2018/19 Game 22: Hibernian (H) Wednesday 23rd January

MelvinBragg

Night and day (funnily enough) from Saturday.  Hastie, Turnbull and Campbell linked up so well.  Grimmy superb but Main remains a problem.

Voluntarily going down to 10 men for the last half hour probably wasn't the greatest idea in the world though.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Such a difference from Saturday and good to see Robinson to have the balls to drop Hartley and McHugh.....that should give them both a wake up call.  Grimshaw, Campbell, Hastie and Turnbull excellent.   Main badly needs a goal and still poor show to hear Sammon being booed by some when he came on.   Also the fights outside ground at end very unsavoury

What about the fight inside the ground! :lol:

Well fair fucks I enjoyed that. 

Watching Turnbull is an absolute joy. The lads range of passing, movement and technical ability is class. Backed by the powerful running and skill of Hastie & Ariyibi will certainly entertain. 

Central midfield balance looked so much better with Gorrin & Campbell who I thought played well together. Gorrin started a bit slack but grew in a great performance, his ability to release the ball quickly allowed our attacks to start quicker. Hopefully he can get a run in the team as I think he will only get better. Campbell his usual tenacious self and god did we miss him on Saturday. 

Main I thought worked his arse off in the lone striker role. Held up well and caused bother. Apart from a ten mins spell in the first half that he kept giving the ball away. A goal would spark him off I think. 

Grimmy was brilliant as the flying full back and Tait also had his best game in a while. 

Genuinely delighted at that tonight but also tinged with a what the fuck was Saturday all about. That team would have pumped Ross County.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

That's because Main is hiding (which he's being doing for weeks now).

I can't let this pass without comment. Main had a poor game tonight, but to say he was hiding is just ridiculous.

For a striker, the number of goals he has scored this season is a bit embarrassing, however it certainly hasn't been down to a lack of effort. 

• Like 6

Just now, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I can't let this pass without comment. Main had a poor game tonight, but to say he was hiding is just ridiculous.

For a striker, the number of goals he has scored this season is a bit embarrassing, however it certainly hasn't been down to a lack of effort. 

Agree 100%. 

He was far from hiding. That’s just shit talk. Was in about everything tonight. Badly needs a goal and tbh I don’t think he is far off. 

Played the loan striker role well tonight. 

• Like 2

Fantastic performance. So much better than Saturday. What a difference playing with 2 proper wingers and Turnbull attacking midfield..... and actually passing the ball!

Think the criticism of main is harsh. His goal return this season is poor to say the least, but tonight he put in a shift and a half up top by himself. Was practically wrestling with McGregor all game and looked knackered just before he got subbed for sammon. Sammon didn't offer the same intensity though. 

Campbell's best game for a while and grimshaw was brilliant. Gorrin Looks a player too when we're not bypassing the midfield.

More of the same please.

Stating the obvious but that was night and day to Saturday’s performance.

The three supports to main all played well and gorrin added a bit of composure in the middle of the park that we don’t have when Turnbull isn’t playing there.

Kudos to grimshaw for his second half performance too.

It was also good to see some composure running down the clock in injury time with the two subs, McCormack and bigi, and several others, retaining possession effectively.

I felt entertained this evening.

• Like 1

Never saw fights inside ground as we are at other side of East stand but I am getting fed up with the increasing incidents that are occurring.   Seats getting thrown at accies and now this.....get a grip lads and concentrate on supporting the team or I will be unleashing more bad jokes and believe you me you don't want that.......heh he.......COYW

Tonight we had a team to be proud of and that goal will go down as one of the highlights of the season. There’s nothing better than seeing young talented boys take their opportunity. Fingers crossed we can get the contracts sorted out so that we see Campbell, Turnbul and Hastings combine for at least one season. 

Credit to Robinson for making the changes tonight. I’m no sure what he was thinking ahead of the Ross County game but tonight thankfully brings a degree of optimism. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I thought Main played well tonight, and had some half chances (saying he missed any "sitters" is just untrue), but it's clear for all to see he's trying too hard to score at times. I reckon we should persevere with him for now.

Sadly, right now, he's not going to miss any sitters because he has given up taking risks to get into positon in the box.

He's overcompensating by dropping deep and working hard, but that keeps him away from where he should be.

I hope he turns it around soon, but I'm not sure playing him is helping his confidence.

Talk about Jekyll and Hyde!!  What a difference from the cup game.  Its great to see good young enthusiastic players in the first team and doing very well too.  We've always been a club that produces good youngsters and plays them  (Ancell Babes, McCrae, Wark, Forsyth, McAllister, Walker, McClair, Boyd, O'Donnell to name but a few). The only downside is that if they keep this up the scouts will be around FP like flies around a turd.

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Sadly, right now, he's not going to miss any sitters because he has given up taking risks to get into positon in the box.

He's overcompensating by dropping deep and working hard, but that keeps him away from where he should be.

I hope he turns it around soon, but I'm not sure playing him is helping his confidence.

If we're playing up at front, which I think we should be as the shape clearly benefits the rest of the side, then I don't think we have much choice. Johnson isn't well rounded enough to lead the line alone, McCormack looks 3 stone overweight and Sammon is Sammon. Main might not be a stand out but he's the only one that can occupy defenders and hold up the play. If only he could occasionally score goals too.

• Like 1

Like most it was an enjoyable game tonight. Makes Saturday all the more frustrating......

Main works his balls off but is is still struggling to score and again he had a couple of very decent chances. 

Stand outs for me were Hastie and Grimshaw. Gboly looked v good at times and early as it is will be good to watch. 

It helped that Hibs were impotent up front but that was a decent display and a balanced side. 

I get Ross Mccormack needs minutes but I was worried his sub may come back and bite us. 

Typical Motherwell. Hopefully we can halt the trend and out a few decent results together. If we play like that we stand every chance. What a goal too. Was a belter. Fine pass at the end from Hastie. Perfect..

Same starting line up for me on Saturday v Dundee. 

Fair enjoyed that tonight.

Best performance at home since the Aberdeen game, which was the best since the Rangers game.

Good to see the manager ring the changes and for once he got it bang on. The team looked balanced, lots of energy and we played ENTERTAINING PASSING FOOTBALL!

Campbell, Turnbull and Hastie were all magnificent tonight and should be keeping their places for Saturday. They showed the standard required and it should give some of the more experienced players something to think about.

Gorrin was excellent and teamed up well with Campbell. Between them they gave Turnbull the freedom to go and play.

Main put in a helluva shift up front. He got battered by their defence all night but just kept coming back for more. He desperately needs a goal and with a little more composure in the first half he would have had one after being played thru and taking a decent touch away from the defender. He should be keeping his place as well, unless we can pull another rabbit out of the hat before the window shuts.

More of the same on Saturday please!

2 hours ago, rinkydink said:

Night and day (funnily enough) from Saturday.  Hastie, Turnbull and Campbell linked up so well.  Grimmy superb but Main remains a problem.

Voluntarily going down to 10 men for the last half hour probably wasn't the greatest idea in the world though.

Plus 1

Terrible decision to bring on a player who is clearly not fit...........could have majorly backfired 

apart from that excellent 3 points with some excellent performances team wise......especially Curtis 

I didn’t mention grimshaw earlier, but he’s great to watch when he plays like that. I’d take Tait at LB if Liam plays like that at RB. Playing against him and Campbell (and now Hastie) must be a royal pain in the arse. 

We’re going to have to balance getting McCormack fit and keeping the lineup as strong as possible. I doubt we’re going to get a full 90 out of him while he’s here based on what we’ve seen so far. However, i didn’t think he let us down when he came on.

Im not sure why Ariyibi is taking the set pieces either, we have 3 or 4 guys in today’s lineup alone that can put in a better dead ball.

I also enjoyed Bigi’s wee cameo, he slowed the game down when needed and helped see the game out.

before the game I feared a doing from Hibs, but I’m assuming they are dealing with some injuries, or more likely overhyped like their Edinburgh counterparts,  because they didn’t look anything special.