Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

My main frustration with our recruitment is probably more the fault of the club than the manager, and that’s our refusal to recruit Scottish players and our fascination with the English lower leagues.

There are multiple examples of us trying to sign a player in one window and then actually signing him in a different window under a different manager.

From that you have to conclude that our managers aren't working off their own short lists.....at least all of the time.

I think it's something to consider and to look at.

With the complete lack of quality in the current squad our recruitment has to be something that's looked into.

For what it's worth, I think the recruitment strategy of signing  League 2 / non league English  players has served us well.  

Also, I believe that the squad of players we have  is good. The issue that we have is that the football players are having their creativity ripped out of them.  Case in point is Bigi; it's widely accepted he can't defend, so play him just off the striker in  a 4-2-3-1 or don't play him at all.  Also see Tait playing at left wing back when he is suited to right back in a back four.   Same with Cadden being out of position, and I could go on and on about other players and I'm sure you get the point.  We continually shoe horn players into a position that either doesn't suit them  or play a system that players clearly don't like.  I certainly can't understand why we play 5 midfielders and then launch the ball 30' over their heads.  So the challenges we have is poor tactics and player selection in my opinion.  That's Robbo and his team I'm afraid.  He must accept that it's not working and change it.  All the blah blah about "free stuff" is meaningless if poor Curtis Main can't control a ball that has, quite frankly, been fired out of a cannon at his face.  He gets flak, but I'm not sure what people except him to do when that's what he's being asked to do.  It's embarrassing.

In the 35 years that I've had a season ticket, today is the first time I've felt that it's not worth wasting my time on a Saturday afternoon watching that.  It's soul destroyingly unenjoyable.  I fear that Killie will give us a lesson on Boxing Day and Hamilton will boss us next week.  If that's the case, I fear for us this season and beyond.

• Like 2

been quick to defend Robbo but after today he can pack his bags.  square pegs in round holes again..TAIT IS A FECKIN RIGHT BACK......grimshaw never a right wing back...….embarrassing today but I have to say noi matter what you think of his form to boo Sammon when he comes on is a farce.    the guy might not be good but doesn't deserve that

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

Burrows is as much to blame for this as Robbo but he keeps getting an easy ride as he’s a fan and some of our fickle happy crappy support are mates with him and wouldn’t dare let the facts get in the way of their mate who gives them a response on twitter. The truth is robbo has signed a squad of duds and burrows has signed off on it and wasted precious money on absolute shite . It’s an old pals act though and they are sadly untouchable . Our tactics are from the stone age and the entertainment value is zero. How long canRobbo and flow hide behind two cup finals that we reached and then never turned up in. And the sooner people realise the spin doctor shite about our profit and turnover is down to two big transfer fees and has fuck all to do with Robbos ability as a manager or burrows as a chief executive . If any of the two of them were decent our bank balance would be much better than it is right now . We need shot of both of them now before we hit rock bottom . 

Worst motherwell team in my lifetime and it’s not even worth watching anymore . Will burrows sack him to save his own job !!!!!or maybe he can fall back to his photography role he’s qualified for . 

Fucking this EVERY day if the week. Rudderless and fucking clueless.

6 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Yes our demise has coincided with Leanne Dempster leaving us for Hibs and Alan Burrows taking over as chief exec. Yes financially we're in a good place but on the pitch......jeeso.

It was Dempster that came up with the fan ownership pish, in a town where avg salaries are some of the worst in Scotland and who recommended Burrows and then fucked off to a rival club.  

2 hours ago, MFCL84 said:

It isn't where we sit in the league that is my main gripe, it is the manner of play. There is surely a requirement to entertain the home fans as well as stay in the league.

This.  7 recent games, check out these shots on target stats.

St. Mirren - 2 shots on target

Celtic away - 0 shots on target

Livingston - 1 shot on target

Hearts - 4 shots on target

Celtic home - 2 shots on target

Dundee - 4 shots on target

Rangers - 1 shot on target

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

For those stats alone the manager should be sacked 

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

South of the border this is known as Pulisball

Robinson has made some serious mistakes over the summer in particular.

For a team that "likes to get balls in the box", we have no width whatsoever, our only natural first choice wide players (when fit) are out of position in the system we play, and strikers whose main attributes aren't getting on the end of crosses. WTF.

The only shed of light i can take is that I believe he recognises it and so should be looking to address it in january. Not sure I trust him to do that though, but while he meets his remit by hook or by crook, he won't be sacked so heres hoping he can turn it around. I just hope it doesnt put the fans off longer term because we really have had to endure some poor poor stuff this season. And don't get me started on the "strategy" of the last week - total bulls**t.

We are not bottom but for 2 factors IMO. Dundee and st mirren somehow being worse than us, and the emergence of Turnbull - where would we be had he not came onto the scene.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfc88 said:

Robinson has made some serious mistakes over the summer in particular.

For a team that "likes to get balls in the box", we have no width whatsoever, our only natural first choice wide players (when fit) are out of position in the system we play, and strikers whose main attributes aren't getting on the end of crosses. WTF.

The only shed of light i can take is that I believe he recognises it and so should be looking to address it in january. Not sure I trust him to do that though, but while he meets his remit by hook or by crook, he won't be sacked so heres hoping he can turn it around. I just hope it doesnt put the fans off longer term because we really have had to endure some poor poor stuff this season. And don't get me started on the "strategy" of the last week - total bulls**t.

We are not bottom but for 2 factors IMO. Dundee and st mirren somehow being worse than us, and the emergence of Turnbull - where would we be had he not came onto the scene.

The only person I've heard from the club saying his "remit " is to keep us up is Robinson no surprise there . Listen nobody is saying it's an easy gig at Fir Park for the manager but as he also says he has been given full backing from the board he just hasn't made good decisions so the blame is at his door ,got to go before it gets worse 

13 minutes ago, Yodo said:

The only person I've heard from the club saying his "remit " is to keep us up is Robinson no surprise there . Listen nobody is saying it's an easy gig at Fir Park for the manager but as he also says he has been given full backing from the board he just hasn't made good decisions so the blame is at his door ,got to go before it gets worse 

I look forward to you  posting to this degree after the next win. This really has just made your weekend.

Has been mentioned the irony of having no wide players and playing direct wing football and our strikers main attributes are not heading. Not many John Suttons about.  What are Sammon and Mains attributes? I know Bowmans workrate is good. Sammon averages about 1 goal in 8 games on career stats and Main about 1 in 7. I rate D Johnson.

Prob out of squad I would keep Turnbull. Cadden. Tait. Carson. Johnson. Campbell. Dunn. Though we could be doing with more pace at back. If Gorrin cant even het in team. Why we buy him. Too many mefiocre midfielders without pace or creativity. Please new forward for xmas and a wide man.

16 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Just a note on Burrows today. The netting’s behind the goal mentioned can’t come soon enough for that period before kick off when the players are practicing shooting. Again today one kid hit in the face and an older guy hit by the ball while going up the steps with pies. The pies fly in all directions and within five minutes Burrows comes round into the stand, finds the old guy, then goes down into the stand to the catering section and brings him replacements. Can’t think of another chief exec that would have seen and done that.

You worry about what's happening wae the pies the rest of us will worry about what we are seeing on the pitch 

11 minutes ago, Yodo said:

You worry about what's happening wae the pies the rest of us will worry about what we are seeing on the pitch 

Try worrying a bit less mate and looking for everyone to lose their livelihood. It’s Christmas, season of goodwill and all that. 

15 hours ago, Muzz said:

For what it's worth, I think the recruitment strategy of signing  League 2 / non league English  players has served us well.  

Also, I believe that the squad of players we have  is good. The issue that we have is that the football players are having their creativity ripped out of them.  Case in point is Bigi; it's widely accepted he can't defend, so play him just off the striker in  a 4-2-3-1 or don't play him at all.  Also see Tait playing at left wing back when he is suited to right back in a back four.   Same with Cadden being out of position, and I could go on and on about other players and I'm sure you get the point.  We continually shoe horn players into a position that either doesn't suit them  or play a system that players clearly don't like.  I certainly can't understand why we play 5 midfielders and then launch the ball 30' over their heads.  So the challenges we have is poor tactics and player selection in my opinion.  That's Robbo and his team I'm afraid.  He must accept that it's not working and change it.  All the blah blah about "free stuff" is meaningless if poor Curtis Main can't control a ball that has, quite frankly, been fired out of a cannon at his face.  He gets flak, but I'm not sure what people except him to do when that's what he's being asked to do.  It's embarrassing.

In the 35 years that I've had a season ticket, today is the first time I've felt that it's not worth wasting my time on a Saturday afternoon watching that.  It's soul destroyingly unenjoyable.  I fear that Killie will give us a lesson on Boxing Day and Hamilton will boss us next week.  If that's the case, I fear for us this season and beyond.

This, all of this !!

4 hours ago, Yodo said:

Totally agree, the blame for what were seeing on the park is entirely at Robinson's door. The players he's signed, the formation he persists with, players shoehorned into any and every position.  I seriously hope it doesnt get worse, but as others have suggested, at this point in the season he will be judged on keeping us in a safe position and (hopefully) a cup run and not the product on the park. 

3 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Has been mentioned the irony of having no wide players and playing direct wing football and our strikers main attributes are not heading. Not many John Suttons about.  What are Sammon and Mains attributes? I know Bowmans workrate is good. Sammon averages about 1 goal in 8 games on career stats and Main about 1 in 7. I rate D Johnson.

Prob out of squad I would keep Turnbull. Cadden. Tait. Carson. Johnson. Campbell. Dunn. Though we could be doing with more pace at back. If Gorrin cant even het in team. Why we buy him. Too many mefiocre midfielders without pace or creativity. Please new forward for xmas and a wide man.

I would say that mains attributes are holding the ball up, strength and doing a power of work. He has rightly come under criticism for his strike rate this season, but for me, with the crop of players we have we are a better team with him in it.

We could well lose the next couple i’m afraid, Killy will have too much for us and Hamilton will fight touth and nail at their place. Problem is i’m not sure just how we can change things with the players we have available. Campbell looks like he needs a break, Biggi is a liability, Rose now unavailable, no Cadden, Gorrin probably not the right option. Up front you would not start with Bowman  or Sammon and still no Tanner. We need three or four new players in January if possible, wide man and another forward a must, but he needs to offload a few. 

19 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We could well lose the next couple i’m afraid, Killy will have too much for us and Hamilton will fight touth and nail at their place. Problem is i’m not sure just how we can change things with the players we have available. Campbell looks like he needs a break, Biggi is a liability, Rose now unavailable, no Cadden, Gorrin probably not the right option. Up front you would not start with Bowman  or Sammon and still no Tanner. We need three or four new players in January if possible, wide man and another forward a must, but he needs to offload a few. 

James Scott is sitting there.  Put him in for two matches.  See how he does.  We have wide players - give Hastie a shot, give Watson a shot.

Or just go out and spend more money on more players and then justify failure on having a small budget.

59 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Wouldn't let him bring in a cat for the office ,all we need is him gone .Love your confidence in Robinson beat by Killie and lose to Accies so who gets the blame for that ?