2018/19 Game 24: Livingston (H) Saturday 2nd February

Yabba's Turd

Gorrin, like Turnbull gives himself time and options by letting the ball run across his body to open up the pitch.

He's also two-footed, so when the play is in front of him he can switch either way.

It creates fluency and means you can go more  quickly from back to front front without using long balls.

It's one of my frustrations with Frear - although I like him - he has a tendency to check back rather than letting the ball run across him. He loses a yard or two and helps the defender by doing it as it invariably means he's having to go again from a standing start.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:30 AM, GazzyB said:

Just watched the highlights. A few things stood out to me...

Take nothing away from us but the first and third goals were absolute gifts from Livi. The keeper for the first and two guys falling over for the third.

Piffle.  What part of the ground were you sitting in? 

I tend to agree with Gazzy. Livingston were terrible  in the first half hour. Their manager has a lot to answer. It was as if he had not watched  us since December. To line up with two forwards Erskine  and Lawless as wing backs and  three centre backs marking Main gave our wingers loads of room  to destroy them. 

Their goalie made a hash of coming  for the free kick and Lawless was out muscled and the second defender slipped and the shot went  through the keeper at the third. 

Can you imagine the usual suspects on here if our manager had made such a tactical error and our defence had conceded in that manner.  I am taking nothing away from  a great performance  but sometimes  you have to look at the opposition. 

1 hour ago, sinjy said:

I tend to agree with Gazzy. Livingston were terrible  in the first half hour. Their manager has a lot to answer. It was as if he had not watched  us since December. To line up with two forwards Erskine  and Lawless as wing backs and  three centre backs marking Main gave our wingers loads of room  to destroy them. 

Their goalie made a hash of coming  for the free kick and Lawless was out muscled and the second defender slipped and the shot went  through the keeper at the third. 

Can you imagine the usual suspects on here if our manager had made such a tactical error and our defence had conceded in that manner.  I am taking nothing away from  a great performance  but sometimes  you have to look at the opposition. 

Sorry ………… But have you watched the 3rd goal 

Hastie is on the edge of the 18 yard box when Gillespie collects the ball from the corner 

He sprints 40 - 50 yards to take the throw out in his stride 

He then is to strong for the first defender and then drops his shoulder as if to go inside and while still going at speed goes to the outside of the 2nd defender 

This bit of skill is what makes the defender to do the splits and fall making him look like Bambi on ice … great bit of skill by Hastie

Hastie then puts the ball throgh the legs of the keeper ………… how many goals are scored with the ball going through keepers legs ??

The highlights are on BBC web site and on official site ………… suggest you and Gazzy go and have a look and just appreciate a great bit of skill from young Hastie 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

The highlights are on BBC web site and on official site ………… suggest you and Gazzy go and have a look and just appreciate a great bit of skill from young Hastie 

It didn't go through the keeper's legs, it came off his left arm and deflected in. It was the least Hastie deserved for the two bits of strength and skill you mention though... if I had any criticism it was that he didn't appear to look up and see Gboly unmarked at the back post, but at 2-0 up and confidence high he was more than entitled to have a pop himself.

It's mental that we have this academy graduate who's come into the first team, taken it by storm, scored twice on Saturday, one of which a fantastic solo goal, yet you come on to the match thread and we have people giving in-depth analysis of each and every part of it to try and discredit the lad.

Gees peace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numpty said:

It didn't go through the keeper's legs, it came off his left arm and deflected in. It was the least Hastie deserved for the two bits of strength and skill you mention though... if I had any criticism it was that he didn't appear to look up and see Gboly unmarked at the back post, but at 2-0 up and confidence high he was more than entitled to have a pop himself.

Sorry but if you have run two thirds of the length of the pitch and beaten two defenders there is no way you are going to pass it even if you have seen an unmarked teammate. Unless your name is Messi or the likes of course.

29 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

Sorry but if you have run two thirds of the length of the pitch and beaten two defenders there is no way you are going to pass it even if you have seen an unmarked teammate. Unless your name is Messi or the likes of course.

I don't blame him at all for taking it on himself. Was just something I noticed, and will be interesting to see whether the coaching staff did too and tell him to look next time ;) 

12 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Piffle.  What part of the ground were you sitting in? 

I wasn't there, I am going by what I saw on the highlights. As mentioned in the post you quoted. Suppose if it's not chat about big mean midfielders you don't really read it properly do you?

9 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

suggest you and Gazzy go and have a look and just appreciate a great bit of skill from young Hastie 

Hastie does really well for the first goal and incredibly well for the third goal.

The Livi keeper gets caught in no man's land for the first and for the third their first defender runs 40 yards without looking at the ball and then the other guy falls on his arse.

It's not a case of one or the other is true and the other is false, they're both completely accurate. I can surely notice point two and comment on it without it being mandatory to say point one (that had been said many times already in the thread). It seems that people think because I notice a couple of errors in our opposition I'm saying that that was soley the reason we scored and nothing else. Of course Hastie is brave, and of course his strength, skill and quality shine through for the third. But to say that it was sheer brilliance alone and not some bad mistakes from Livi as well is just untrue.