2018/19 Game 24: Livingston (H) Saturday 2nd February

Yabba's Turd

I hope Robbo has learned his lesson from the previous 2 games against them and we dont try to match them up physically man for man. They have out battled us both times.

Not sure of the best formation, but stay solid at the back and get the ball down and play.  Keep the energy of the younger ones in the team and try and move the ball quickly around them. Their defenders will lap the long ball up all day long.

So we just need to win by seven now to go above them in the table. 

Joking aside, a few months ago I don't think any of us would have thought we had the slightest chance of being anywhere near Livingston this season. Unless they've badly regressed I don't think we've got enough about us to beat them and would settle for a point right now. 

13 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I hope Robbo has learned his lesson from the previous 2 games against them and we dont try to match them up physically man for man. They have out battled us both times.

Not sure of the best formation, but stay solid at the back and get the ball down and play.  Keep the energy of the younger ones in the team and try and move the ball quickly around them. Their defenders will lap the long ball up all day long.

I don't know about matching them physically man for man but we have to be prepared to stand up to them physically, albeit with some real footballers in the side. When they're in possession they'll play long and they'll play hard and thats when we have to match them, whether we like it or whether we don't.  Gillespie, Aldred and Dunne (if they all play) will have to be prepared for a battering as will our striker(s), if the game at Livingston is anything to go by.  If we don't we'll lose its as simple as that. When we're in possession they'll get wired into us and we have to be strong enough to stand up to their challenges.   When we have possession we have to try to play it on the deck though and give our wingers and the likes of David Turnbull a chance to play some football.      

35 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know about matching them physically man for man but we have to be prepared to stand up to them physically, albeit with some real footballers in the side. When they're in possession they'll play long and they'll play hard and thats when we have to match them, whether we like it or whether we don't.  Gillespie, Aldred and Dunne (if they all play) will have to be prepared for a battering as will our striker(s), if the game at Livingston is anything to go by.  If we don't we'll lose its as simple as that. When we're in possession they'll get wired into us and we have to be strong enough to stand up to their challenges.   When we have possession we have to try to play it on the deck though and give our wingers and the likes of David Turnbull a chance to play some football.      

My point was we shouldnt just try to match them up like we did, particularly in the last game at Fir Park where we tried to out muscle them. The game turned into a shitfest which they won. Im not suggesting for a minute we roll over. We have plenty of players who can stand their ground, but we need to play a little more football if we want to win the game.

8 hours ago, daver said:

So we just need to win by seven now to go above them in the table. 

Joking aside, a few months ago I don't think any of us would have thought we had the slightest chance of being anywhere near Livingston this season. Unless they've badly regressed I don't think we've got enough about us to beat them and would settle for a point right now. 

Really, I don’t think this is a team we should be exactly fearing. When you are starting with two players in Erskine and Lawless who struggled to get a start with Thistle and are well past their best I would say they are very beatable. They had a great start to the season but are slipping back now. Lost their last four and not won in the last six.

57 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Really, I don’t think this is a team we should be exactly fearing. When you are starting with two players in Erskine and Lawless who struggled to get a start with Thistle and are well past their best I would say they are very beatable. They had a great start to the season but are slipping back now. Lost their last four and not won in the last six.

Just the sort of run that pretty much always ends against us.

10 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

My point was we shouldnt just try to match them up like we did, particularly in the last game at Fir Park where we tried to out muscle them. The game turned into a shitfest which they won. Im not suggesting for a minute we roll over. We have plenty of players who can stand their ground, but we need to play a little more football if we want to win the game.

I agree with that.  Currently we can't match their physicality but we do have better football players.  I think they'll sit in and hope that we just shell in high balls to their central defence and then launch high balls to their striker(s). Hopefully this time Robbo will prepare Mark Gillespie and our central defence to withstand roughhouse tactics at set pieces.  Its a game we should be looking to win. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'd start Frear and Hastie. Frear made a difference on Saturday while Ayiribi was poor.

Frear was definitely the best of the three at the weekend.  Gboly looked knackered from the start and Hastie was good in spells, but - as you'd expect from a youngster at this stage - took on his man or went for the byline at times when an earlier pass would have been better (as his assist against Hibs proved). No doubts that he'll improve on that the more game time he gets, and it's not the worst problem to have.

same starting eleven again, can't imagine Robinson will change a winning formula at the moment. In any case, unless injuries permit him to of course I think he would be mad too. Finally seems to have got the balance right, two wins, albeit a scrappy one at Dundee, I personally wouldn't want him to upset the rhythm and I doubt he would either.

Consistency in selection and set up for me is the order of the day so I'd stick with the team that started Dundee.

The manager will have Livi's strength and height in mind, quite rightly, but I hope resists wholesale changes or sticking McHugh in and dropping Campbell/Gordon.  Both whom I think can handle themselves as well as any and play a bit of football too. A few leggy performances after 90 mins midweek up at Dens but hopefully a good weeks rest and training should remove that concern.

All going well and introduction of Livi, Scott  for 20 - 30 mins regularly between now and end of sesson would be great too. 

1 hour ago, superward said:

We should be taking a point minimum  in my view as that's what they'll play for. 

So important to get the first goal against the bigger/stronger teams.

My view too.  Its a game where we should revive Alex Macdonald's tactics whilst at Tynecastle (in part only I should add).  Any player crossing a ball over head height that doesn't result in a goal receives a hefty fine.   It'll be crucial to get the first goal and draw them out.   

Livingston might be on their worst run of the season (no wins in 5) but looking at the results they have all been closely contested, excluding the Rangers match (1-1, 0-0, 0-1, 1-2).  In fact Livingston have never conceded more than one goal against any of the bottom 6 teams this season so I don't see them as being fodder on Saturday.

Another wee stat.  Robinson has never won 4 league matches on the trot as Motherwell manager.  So if he manages to overcome that it will be the best unbroken run of league form in his time at the club. 

Been at all games , including LC,  they’re worse than us but no-one worked out their style. Teams have started to do that and win round it , we should’ve beat them at FP but for wonder strike free kick ? 2–0  ‘Well  DT  and Main score