2018/19 Game 22: Hibernian (H) Wednesday 23rd January

MelvinBragg

We aren't going to do anything playing 1 up front.

You need cultured players to play 1 up front and we don't have them. 

We need to go 3-5-2, 5-3-2, 4-4-2, a formation with 2 up front.  We've tried 3-5-2 so let's try 4-4-2.   The objection is always that you can be over run in midfield but that to me is the terror of the tactics board.

Out on the pitch, in real life,  I've seen plenty of teams play 4-4-2 and beat teams with 5 in midfield, quite often this season when we've been beaten.  A good manager should be able to set up a 4-4-2 against a 3-5-2 and be able to compete - although that involves hard working players that follow instructions.  There are a variety of ways you can do it, not just two wingers, two central midfielders playing in defined areas. 

Aside from our woes, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually we get something out of this.  Hibs recent record is poor (2 wins in 13 league matches, 1 win away in 6 was at Hamilton) and Robinson has a track record of pulling it out the fire just before it seems set to explode.

And although I seem to have said this a lot this season "We surely can't get any worse that last time?"

• Like 1

1 up front us only a problem if they’re left completely isolated.

in mark McGhees 1st spell and season I’d have said we played 4-5-1 when we were defending, but 4-3-3 when we were attacking. Great system if we have the players to do it, Aryibi and a fitter McCormack might allow for that?

Dunne simply can't play left back. Robinson needs to bite the bullet and drop Peter Hartley.

I'm not really sure on the formation, I don't even know what we are trying to do anymore.

I'd like to see Robinson give the likes of Hastie and Scott the chance from the start, but he won't. He's going to go for Sammon or Main.

Just give us something to get slightly optimistic about Motherwell, pretty please.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

1 up front us only a problem if they’re left completely isolated.

in mark McGhees 1st spell and season I’d have said we played 4-5-1 when we were defending, but 4-3-3 when we were attacking. Great system if we have the players to do it, Aryibi and a fitter McCormack might allow for that?

But who would be our target man? He would need to be physically strong, mobile and good in the air. These players aren't easy to find and don't come cheap. 

You're right about the issue of isolation. In the recent past when the likes of Moult or Sutton have been playing alone up front supporting colleagues, were they playing wide or centrally, were usually about 30/35 yards away rendering any occasional knock down useless.

1 hour ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Dunne simply can't play left back. Robinson needs to bite the bullet and drop Peter Hartley.

It seems like the situation with McHugh last season all over again.

Hartley’s not been playing well, but Robinson doesn’t appear to want to drop the club captain. Even though he’s either not fully fit or completely off the boil.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

But who would be our target man? He would need to be physically strong, mobile and good in the air. These players aren't easy to find and don't come cheap. 

Connor Sammon is big, strong and can hold the ball up, he’s just really bad in the air for a guy of his size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I'm not really sure on the formation, I don't even know what we are trying to do anymore.

I'd like to see Robinson give the likes of Hastie and Scott the chance from the start, but he won't. He's going to go for Sammon or Main.

Just give us something to get slightly optimistic about Motherwell, pretty please.

I'm not convinced with some of the Hartley hate here. 

The two goals at the weekend were from Dunne letting a cross in and both from the man Aldred was marking...

15 minutes ago, superward said:

I'm not convinced with some of the Hartley hate here. 

I'm not sure hate is the right word. I like hartley. Problem is he's too similar to aldred, and frankly IMO aldred is the better player. I agree with the original poster that Dunne is a centre half and brings the much needed pace to compliment Aldred.

Also when in possession Hartley is probably the biggest culprit for head down and launch. You can almost see him winding his leg up!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I will be happy if Scott gets 15 minutes tomorrow then 20 minutes on Saturday, if he shows up we’ll get him in the team from the start.

If we throw him straight in and it doesn’t work it will be career over in some folk’s eyes.

11 hours ago, mfc88 said:

I'm not sure hate is the right word. I like hartley. Problem is he's too similar to aldred, and frankly IMO aldred is the better player. I agree with the original poster that Dunne is a centre half and brings the much needed pace to compliment Aldred.

Also when in possession Hartley is probably the biggest culprit for head down and launch. You can almost see him winding his leg up!

I think McHugh is a better centre half than both Hartley and Dunn personally. I would play him alongside Aldred. I’m not really sure what Dunn offers other than pace, he certainly can’t pass a ball and is all over the place at times.

Dunne is useful if playing the left sided third of a defensive three. His pace covers for those without it and the other two makeupfor the odd error he may make. Playinghim as part of two centre backs is risky. Aldred and Hartley are similar. Solid but unspectacular and neither the quickest. McHugh is capable and probably offers more than any of the other options at centre back, but he also offers something as a defensive midfielder screening our defence. Throw in the potential of Mbulu and we are not short of options. You would think that there is a combination in there that should work. We also have a decent right back in Tait and plenty of midfielders ( Campbell, Grimshaw) we could try out in the screening role should we want to play McHugh elsewhere. What we have failed to do is fill the gap at left back. I would give someone a serious run to try their luck there, either Livingstone or ATS. I suppose half of the problem is that we use seven of the eleven players in a team to stop the opposition scoring which leave four to make a significant contribution in trying to actually win a game. Not easy with the standard of player available on our budget.

11 hours ago, wunderwell said:

I'm going to give you a big arrogant clue........

Whoever the interview pre-game is starting; so everyone needs to filter Gorrin into their midfield!

PS: Stephen if your reading this; don't change it on this occasion

(Everybody else look back!!!!)

Sounds to me like he's been given tonight off as he kept mentioning the next game on Saturday...

15 hours ago, superward said:

The two goals at the weekend were from Dunne letting a cross in.....

Stevie Hammell did that for years and years and not just him. 

The problem we have is that Hartley has struggled to recover from injury and is too similar in style to Aldred.  We badly need some pace in the middle of the defence and we currently don't have a central defender who is really dominant in ther air.  Am I right in thinking that Dunne played in the middle as one half of a central two at Rugby Park just over a year ago and was a standout? 

23 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Recent memory for me  would suggest we did when Higdon played with Law, Ojamaa, Humphrey and McFadden in behind him, with Lasley in the anchor role.

I'd say that was Ojamma playing beside Higdon and McFadden in the slot.

Just now, fizoxy said:

Gillespie

Grimshaw Aldred dunne tait

campbell gorrin

ariyibi Turnbull hastie

main 

Frear injured, Sammon, bigi, McCormack, Johnson and Hartley on bench. 

Could also line up 4-4-2. Defence looks better than Saturday but central midfield still looks defensively light. Hope we're not lining up with a sole striker.

20 hours ago, wunderwell said:

I'm going to give you a big arrogant clue........

Whoever the interview pre-game is starting; so everyone needs to filter Gorrin into their midfield!

PS: Stephen if your reading this; don't change it on this occasion

(Everybody else look back!!!!)

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1