2018'19 Game 23:Dundee (A) Saturday 26th January 2019

Yabba's Turd

9 hours ago, Rab T. said:

Whether we are safe now or not, Robinson still has to go at the end of the season  for me. We need a fresh approach with a Manager that wants to play football on the deck, and has the initiative and guile to have a plan A, B, C and more if need be.

Don't get me wrong I was a big fan of Robinson when he was a coach and at the start of his Mangerial career with us, but this season in particular has shown No improvements whatsoever, infact I personally think we have dropped our standards regards playing football to hoofball. That coinciding with gambles on the transfer front with the likes of Main, Bowman and Sammon that have backfired badly. We need a or at least two proven Goalscorers, ones that proven themselves or at least  shown the potential over the course of a season or more.  Main and Bowman  when he was here were great as target men and great at playing in a Goalscorer or other players but that is all they are and were, as for Sammon  he was some ludicrous Panic buy. And as a result of  all this we have badly dropped our standards throughout the whole team imho.

Onwards and upwards  and the blooding of more fresh young youngsters like Turnball Hastie and Campbell. 

Roll on the end of the season, a new start, out with the old boys act and start afresh.

Totally disagree with pretty much all of that. 

To say we need a manager who has plan A,B,C and more for me is a bit harsh. It’s fair to say Robinson’s favoured formation is 3-5-2 or at least it has been. But he changed to 4-4-2 around October time and it worked for a time until the scudding at Ibrox! 

He then reverted back to the 3-5-2, a tried and trusted style that got us to 2 cup finals, but it wasn’t really working so he’s now switched to a 4-2-3-1, which has seen us win 2 and keep 2 clean sheets out of 2. 

I think it’s clear to see we have improved over the season, especially recently although there’s still work to be done. 

Also you say we need to sign a proven goal scorer? When was the last time we signed a proven goalscorer at this level? We don’t have the budget to sign these kind of players, we take a chance on players who are either playing lower league or non league in England, or players who have struggled and looking to rebuild their careers. 

Anyway about the game yesterday I didn’t think it was the great performance but felt we showed in glimpses of good football at times. Thought Gorrin was our best player, feel like we might have a good player on our hands if he can get a run of games and stay clear of injury. 

14 hours ago, that hat said:

Can you just continue spending more time with your dog and less time going to Motherwell games.  Cheers!

To be fair I was at the Hamilton and Hibs wins. I have a friend who was not at the last 3 league games and he is coming to Livingston game. If we lose that I am hiding his season ticket.....

Glad you had a good day out. Looked like we rode our luck a little. 

On a separate note I had a good evening and am in good spirits, unlike the usual suspects who post such negative drivel regardless of result. I do agree that we have been for the most part poor this season and silky football has been in short supply.

But this clamour to change the Manager. If I knew for a fact it would make us better then I would be all for it. But there is absolutely NO guarantee this would happen. Robinson looks like meeting our objectives for the league once more. If we finish anywhere above 9th arguably he is exceeding his remit. 

Dundee and St Mirren have changed Managers this season and the impact has been minimal if not worse in the case of St Mirren. 

Some of these posts just baffle me. We have one of the lowest budgets in the league so where do we need to finish in the league for a manager not to get sacked ? I get the football is poor but he’s stated he’s trying to change it. Individuals stated they wanted the young players in, he’s sent them out to get game time and that’s now happening, Maguire will be next. We are never going to be able to bring in the same quality of players that just about half the teams in this league can, we have to bring in lower league players who are a risk along with our youngsters. Have we gone backwards from last season ? After 23 games last season we were 6th but with only one point more so hardly. We are safe and could even finish higher yet people still want him out in the hope we are going to find someone else who will have us playing silky football on peanut money.

• Like 3

Nice to see attempts to change the style - and looks like we've finally got the balance of pace on the wings and dig / bit of skill through the middle of the park. Still rough round the edges but if these players are given the chance to continue to play together I can only see the football improve. Robinson does like a sweeping change so I'm not overly optimistic that'll happen. 

It's absolutely clear we're playing without a goalscorer up-front and only Robinson can be blamed for that. He's lucky we have players in other areas who are popping up with goals while we continue our search for the elusive goalscorer. I still maintain Danny Johnston might be that guy, but I'm not sure he's got the physicality to play the hold-up role Main is in. 

Regardless, full credit to the manager and players for 9 points from 9. To find ourselves 3 points from Livingstone in 7th after their 'remarkable' season so far suggests that we've been doing something decent.

18 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Vital result and keeps Robinson in and us watching shite for rest of the season. As long as we stay up we can wave him cheerio in May. I know Alan Burrows is a good guy/Motherwell to the core etc but a new chief exec would be nice too. Preferably someone who isn't out of his depth. Thank feck for Dundee. Virtually guaranteed a win against them. As soon as we get safe we can write this season off.

What a rubbish post. You want Robinson out so you moan about a win. Would you prefer us to have lost to Hibs, Dundee and Livingstone next week and see the manager sacked. We would be in a relegation battle with no manager for three weeks, the window closed and a  chief executive who is totally out of his depth, charged with finding the brilliant  new manager. Oh dear. 

• Like 2

I thought that was good situational awareness by Campbell. We were winning and only seconds were left on the clock. If he runs straight for goal he gets caught, and gives them possession in the middle of the park and he’s out of position, if he waits and plays someone in there is no guarantee of a goal. He took the less selfish option and knocked a bunch of time off the clock, and it worked.

The only argument I can see for pushin gforba goal there is to boost our goal difference, but let’s face it, if this season comes down tongo difference we’ve royally fucked up.

I see that some have taken to having a go at the chief exec again for some reason (I’m guessing it’s just hard for some folk to be happy). Say what you want about individual decisions he might have made, but to say he’s out of his depth is just daft. He didn’t achieve his position in a vaccum, and he seems to have a great reputation with our board and his peers, never mind the whole improvement in our financials whilst till making long needed improvements to the pitch and the stadium.

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

The keeper was in a terrible position. Campbell should have put his foot through it, worst case a by kick.

He managed to run it out for a throw which is comically bad.

Which was probably down to him being just a wee bit knackered by that stage?

Not a great display yesterday but we won and the 3 resultant points takes us that bit further away from the bottom 3 and closer to Livingston, who we can catch if things go our way. The game was close and Dundee are an improved side, if only slightly.  They were always going to be up for it but lacked quality and composure in the final third. Young Turnbull stayed cool and under pressure and tucked away a perfect penalty.  Interestingly no Sammon on ther bench at Dens.   

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not a great display yesterday but we won and the 3 resultant points takes us that bit further away from the bottom 3 and closer to Livingston, who we can catch if things go our way. The game was close and Dundee are an improved side, if only slightly.  They were always going to be up for it but lacked quality and composure in the final third. Young Turnbull stayed cool and under pressure and tucked away a perfect penalty.  Interestingly no Sammon on ther bench at Dens.   

St Mirren manager stating they will have a big centre forward in shortly.

21 hours ago, Rab T. said:

Roll on the end of the season, a new start, out with the old boys act and start afresh.

I see this turn of phrase used fairly often on here about the club and almost always in a negative fashion. Whilst suggesting that it couldn't be further from the truth is maybe  pushing it, I think over the piece we have done well and continue to  do well in benefiting from relationships, links and connections that those associated with the club have established over time.

So it continues to grate with some that Robinson got the gig a couple of years ago because a perceived old boys mentality at the club - the irony being that the man some of those making the old pals act claim wanted instead was an old boy himself; and of course not everybody who comes to the club is going to work out as hoped.

But then would you have got the likes of Craigan, O'Donnell, Lasley, McFadden, Pearson, McDonald and Hammell etc. back for second and sometimes third stints without the connections and the affinity built up and relationships established first time around?  Would you have a guy in the squad just now that was being punted about for £12m only a couple of years ago?  You don't know what calibre of players we might otherwise have signed instead of those guys and how they might have got on but for me it is undoubtedly a positive that these guys do come back and in many cases knock back better offers to do because of the way the club is run and the value that is placed on establishing long standing relationships with the people the club employ.

I think over the piece we've had a good more hits than misses.

The way it often gets banded about you would also think we are the only club that ever uses connections when looking at managers and signing players but that obviously isn't the case.  I listened the Owen Coyle interview on the Open Goal podcast the other week and there talking about his early managerial days and with the space of a couple of minutes he's went from how Alex McLeish phoned a chairman to recommend him for a job, how he'd done the same to get Derek McInnes in at Bristol City and how the relationships he'd established with Ferguson and Wenger got him players like Chris Eagles and Jack Wilshire ahead of other teams.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

I see this turn of phrase used fairly often on here about the club and almost always in a negative fashion. Whilst suggesting that it couldn't be further from the truth is maybe  pushing it, I think over the piece we have done well and continue to  do well in benefiting from relationships, links and connections that those associated with the club have established over time.

So it continues to grate with some that Robinson got the gig a couple of years ago because a perceived old boys mentality at the club - the irony being that the man some of those making the old pals act claim wanted instead was an old boy himself; and of course not everybody who comes to the club is going to work out as hoped.

But then would you have got the likes of Craigan, O'Donnell, Lasley, McFadden, Pearson, McDonald and Hammell etc. back for second and sometimes third stints without the connections and the affinity built up and relationships established first time around?  Would you have a guy in the squad just now that was being punted about for £12m only a couple of years ago?  You don't know what calibre of players we might otherwise have signed instead of those guys and how they might have got on but for me it is undoubtedly a positive that these guys do come back and in many cases knock back better offers to do because of the way the club is run and the value that is placed on establishing long standing relationships with the people the club employ.

I think over the piece we've had a good more hits than misses.

The way it often gets banded about you would also think we are the only club that ever uses connections when looking at managers and signing players but that obviously isn't the case.  I listened the Owen Coyle interview on the Open Goal podcast the other week and there talking about his early managerial days and with the space of a couple of minutes he's went from how Alex McLeish phoned a chairman to recommend him for a job, how he'd done the same to get Derek McInnes in at Bristol City and how the relationships he'd established with Ferguson and Wenger got him players like Chris Eagles and Jack Wilshire ahead of other teams.

good points andy p 

as in other industries you create bonds with people you work with and "get them a kick into jobs" etc that they normally wouldn't get, so football isn't any different, also you may work somewhere when you are younger , then end up back there at some point, so again football isn't any different, but then we get people moaning that a player leaves us to go to X or Y for 4x there wages and they are cants for doing it, when we would all do the same, so the football fans wee world is fickle as feck, but as you say players will come, players will go, players will come back.it wont stop us the fans on here moaning like feck when it happens anyway just my wee take on things,