Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

I’ve read a lot of hysterical stuff on here recently: interesting to compare some parallels -

Motherwell have just lost 2 in a row , so have Celtic; Motherwell’s strikers didn’t find the net enough to the fans liking, Griffiths couldn’t buy a goal; many are questioning the players Robinson has signed as quantity over quality , Commons says Rogers’ signings are less than impressive; both teams got to both cup finals last year but Motherwell’s season was a big improvement while Celtic were poorer yet two games in  we’re making statements about Robinson being sacked before the turn of the year while St Brendan is meeting his players to reassure them he’s going nowhere!! Some Motherwell fans need to take a reality check.

29 minutes ago, Hope Springs said:

I’ve read a lot of hysterical stuff on here recently: interesting to compare some parallels -

Motherwell have just lost 2 in a row , so have Celtic; Motherwell’s strikers didn’t find the net enough to the fans liking, Griffiths couldn’t buy a goal; many are questioning the players Robinson has signed as quantity over quality , Commons says Rogers’ signings are less than impressive; both teams got to both cup finals last year but Motherwell’s season was a big improvement while Celtic were poorer yet two games in  we’re making statements about Robinson being sacked before the turn of the year while St Brendan is meeting his players to reassure them he’s going nowhere!! Some Motherwell fans need to take a reality check.

Couldn't agree more. We've managed to pay off a large slice of debt while reaching 2 Cup finals and just missing out top 6. Some of us are behaving like Mould Firm supporters by pressing the panic button after 2 defeats. Robinson is working with one of the lowest budgets in the league so cut him some slack. He will get it right. 

26 minutes ago, Hope Springs said:

Celtic will throw money at their problems we can't , we need our recruitment to be near enough spot on which it hasn't been,comparing us to Celtic is laughable the only thing you can compare is the fans forums.Go on to KDS and you will see the same concerns that we have on here ie players signed not good enough not playing well and now some are questioning St Brendan .i will stick to what I said in an earlier post if we lose to Livingston and Rangers and with his record then Robinson should be sacked 

Personally  I am happy enough with SR and has transformed our team from the 2016-2017 season, once we get Dunne/Bowman/Tanner back I am sure we will start winning more than losing.

BUT (there is always a but)I have to question his signings close season, apart from Tom Alfred returning I am not convinced about his other signings and I certainly don't think we have strengthen the team in my opinion, hopefully I will be proved wrong. He has certainly woken up to the idea that Bigi  can contribute to the team. I also don't think our captain is the same player as was before getting injured which is not helping his cause. This is another concern for Tanner with being out for 6 months injured, it will take him a lot of game time to getting him back to the form prior to being injured.

1 hour ago, Hope Springs said:

Celtic's goal is to reach the Champions League group stages.  They failed because they didn't take heed of the fact that they had been in obvious decline over most of last season and allowed the 'double treble' to skew their analysis of the teams actual performances.

If we do the same, and allow the reaching of two finals to skew our analysis of our teams actual performance, our goal, to stay in the Scottish Premiership, will also fail.

As has been noted so many times before, we have been pretty wretched since November 2017.  That's a long run of rotten form so when and how is it permissible to criticise the manager?

Surely 30 matches, 6 wins and 23 goals scored speaks for itself, never mind the actual standard of play that we watch every week. 

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

we need our recruitment to be near enough spot on which it hasn't been,

I have some unpleasant news for you .......its never ever going to be spot on.  Never.  No manager ever gets its spot on.  All you can hope for is that a manager gets most of them right. 

Its far too early to judge our new signings.  Some have hardly played and others are nowhere near match fit.  Give them a chance, please. 

I'm far from being an optimist or happy clappy fan, but I'm genuinely surprised by the negativity at the moment.  As always our first priority is to avoid relegation and off the field its to repay our debts to Les and John Boyle, which we're doing.  Once we've achieved that then we can move on and really improve the squad.  So, for me the issue of whether we play so called "hoofball" or not is largely, but not entirely irrelevant. Yes, I'd prefer us to play better football.  Still, I understand that folk go to our games for different reasons.  Each to their own.      

10 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Celtic's goal is to reach the Champions League group stages.  They failed because they didn't take heed of the fact that they had been in obvious decline over most of last season and allowed the 'double treble' to skew their analysis of the teams actual performances.

If we do the same, and allow the reaching of two finals to skew our analysis of our teams actual performance, our goal, to stay in the Scottish Premiership, will also fail.

As has been noted so many times before, we have been pretty wretched since November 2017.  That's a long run of rotten form so when and how is it permissible to criticise the manager?

Surely 30 matches, 6 wins and 23 goals scored speaks for itself, never mind the actual standard of play that we watch every week. 

Nah, not having that. Selective approach to analysis as ever.

The cup runs have to be taken into account for performance review in conjunction with league. 

You are skewing your analysis to focus on the league in the same way you are criticising others for skewing it in the direction of the cup. 

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Personally  I am happy enough with SR and has transformed our team from the 2016-2017 season, once we get Dunne/Bowman/Tanner back I am sure we will start winning more than losing.

BUT (there is always a but)I have to question his signings close season, apart from Tom Alfred returning I am not convinced about his other signings and I certainly don't think we have strengthen the team in my opinion, hopefully I will be proved wrong. He has certainly woken up to the idea that Bigi  can contribute to the team. I also don't think our captain is the same player as was before getting injured which is not helping his cause. This is another concern for Tanner with being out for 6 months injured, it will take him a lot of game time to getting him back to the form prior to being injured.

That’s the thing, we haven’t strengthened the first 11, and incredibly that was never even the intention despite certain areas crying out for attention, we’ve strengthened the bench, possibly, we don’t even know that yet!

Our starting 11 is probably weaker than last season. I can’t ever remember a Motherwell manager making this many signings and not one of them was for the starting 11!

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I have some unpleasant news for you .......its never ever going to be spot on.  Never.  No manager ever gets its spot on.  All you can hope for is that a manager gets most of them right. 

Its far too early to judge our new signings.  Some have hardly played and others are nowhere near match fit.  Give them a chance, please. 

I'm far from being an optimist or happy clappy fan, but I'm genuinely surprised by the negativity at the moment.  As always our first priority is to avoid relegation and off the field its to repay our debts to Les and John Boyle, which we're doing.  Once we've achieved that then we can move on and really improve the squad.  So, for me the issue of whether we play so called "hoofball" or not is largely, but not entirely irrelevant. Yes, I'd prefer us to play better football.  Still, I understand that folk go to our games for different reasons.  Each to their own.      

Read the post it  says "near enough " I don't expect us to get it right every time but with cash being tight we need better signings than we have made 

2 hours ago, milo said:

That’s the thing, we haven’t strengthened the first 11, and incredibly that was never even the intention despite certain areas crying out for attention, we’ve strengthened the bench, possibly, we don’t even know that yet!

Our starting 11 is probably weaker than last season. I can’t ever remember a Motherwell manager making this many signings and not one of them was for the starting 11!

Way too soon to say that. 2 league games into the season and you have written them all off already? Hasty and short-sighted to say the least.

As I have pointed out more than once on here, this time last season, a number of posters were moaning about how shite they thought Dunne was. Same point this season, they are moaning how much we miss Dunne while deciding none of our other new signings are good enough. 

We'll find out how good the new signings are a few months from now, not on a plastic pitch at Livi today. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Way too soon to say that. 2 league games into the season and you have written them all off already? Hasty and short-sighted to say the least.

As I have pointed out more than once on here, this time last season, a number of posters were moaning about how shite they thought Dunne was. Same point this season, they are moaning how much we miss Dunne while deciding none of our other new signings are good enough. 

We'll find out how good the new signings are a few months from now, not on a plastic pitch at Livi today. 

Forget about last season done and dusted we need to see improvement on the games we have watched this season .Dunne out for a while Tanner will need time to match fit Hartley needs to get up to speed so we either pitch in our new signings or bring in our young talent I know which way I favour 

9 hours ago, Hope Springs said:

Spot on. And when you look closely at the posters who are Robinson's biggest critics you realise that they have very odd ideas. The teams suggested for the Livi cup tie by our so called experts were enlightening.

One had Maguire at left back with Turnbull in left mid field. Good luck with that

Another two had back three selections that excluded McHugh who most would agree has been our best centre half this season and instead one had this new untried guy from Millwall in.

There are some very good sensible posters on here whose opinions I respect but there are some roasters.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, sinjy said:

Spot on. And when you look closely at the posters who are Robinson's biggest critics you realise that they have very odd ideas. The teams suggested for the Livi cup tie by our so called experts were enlightening.

One had Maguire at left back with Turnbull in left mid field. Good luck with that

Another two had back three selections that excluded McHugh who most would agree has been our best centre half this season and instead one had this new untried guy from Millwall in.

There are some very good sensible posters on here whose opinions I respect but there are some roasters.

You don't get it do you this forum is all about opinions good or bad 

1 hour ago, sinjy said:

Amen.

22 hours ago, weeyin said:

Extra time first in the Betfred. (Unlike the Carabao one down south).

And you can keep your "PKs" in Texas:P

I assume you mean a 'deathstrike showdown'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gadgey said:

Here Yodo, seeing as you dingied me last week, I’ll ask again.

You’re consistent in your rallying cry to have Robinson sacked. Who do you want to replace him with?

Has a club ever sacked a manager then failed to get in a replacement? We go through this every time it's not down to fans to choose a new manager. When Robinson leaves the club will do what they always do and run an application process and there will be lots of applicants as always.

Then just to make sure we're getting an upgrade we show them a video of Petravicius and ask whether they would include him in a cup final squad.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gadgey said:

Here Yodo, seeing as you dingied me last week, I’ll ask again.

You’re consistent in your rallying cry to have Robinson sacked. Who do you want to replace him with?

Kenny Miller if means Sammon doesn't play ,sorry never seen yer post 

Kenny Miller's lack of professionalism means he has been dropped by his last 3 managers at Rangers for disciplinary reasons, kicked out the club for behaving like a wean, and fallen out with his most recent employers (under the guise of the playing vs managing conflict, but anyone with half a brain will know that arrangement would have been agreed long before the contract was signed).

And all the time while his wife tweets about how unfair it is that her man should have to behave like an adult.

No thanks.