Robinson Signings

prideoflanarkshire

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

How many of Robinson's signings are guys who can be counted on to give you a solid 6/7/8 out of 10 most weeks? For me it's just Kipre and Aldred (I would have added Tanner but Robinson didn't play him all the time when he was fit).

That's shocking.

I would certainly add two goalkeepers to that

42 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

His goal and assists put  everyone else to shame last season.  He’s been a big miss this season no doubt

41 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

To be fair, we'd kill this season for a player with 9 goals from 23 starts. I knew a few of them were penalties but he also created a few goals...

Don't get me wrong I understand that, I just doubt he'd do much in this set up.

He'll be lucky if he's able to return after such a long lay off, I doubt he'll be the same player when he returns.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He'll be lucky if he's able to return after such a long lay off, I doubt he'll be the same player when he returns.

Sadly I fear you might be right about him returning and not being anywhere near the same player...

47 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The club as well as the player himself will have similar doubts.  His mental challenge will be every bit as difficult as his physical one

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steelboy said:

How many of Robinson's signings are guys who can be counted on to give you a solid 6/7/8 out of 10 most weeks? For me it's just Kipre and Aldred (I would have added Tanner but Robinson didn't play him all the time when he was fit).

That's shocking.

Trevor carson, mark gillespie, Andy rose, Hartley until his injury. let's be honest if players could turn out 6/7/8 out of 10 every week, they wouldn't be playing motherwell.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:33 AM, prideoflanarkshire said:

Out of 25 signings in 2 years I would say 8 of them (bold) were a complete waste of money before even discussing the rest. 

The list above is just not good enough.

Our signings have been poor beyond the reign of Robinson so this is one instance where I'd cut Robinson some slack to the extent that the problem is deeper than just him.

We have signed some really abominable players over the last 5 years or so going back through the McGhee and Baraclough eras and even to a certain extent during the McCall 'he played for Bradford' period.

As I've pointed out on various occasions the club policy seems to be sign enough players to get one good enough to be sold on and while I understand that the club needs money I think, long term, this policy is flawed and likely to explode in our face when it has damaged the standard of professional, the standard of football at Fir Park and there is no real possibility on building on good foundations.

Secondly, it's been noted that quite a few players have been linked to Motherwell under one manager, or in one window, and then subsequently joined the club in another window under a different manager.  This seems to suggest at least some of the players are coming from a short list not of the managers making.

I would like to know more about our dealings and relationships with agents because, for me, its an area where I'd like to see the spotlight of scrutiny shine.

Either way, I think our transfer policy needs some adjustment.

10 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Trevor carson, mark gillespie, Andy rose, Hartley until his injury. let's be honest if players could turn out 6/7/8 out of 10 every week, they wouldn't be playing motherwell. 

Andy Rose was in and out the team, was subbed any time we actually needed to score and put in some of the worst individual performances i've seen in December 2017. He was anything but a consistent performer.

Putting in a 6/10 isn't a great ask. Tait and Aldred manage it. Cadden managed it for a long time before Robinson ruined him. Loads of players have managed for us.

Our signings have been poor beyond the reign of Robinson so this is one instance where I'd cut Robinson some slack to the extent that the problem is deeper than just him.
We have signed some really abominable players over the last 5 years or so going back through the McGhee and Baraclough eras and even to a certain extent during the McCall 'he played for Bradford' period.
As I've pointed out on various occasions the club policy seems to be sign enough players to get one good enough to be sold on and while I understand that the club needs money I think, long term, this policy is flawed and likely to explode in our face when it has damaged the standard of professional, the standard of football at Fir Park and there is no real possibility on building on good foundations.
Secondly, it's been noted that quite a few players have been linked to Motherwell under one manager, or in one window, and then subsequently joined the club in another window under a different manager.  This seems to suggest at least some of the players are coming from a short list not of the managers making.
I would like to know more about our dealings and relationships with agents because, for me, its an area where I'd like to see the spotlight of scrutiny shine.
Either way, I think our transfer policy needs some adjustment.
You can go back as far as you want and you'll find poor signings. The last manager that Motherwell won a trophy under and had a reputation for being something of a master in the transfer market signed the likes of John Gardiner, Alan Sneddon, Alex Jones, Dave McCabe, Paul Baker, Dave Shanks, Mark Caughey and Ally Graham to name but a few that spring to mind.

The model they have I think is pretty transparent. They've been pretty clear for a number of years that alongside home grown Motherwell products they want to buy cheap from England and sell back at a profit because English players, rightly or wrongly, have more of a reputation and English clubs have more money. Its no coincidence that's where the Head of Recruitment is based.

I share your sense of intrigue to an extent though as to how it fits together with some targets arriving even after changes of manager. There are times when Martin Foyle's role seems more Director of Football than the Head Scout as he's sometimes referred to.

As an aside I find it quite interesting that we seem to have "hot spots" of recruitment like NE England (Gateshead connection?) SW England (Plymouth?) and across the Midlands.

You've been a long term sceptic of that but I would imagine the club have achieved more in terms of a return than they probably dared hope for and will see the Fletchers, Blyths and Thomas's of the world as worth the gamble.

Again I do share a slight concern of the longer term viability of that model given that as soon as you hit a seem of successes the number of eyes on that league and those players will magnify and picking players up from that league becomes more difficult.

The positives I suppose are that if the right player is spotted we have the track record of sending them back south a division or two higher up from whence they came.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andy_P said:

You've been a long term sceptic of that but I would imagine the club have achieved more in terms of a return than they probably dared hope for and will see the Fletchers, Blyths and Thomas's of the world as worth the gamble.

Is the gamble worth it though?

Robinson has signed one player who has brought in a fee which is roughly £800k. The ten diddies have probably cost close to half a million in wages and signing on fees.

17 hours ago, Andy_P said:

You can go back as far as you want and you'll find poor signings. The last manager that Motherwell won a trophy under and had a reputation for being something of a master in the transfer market signed the likes of John Gardiner, Alan Sneddon, Alex Jones, Dave McCabe, Paul Baker, Dave Shanks, Mark Caughey and Ally Graham to name but a few that spring to mind.

The model they have I think is pretty transparent. They've been pretty clear for a number of years that alongside home grown Motherwell products they want to buy cheap from England and sell back at a profit because English players, rightly or wrongly, have more of a reputation and English clubs have more money. Its no coincidence that's where the Head of Recruitment is based.

I share your sense of intrigue to an extent though as to how it fits together with some targets arriving even after changes of manager. There are times when Martin Foyle's role seems more Director of Football than the Head Scout as he's sometimes referred to.

As an aside I find it quite interesting that we seem to have "hot spots" of recruitment like NE England (Gateshead connection?) SW England (Plymouth?) and across the Midlands.

Again I do share a slight concern of the longer term viability of that model given that as soon as you hit a seem of successes the number of eyes on that league and those players will magnify and picking players up from that league becomes more difficult.

The positives I suppose are that if the right player is spotted we have the track record of sending them back south a division or two higher up from whence they came.

I feel that over recent times we've seen a huge turn over of signings,  some leaving a few  months into their contract, others being paid off, yet more lingering around without contributing at all.

So I'm not suggesting that we didn't sign duds in days of yore.  You've mentioned quite a few.  But to counter that we signed Tommy Coyne, Rob McKinnon, Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell, Billy Davies, Sieb Dykstra, Luc Nijholt, Brian Martin, Miodrag Krivokapic, Stevie Kirk, Dougie Arnott, etc, etc. All players that I'd say are a huge step up from any player on our books these days.

There are degrees of failure and I think the most severe level of transfer failure has been achieve more often that it should have been.

One thing though, as I remember Ally Graham scored two goals in the last ever Motherwell v Airdrieonians match at Broomfield.  That alone makes the man a legend!  I'd perhaps substitute him for Bart Verhuel on your list of duds.

10 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I feel that over recent times we've seen a huge turn over of signings,  some leaving a few  months into their contract, others being paid off, yet more lingering around without contributing at all.

So I'm not suggesting that we didn't sign duds in days of yore.  You've mentioned quite a few.  But to counter that we signed Tommy Coyne, Rob McKinnon, Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell, Billy Davies, Sieb Dykstra, Luc Nijholt, Brian Martin, Miodrag Krivokapic, Stevie Kirk, Dougie Arnott, etc, etc. All players that I'd say are a huge step up from any player on our books these days.

There are degrees of failure and I think the most severe level of transfer failure has been achieve more often that it should have been.

One thing though, as I remember Ally Graham scored two goals in the last ever Motherwell v Airdrieonians match at Broomfield.  That alone makes the man a legend!  I'd perhaps substitute him for Bart Verhuel on your list of duds.

Big Ally also went on to win the League Cup with Raith Rovers so he couldn't have been so bad