Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

postiejim

• 2 weeks later...

We look an absolute shambles so far from results to performances to team selection to formation to player omission and continued inclusion, and players fitness.

1 win in 11 or something?

I like Robinson but the buck stops with one man all of the above sits with him.

55 minutes ago, milo said:

We look an absolute shambles so far from results to performances to team selection to formation to player omission and continued inclusion, and players fitness.

1 win in 11 or something?

I like Robinson but the buck stops with one man all of the above sits with him.

I don't disagree. I would give him 11 league games. If we're still in the shit state we're in having played every other team once, we have to make a change. 

I fully expect people to say that's ridiculous. But we have played at least two, possibly three of the teams you'd be looking to take points off. Even if we improve and beat Accies and St Mirren, maybe sneak a draw off either Killie or St Johnstone, do you see us getting points from Hibs, the Old Firm or Aberdeen? That would be 8 points from 11 games. Relegation form ..

EDIT And there is no guarantee we will improve enough to take points from Accies or St Mirren. So we might not even have 8 points after 11 games...

On the topic of Long what was Robinson expecting?

He scored two good goals apiece against Hearts and Accies and one against St Mirren. The two Accies goals were great finishes after a dribble but any half decent team doesn't allow him to get the shot off. The Hearts goals were both good finishes but it's against the relegated team. The St Mirren goal was a great finish in a game that petered out.

Other than that he got the rub of the green from goalie errors against St Johnstone and Livi and scored his hat trick against Dundee who are utter shite. As soon as Cole left he was found out in his inability to lead the line and his attitude was shocking with stupid yellow and red cards which let us down badly. Despite that we put up a billboard for the guy when he reluctantly returned to Fir Park and seemed to have started the season with an expectation that he is a different player from the one who made 31 appearances last season. I read on P&B he is averaging 15 touches of the ball per game and as a comparison Lyndon Dykes had 53 last night. 

Just like having Grimmy as first choice right back Robinson thinking we can rely on Long to be our main centre forward and make top 6 is utter madness. People are saying what's happened to Long but the likelihood is he'll score against Accies and either St Mirren or St Johnstone in this round of fixtures and he'll have done exactly what he produced last season.

• Like 1

Unless Lang comes up trumps just like 2 years ago with Turnbull ( remember people were crying out for him to play ) and it was only due to an injury that Robinson finally played him and the boy did so well that he could not drop him. 

IMO he has a stubborn streak and I think that will be his downfall  … seems to be his way or no feck knows what imput Lesley and Ross have 

Robbo deserves time due to last season but his comments last night were horrendous . Said we are playing with 7 men every week yet he picks team and waited 77 minutes last night  to make a change so I’m afraid the buck stops with him . The fact he kept White on full game imo shows he accepted the hoof ball policy we played all game so imo last night his tactics were shocking . Yes certain players need to look in the mirror but so does he imo no idea what Watt has done wrong but I expected him to kick on this season but not getting a chance . It’s early days but we need to get a settled formation quick and it’s his job to this by picking right players in right positions .

11 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Robbo deserves time due to last season but his comments last night were horrendous . Said we are playing with 7 men every week yet he picks team and waited 77 minutes last night  to make a change so I’m afraid the buck stops with him . The fact he kept White on full game imo shows he accepted the hoof ball policy we played all game so imo last night his tactics were shocking . Yes certain players need to look in the mirror but so does he imo no idea what Watt has done wrong but I expected him to kick on this season but not getting a chance . It’s early days but we need to get a settled formation quick and it’s his job to this by picking right players in right positions .

Absolutely agree about Watt. I expected him to be our first choice centre forward.

44 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

Absolutely agree about Watt. I expected him to be our first choice centre forward.

I am amazed Watt didnt feature but wonder if there is an attitude problem in training.   Robbo likes to pass the blame onto players but he picks the team and formation.   It looks like we are going back to the honking long ball game from a few years back.  With his comments last night I think a big chance he could lose the dressing room. Hopefully things will turn for the better but if not his position has to be looked at.

26 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Think Robbo's comments are bang on tbh. Yes he picks the team and yes he makes the subs but I'd much rather hear him giving the players a rocket up their arses than "we need to be more street wise, but we'll go again..."

I am not doubting the players need a rollicking as the performances have been honking. I just mean that Robbo is equally as culpable as he picks team and signs the players

Robinson is right , we are playing with 7 players at the moment but this is down to the formation and team selection that he's picking.   A  4-3-3 should enable attractive football, with loads of crosses into the box BUT

There's no width on either side , which means we lose out on 4 players who can hurt teams.  

We have a makeshift right back that can't get up and down the flanks and there's no winger to pick up with.  The opposition don't need to worry about defending this side of the pitch. 

On the left we have no left back (due to injury) and any winger we've played in this position is right footed, which means he'll cut inside, so the opposing teams don't need to defend any side of the pitch.

Until we have wingbacks and wingers on both sides (on their natural foot) we'll have an issue, unless we change our current formation and put the ball on the deck and play through teams.

With Turnbull, Ohara, Campbell, Long, Lang, Watt we have plenty of decent footballers.  

Given our lack of wingbacks for now the better option would be to drop the 4-3-3 as is and play more of a diamond . 

• Like 1

If  his team selection is consistent, he doesn't know his best XI. If he chops and changes every week, he doesn't know his best XI.  He's onto a loser every week.

We've definitely been impacted by the injuries we've had but based on his comments last night, I think he's realised that the cajoling isn't working at the moment. Will either be a good few changes or a similar line-up with a much-needed kick up the arse against Hibs, but no doubt whatever route we go down will be the wrong one to many fans...

28 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

If  his team selection is consistent, he doesn't know his best XI. If he chops and changes every week, he doesn't know his best XI.  He's onto a loser every week.

We've definitely been impacted by the injuries we've had but based on his comments last night, I think he's realised that the cajoling isn't working at the moment. Will either be a good few changes or a similar line-up with a much-needed kick up the arse against Hibs, but no doubt whatever route we go down will be the wrong one to many fans...

who's playing in their natural position that needs a kick up the backside ?

Last night we had Lammie out of position which meant we had no width on the left to work with Seedorf (who has no left foot)
Long was out of position , which meant Grimmy couldn't overlap with anyone on the right  (and Grimmy isn't a natural RB either)

44 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

who's playing in their natural position that needs a kick up the backside ?

So do you think Robinson's comments last night were only aimed at those playing out of position? Would you think the application of Long and Hastie in the first two games, for example, met the standard you'd expect to see? 

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

On the topic of Long what was Robinson expecting?

He scored two good goals apiece against Hearts and Accies and one against St Mirren. The two Accies goals were great finishes after a dribble but any half decent team doesn't allow him to get the shot off. The Hearts goals were both good finishes but it's against the relegated team. The St Mirren goal was a great finish in a game that petered out.

Other than that he got the rub of the green from goalie errors against St Johnstone and Livi and scored his hat trick against Dundee who are utter shite. As soon as Cole left he was found out in his inability to lead the line and his attitude was shocking with stupid yellow and red cards which let us down badly. Despite that we put up a billboard for the guy when he reluctantly returned to Fir Park and seemed to have started the season with an expectation that he is a different player from the one who made 31 appearances last season. I read on P&B he is averaging 15 touches of the ball per game and as a comparison Lyndon Dykes had 53 last night. 

Just like having Grimmy as first choice right back Robinson thinking we can rely on Long to be our main centre forward and make top 6 is utter madness. People are saying what's happened to Long but the likelihood is he'll score against Accies and either St Mirren or St Johnstone in this round of fixtures and he'll have done exactly what he produced last season.

If that’s accurate re touches, that tells you a lot , Dykes having nearly 4 times as many touches as Long

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I am amazed Watt didnt feature but wonder if there is an attitude problem in training.   Robbo likes to pass the blame onto players but he picks the team and formation.   It looks like we are going back to the honking long ball game from a few years back.  With his comments last night I think a big chance he could lose the dressing room. Hopefully things will turn for the better but if not his position has to be looked at.

I don’t buy the “ lose the dressing room” thing....players , especially at smaller clubs are playing for win bonuses and are motivated by money , that’s not to say they don’t have professional pride too. Sometimes they’re just not very good.

41 minutes ago, mfc said:

Saturdays team selection should be interesting,after robinsons scathing comments last night,theres no way we won't be making changes.

For me there’s not a lot he can do with the back four at the moment

DM I’d play Barry Maguire with O’Hara Campbell and Turnbull in front of him

Upfront any two from Watt/Lang/Long/White

Oh and by the way well still get humped Horgan is going to have afield day no matter what wing he plays on 

11 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

For me there’s not a lot he can do with the back four at the moment

DM I’d play Barry Maguire with O’Hara Campbell and Turnbull in front of him

Upfront any two from Watt/Lang/Long/White

Oh and by the way well still get humped Horgan is going to have afield day no matter what wing he plays on 

I had suggested we play something similar last night, but with Turnbull sitting in front of a midfield 3 rather than Maguire sitting behind.

I know you don't really want to be dropping young players into a poorly performing side, but given current injuries to centre back and defensive mid option you have to wonder when Maguire is going to get a shot in the team if not now.

22 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

So do you think Robinson's comments last night were only aimed at those playing out of position? Would you think the application of Long and Hastie in the first two games, for example, met the standard you'd expect to see? 

Hastie was dropped , which is fair.   I think Hastie needs time to get back up to speed and I'd like to see him played on the left with Caroll or McGinley as full back. 

Long . I feel for him to be honest, he's limited overall but a decent penalty box striker.   It may be his application but I don't ever remember him playing well unless we was through the middle and high up the pitch. 

Personal view is our issue is Robinson knows his preferred players but they don't fit in his preferred 4-3-3 formation.  We have 4 centre forwards but unless Lang can play wide, none of them are much use unless they are played through the middle.   Similarly playing a winger without a wing back leaves the winger far too exposed.

4 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

I had suggested we play something similar last night, but with Turnbull sitting in front of a midfield 3 rather than Maguire sitting behind.

I know you don't really want to be dropping young players into a poorly performing side, but given current injuries to centre back and defensive mid option you have to wonder when Maguire is going to get a shot in the team if not now.

The reason I’d play Maguire behind the midfield three is to try and provide cover for our non existent fullbacks