the board 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Hard to say without knowing the budgets of previous managers but since the setanta tv collapse right up there . 

Tommy McLean built up a good squad but took him longer than it’s taken  Robbo  to do it . Willie McLean also did well  without much to show for it . They weren’t without there critics either . 

Robbo has progressed as a manager every year he’s been at FP and I believe there’s more to come from him . That’s why I’d be delighted to see him stay . He’s a good fit for the club and passes all the criteria needed to manage a club of our size/structure . 

Trust me we’ve seem some rockets come and go but just feel we’ve got a rough diamond  who can really push us on with the help of the board 

Many thanks.

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Assuming 10 is a cup, what would he need to do to hit 8 or 9?

Pretty much got us the the best position we can reach, considering the gulf between the old firm and us.  Came he get better? Yes, but not easily. I think he has struggled to get consistency but that’s probably more down to the level of players we have rather than him.  Some tactical errors here and there but I think he does learn from them. I’d like to see him stay here for a while. Would be so good to have some continuity at the club for a change. 

21 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I fucking love him.

Me too. 

Listened to the Declan G podcast on what the falk podcast today. Good listen. 

When asked he said he felt that Robbo was the best Manager in the top flight. Of course he would say that wouldn’t he.

But he talks about his meticulous prep and he also mentions how he persuaded him to come to Motherwell rather than St Johnstone by stating clearly he would make him a better player. Sounds simple but big Deccy obvs thought he was quite good as it was so he felt it was refreshing and encouraging to hear him say that. 

So that alone means he has used his skills to persuade a sought after player to join us and go onto to be a full international and may yet yield us a decent transfer fee. 

I would give him a 9 out of 10 and hope he does not jump ship to NI this summer or anyone else for that matter. Inevitable other clubs will come in for him. He would be a bigger loss than any player bar Davy T. 

3 hours ago, CoF said:

Assuming 10 is a cup, what would he need to do to hit 8 or 9?

Im not a critic. I think Robbo is a great fit for us.

10 is perfection. Which on our budget aint gonna happen.

To improve on 7/10 Id be looking for consistent top 6 finishes. Less signings that turn out to contribute nothing and fewer baffling substitutions and tactical decisions that dont change a game in our favour. That would get him to 8/10 for me.

Winning a cup in addition to the foregoing 9/10.

Wee Tommy did that and wasnt perfect.

I note though, there is a noticeable absence of Robbo critics today.....

Im not, and never will be his biggest fan. Even in the season we made 2 Cup Finals he should have been sacked as we were fucking horrific for long periods, that was masked by a couple of big wins in Cup Fixtures. Last season was the same, he lucked out big time chucking in Turnbull and especially Hastie out of pure desperation. But never offered Hastie a contract until it was too late when even Stevie Wonder could see he was worth an extension. And this season has gone along the same track, some decent play punctuated by garbage and the odd cracking signing like Declan supplemented by too much utter horseshit like Bevis, Manzinga and that Invisible dude from Bournemouth. 

Il give him his due, he does deserve credit for finishing 3rd this season.

Overall, Id probably give him a 7/10, just. Over his whole tenure his performance as Manager is definately above average as he has had some very good achievements and results, and he has also presided over some excellent player developments and sales. But there has been too much utter garbage both on the pitch for long periods, and signed by him. 

• Confused 1

I would give him a 9 and legend status for safely overseeing our precarious 'on the park' transition to fan ownership. We have had the right man at the right time for sure.

Caveat for me is that we have never been all that great under SR. The present team would be comfortably beaten by the second/third placing teams of recent history. In fact I suspect the present team may struggle against the Kipre / Moult 'long ball' team, though many would disagree.

In any case, we could have collapsed in recent years, and instead we have consolidated and outperformed city sides yet again. Massive massive thanks and credit to Robinson and to Alan Burrows too imo.

• Like 1