2018/19 Game 22: Hibernian (H) Wednesday 23rd January

MelvinBragg

1 minute ago, Fairhill said:

From someone at the game or watching, is there better football, or is it still hoofball? This from a fan of the Babes who only played football.

Better football.

Still a few times when they have punted instead of passing, but better than Saturday.

6 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

According to the BBC, we have 27% possession for the first half. Is that even close ? Can't see the game so on BBC text and here for updates :-/

I found out recently that companies like Opta that measure these things just count the number of passes each team makes rather than how long each team has the ball. So they can look a bit weird sometimes.

We have easily been the better and more dangerous team so far.

Just now, weeyin said:

I found out recently that companies like Opta that measure these things just count the number of passes each team makes rather than how long each team has the ball. So they can look a bit weird sometimes. 

According to the Beeb

"This is a vastly different Motherwell performance from their Scottish Cup exit on Saturday. The Steelmen have had Hibs pinned back for most of the first half and David Turnbull’s wonderfully composed finish was the icing on the cake.

Gboly Ariyibi and Jake Hastie have terrorised the visiting defenders down the flanks and it was the latter who set up the goal.

Hibs’ new signings have been fairly quiet. Stephane Omeonga is on a booking and is naturally taking a while to adapt to the speed of the Scottish game. Ryan Gauld started brightly but saw less of the ball as the half went on."

While I look at the stats, there is only one that counts. Shots on goal and corners might help, but possession means nothing. If passes counted Henderson at Liverpool is the best, but that's only because he's petrified he might have to do something with the ball if he keeps if for more than three seconds. More goals than the other team seems like the best measure for me in the long run. Bring back the Weir, Hunter, Saint, Quinn and Andy Weir any day!!!

11 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

According to the BBC, we have 27% possession for the first half. Is that even close ? Can't see the game so on BBC text and here for updates :-/

Not even close, good old BBC. Hibs with slightly more possession I’d say.....Football has been better with Gorrin & Turnbull in particular trying to keep it on the deck. Both Gboly and Hastie looking really dangerous at times....Hibs struggling to get in behind.