2018/19 Game 24: Livingston (H) Saturday 2nd February

Yabba's Turd

2 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

We scud Livingston 3-0 and the match thread is 4 pages long.

We lose at home to Kilmarnock and it's triple that alongside the Robbo thread growing by a few pages, and calls for Burrows to be sacked because he's out his depth etc etc...

A lot of the discussion after a defeat is people arguing for and against various points with exchanges going on for two, three, four replies so obviously that's going to generate a lot more content.  

When people come on and pretty much agree that it was a good performance that sort of rolling debate doesn't happen.

True. The people that spoke 4 games back seem to panic and dont envisage the longer game view.  Also forgetting prior success. I dont disagree that we have been poor regularly prior to this but positive signs there and also managed progress with injuries to key players. Robinson is a young manager and is growing  in vision with the squad. He also can change system when needed.

30 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Not sure what games your watching. 

No 1 - we are not playing 4-4-fucking 2. We are playing 4-4-1-1 or today a more 4-3-3. 

No 2 - Alex Gorrin has been instrumental in our recent form and I amongst others thought he was excellent today. Won every header, was very strong in the tackle and kept the game flowing with quick passes and changes of play. To say he’s a 5’s player is just utter nonsense.

Excuse me for having an opinion.  And if you read my post again I actually said that he could do a job. There are guys come on this forum that are totally negative. If you read my posts I am always positive but hey in future I will just keep my mouth shut...ps...... COYW

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Excuse me for having an opinion.  And if you read my post again I actually said that he could do a job. There are guys come on this forum that are totally negative. If you read my posts I am always positive but hey in future I will just keep my mouth shut...ps...... COYW

Not having a go at your opinion. Haha my curse in No 1 was actually a quote from Mike Bassett.... not a good joke if I have to explain it. 

My point re Gorrin is that a lot of fans put the emphasis on the importance of McHugh record in arial duels and second balls. However I thought Gorrin more than matched that today with the added ability to pass the ball quickly and effectively. Think it’s harsh to call him a 5’s player. He’s been excellent last few games. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

And I will add it's difficult to concentrate on game in East stand when you have a guy sitting near you who spends whole game shouting OUT....OUT.....OUT

To be fair, we do have a habit of not getting out quick enough after our initial clearances. Tait in particular today played a couple of Livingston players onside. 

At least, that's my excuse...

• Thanks 1

Just watched the highlights. A few things stood out to me...

Take nothing away from us but the first and third goals were absolute gifts from Livi. The keeper for the first and two guys falling over for the third.

When Gorrin wins the ball in the middle of the park for the second goal 99% of midfielders in the league would've knocked it to Grimshaw. Gorrin is good enough to keep hold of it and set us off on an attack.

The whole team goes over to Main when he scores. You can clearly see we are a closely knit team and chat a few weeks ago about players not trying or playing for the manager were clearly way off.

Ariyibi is something else, and Hastie reminds me a bit of Oliver Burke. He'sso direct.

Bring on the next game!

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Just watched the highlights. A few things stood out to me...

Take nothing away from us but the first and third goals were absolute gifts from Livi. The keeper for the first and two guys falling over for the third.

When Gorrin wins the ball in the middle of the park for the second goal 99% of midfielders in the league would've knocked it to Grimshaw. Gorrin is good enough to keep hold of it and set us off on an attack.

The whole team goes over to Main when he scores. You can clearly see we are a closely knit team and chat a few weeks ago about players not trying or playing for the manager were clearly way off.

Ariyibi is something else, and Hastie reminds me a bit of Oliver Burke. He'sso direct.

Bring on the next game!

3rd was never a gift

I was frustrated at Gillespie taking t long to release at times. They had a corner. He got the ball and had a simply superb throw out to Hastie who reached Hastie perfectly. Remember they were slacking a corner. This caught them massively off guard and for such s young player Hastie is a tank. He put them under pressure they made a mistake and he scored. 

Football is most of the time decided on who makes mistakes and we forced them to make them. 

Im far from a Robbo fan but credit for today. Every loose ball we had 2 players going for it and I never saw hoof ball once. 

So yes less pages but other than we played well good team selection. Good tactics. And a convincing win I can’t say much more. Still not a fan of main though. Took his goal superbly but his timing for headers is woeful.  It score like that every week and who cares. 

10 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

To be fair, we do have a habit of not getting out quick enough after our initial clearances. Tait in particular today played a couple of Livingston players onside. 

At least, that's my excuse...

Is it actually you Melvin ? 

I sit in front of that chap and depending on circumstances it varies from a simple out to a gutteral oot oot oot......

I have grown to like it :-)

Wow what a transformation in the last few games. The emergence of Turnbull and more recently Hastie added to Gboly and a reliable Gorrin in midfield means we seem to have found a team that can actually play football. I am however cognisant of the fact that these games are v teams in bottom 6. Will be interesting to see how we perform v teams above us. 

I am sure we will suffer a mini slump again or a few losses but credit to Robinson for turning it around for now. Proves the point to me at least that panicking and sacking your Manager can yield a less positive outcome than sticking by him. 3 teams below us have all sacked their Manager and for at least 2 of them it will have made little noticeable difference.

Club please sign up Hastie on similar if not longer deal than Turnbull. Do that and we will all be v happy. 

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am sure we will suffer a mini slump again or a few losses but credit to Robinson for turning it around for now. Proves the point to me at least that panicking and sacking your Manager can yield a less positive outcome than sticking by him. 3 teams below us have all sacked their Manager and for at least 2 of them it will have made little noticeable difference.

I think that's something boards never get credit for, and something our frequently targeted chief exec will certainly never get credit for from some.

It takes nerves to stick by a manager when the fans turn, and I'd say 90% of well fans I knew (including myself) were at that stage just a few weeks ago. I doubt these four wins will have rid Robinson of all his doubters, but it certainly looks like the right decision now. 

As an aside, being a club that isn't trigger happy can only enhance the quality of applicants in the future. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Great result and gives us outside chance of top 6 as Sellik Will win tomorrow........4-4-2 suits us well. Still unsure about Gorrin.  Looks like a 5-a-side player but given more games I think he could do a job

14 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I think the opinion you voiced is a strange one. Gorrin has been pivotal to our displays recently. Given his lack of playing time and short cameos I thought he was a waste, probably coupled with our style. Since we have changed it up Gorrin has been like a new signing. He's cool, calm and always looking for a simple pass. He did get caught in possession once or twice today but the positives outweigh the negatives by far. Having guys like Turnbull, Hastie and now Gboly in front of him and looking for the ball means that we have went from unwatchable to entertaining. Full credit to Robbo for having to do that, cause we are doing it well and I believe Gorrin is instrumental in our style now.

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think the opinion you voiced is a strange one. Gorrin has been pivotal to our displays recently. Given his lack of playing time and short cameos I thought he was a waste, probably coupled with our style. Since we have changed it up Gorrin has been like a new signing. He's cool, calm and always looking for a simple pass. He did get caught in possession once or twice today but the positives outweigh the negatives by far. Having guys like Turnbull, Hastie and now Gboly in front of him and looking for the ball means that we have went from unwatchable to entertaining. Full credit to Robbo for having to do that, cause we are doing it well and I believe Gorrin is instrumental in our style now.

Gorrin always had spells where you could see he had talent, he just needed that opportunity and to stay fit. He just seemed to go under the radar for many in the drive to claim that Robinson’s summer recruits were awful. Robinson also still really  rates Donnelly, another one I would not write off too early.

What a difference from December complete turnaround.  Played so well and very pleasing to see.  The second goal in particular was a joy to behold and reminiscent of 'Well sides of years past. Alan Campbell looking like Phil O'Donnell with every passing game - great box to box player. Jake Hastie looks a real top class player in the making. The defence looks more sound playing with as an orthodox back four. No failures yesterday. Fair dos to Robinson for recognising the need to change our style of playing.  Oh and white shorts with claret socks also reminiscent of Well teams of years past. Lol. Onwards and upwards. COYW.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Don’t know what game you were at 

For the first goal Hastie was brave and put his head in where the keeper could have taken it off

As for the third he out mussels the first defender the sits the second one on his arse with his skill and then has the composure to slot it home

A bit of credit where credit is due wouldn’t go amiss 

Gorrin although a lot better, reminds me of Lee Lucas a lot the young lad we brought in from Swansea, when he played and not injured he was excellent, did a similar job to Gorrin they kind of play the same. Gorrin is absolutely incredible though wins the aerial battles and hard in the tackle to “battle the right to play” as Robinson says often. 

11 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Is it actually you Melvin ? 

I sit in front of that chap and depending on circumstances it varies from a simple out to a gutteral oot oot oot......

Club please sign up Hastie on similar if not longer deal than Turnbull. Do that and we will all be v happy. 

If you're in the second section in of the East Stand, then aye it's probably me. 

I wholeheartedly agree on Hastie by the way...

3 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Don’t know what game you were at 

For the first goal Hastie was brave and put his head in where the keeper could have taken it off

As for the third he out mussels the first defender the sits the second one on his arse with his skill and then has the composure to slot it home

A bit of credit where credit is due wouldn’t go amiss 

I wasn't at the game, I said I was talking about the highlights. My post was merely an observation that a couple of fuck ups helped us on our way.

There has been plenty of credit where it's rightly due, but it's not unfair to say that Livi could've dealt with the first and third goal better.

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

all about opinions and I take everything on board.   I am always fair to players and certainly don't boo players like the ones that boo Sammon when he comes onto the pitch. I think Gorrin could be a key player but I will decide once he has had full run of games.  Good job I didn't comment on Frear,  he is a player I don't rate but I better not comment....COYW

• Like 1