Jump to content

postiejim

Robinson... How Do We Think He's Doing ?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Yodo said:

If the season had finished we may not have finished third ?

If my auntie had baws she'd be ma uncle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shaka said:

Im not saying its easy managing a football team. Ive done it for years at Amateur level and its a nightmare, I can only imagine how hard it would be to do it with a Professional team. 

With the transfers, McKinstry & McAleer never played in the first team and had been highly rated and scouted by clubs since they were 14-15. Turnbull and Scott were the 2 biggest prospects to come out of our Academy in 20 years, possibly ever! Hastie & Cadden are probably another argument, but overall I dont know what Robinson done with regard to these guys that any other manager wouldnt have done. The transfers are surely a Club triumph rather than success for one individual? I dont see Celtic fans lauding Neil Lennon because they sold Dembele & Tierney for £45m whilst he has been manager?!

Ive said it before and Il say again, I feel Robinson has done a decent job at Motherwell, but football is a results based business in the here and now. And the fact is that right now, he is doing a very poor job. We are bottom of the league, cant buy a goal and are throwing points away hand over fist. Im not even saying its all his fault! The players have to take responsibility as well, but the fact is, the Manager is the guy in charge and is the one who takes the fall.

Il not say anymore on this subject. Some will agree with my point of view, some wont. 

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stv said:

If my auntie had baws she'd be ma uncle.

Read the posts before you give an answer that means nothing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 6:37 PM, Frazzie said:

Robinson is doing fine, edging towards pretty good, but I sometimes think he gets a wee bit more praise than he is due. 
 

Absolutely correct to point out he’s brought in players that have done well and made us a good amount of cash (Moult, Kipre, etc) but I still reckon he’s made more bad signings than good. He tends to identify where we need to bolster and then signs four guys for the position in the hope that one of them turns out good. Guys like Illic, Manzinga, Sloth, etc seem to fly under the radar but there is a plethora of players he’s brought in, have been pish and have been hunted again so I wouldn’t give him too high a score in the “signings” category despite a couple of high-profile successes.

Tactically, it’s spot on to suggest he now tries to play a nice brand of football, using width and pace which, when it works, is what we all want to see. However, I do think if we are trying to give a balanced appraisal of Robinson’s time with us as a whole, it would be remiss to disregard that plan A was to lump the ball up to a couple of monsters in the hope that something worked (sometimes it did, hence 2 cup finals, but very often it didn’t and was turgid to watch). I would argue plan B was Ross McCormack (no further comment required on how that went) and Hastie, Turnbull, etc, and the subsequent change in shape was a last resort, which undoubtedly worked incredibly well.
 

In terms of in-game management, he is certainly bold, and again this has had mixed results. The St Mirren cup tie this season is a good example of this- in Paisley were winning and comfortable, he made a baffling substitution and moved O’Hara out of position with 20 minutes to go- they almost immediately equalised and we were lucky to get a replay out of it in the end. In the replay itself, he basically removed the defence and it somehow worked, albeit with a disappointing outcome

I like him a lot- he speaks very well and I think he’s a fine ambassador for our club, but I do think Motherwell fans tend to see things in all black and white and due to a 3rd place finish Robbo is the messiah- I just think a bit of perspective is required at times.

Not a fan of saying “I told you so” but some of my pre-season criticisms are starting to shine through. Bold in-game change cost us against Accies and he’s given Jordan White more game time than Tony Watt, which for me shows up what his preference is in a front man. My point on signings is standing up aswell as we have nine first-team forwards to fit into three shirts and still couldn’t score in a a barrel of fannies.

I still maintain that I like the guy but if we lose EITHER of the Coleraine or St Johnstone games his job must be on the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your comment reminded me of a thought I had after reading a number of views about losing against Accies due to the substitutions.  How does taking Campbell off make us concede from a corner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ropy said:

Your comment reminded me of a thought I had after reading a number of views about losing against Accies due to the substitutions.  How does taking Campbell off make us concede from a corner?

I suspect the thinking is that taking off Campbell loses control of the midfield and increases the chances of conceding corners.. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I suspect the thinking is that taking off Campbell loses control of the midfield and increases the chances of conceding corners.. 

If I remember rightly Campbell was having a terrible game.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

If I remember rightly Campbell was having a terrible game.

Then bring on Barry Maguire?  Switching to a flat 442 surrenders control of the middle of the park and puts the team on the back foot.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've not had a good 2020, by contrast we had a good 2019. We tend to go on runs of results good or bad under Robinson which means we can finish third but also finish 11th just as easily if the runs come in the wrong order.

If you look over all at what he's done in terms of win/loss ratio and how the club has turned substantial profits during this time you really can't expect much more, so looking those metrics he's done all that's been asked.

Saying that though we are currently in terrible form and have been for some time, I think he can turn it around and should stay in the job (look to when this thread was started and what people were saying then and what's happened since) but I can see why people are getting frustrated.

 

Maybe a little off topic but would we consider finishing 10th, going out both cups early doors but making the Europa League Group stage (with a big result over a name team in the play off round maybe) to be a success for the club/Robinson? We'd stay in the league and make more money than we would  from finishing third or a cup run so objectively it would be a success but would we see it/treat it as such?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steelboy said:

No.

At the time I think the comment was that he was looking less than committed, maybe had a slight injury. I think when it comes to Campbell some people give him far more leeway than other players get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

At the time I think the comment was that he was looking less than committed, maybe had a slight injury. I think when it comes to Campbell some people give him far more leeway than other players get.

I like Allan Campbell and he’d be one of the first names on my team sheet but he is still young and has his weaknesses. He doesn’t always win 50/50 battles especially against bigger lads  and sometimes his defensive play can be a cause for concern. When we’re on the defensive I’d like him to show more confidence and aggression and push out to close down attackers.  Overall though he’s good enough to play at a higher level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I like Allan Campbell and he’d be one of the first names on my team sheet but he is still young and has his weaknesses. He doesn’t always win 50/50 battles especially against bigger lads  and sometimes his defensive play can be a cause for concern. When we’re on the defensive I’d like him to show more confidence and aggression and push out to close down attackers.  Overall though he’s good enough to play at a higher level. 

For me it depends what level we are calling higher, he certainly has ability and when he plays well, we tend to play well. He did however have games last season including the Accies one where he was pretty poor, a few others in the team are slated but he generally gets a free pass, I think because he’s come through the academy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Maybe a little off topic but would we consider finishing 10th, going out both cups early doors but making the Europa League Group stage (with a big result over a name team in the play off round maybe) to be a success for the club/Robinson? We'd stay in the league and make more money than we would  from finishing third or a cup run so objectively it would be a success but would we see it/treat it as such?

I would take that in a heartbeat but it's pie in the sky. There's as much chance of winning the league as making Europa groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 3:24 AM, Stu92 said:

the majority of our fans still support  Robinson/the club.

And so were Hearts fans at this stage in their relegation season. See how that plays out if things don't change as it progresses. And i'm not advocating for removing Robinson even if it doesn't change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

I would take that in a heartbeat but it's pie in the sky. There's as much chance of winning the league as making Europa groups.

On current form yeah but if we weren't playing like shite I dont think it's that wild.

We have one legged ties against a team we should beat, a team about Aberdeen level and TBC team that will probably be about Rangers/Celtic level. Not likely bit certainly not out with the realm of possibility.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Yodo said:

Read the posts before you give an answer that means nothing 

Will do . Thanks for keeping me right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

On current form yeah but if we weren't playing like shite I dont think it's that wild.

We have one legged ties against a team we should beat, a team about Aberdeen level and TBC team that will probably be about Rangers/Celtic level. Not likely bit certainly not out with the realm of possibility.

 

Is the final play off round  not two legged to ensure that big teams don’t get dumped out by a freak result?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Is the final play off round  not two legged to ensure that big teams don’t get dumped out by a freak result?

Surprisingly not, single game like the qualifiers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Surprisingly not, single game like the qualifiers.

This is probably best chance we will ever get to make it to play off rounds. So let’s hope Robbo finds that Magic switch very soon 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

At the time I think the comment was that he was looking less than committed, maybe had a slight injury. I think when it comes to Campbell some people give him far more leeway than other players get.

Whose comment was that? I’d be surprised at Alan’s commitment ever being questioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×