Craig Tanner (the forgotten man)

DEWELL

As far as I know he had his contract extended recently by a year to take him up until summer 2020.  Our club , unlike some others in Scotland, believes that a player should leave in the same medical condition in which he arrived.  He was injured playing for us and we're doing the decent thing by him.  Apart from anything else that will promote the club's image to players.   He was sat in front of us at NDP at the back end of last year. 

I hope he returns to full fitness with us - good luck to him.  Its good to see MFC stick by him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dezz said:

I think there was 8 assists to go with those 9 goals as well. If it wasn’t for injury he’d definitely have finished our top scorer last season. He’d be a useful player for the current system so here’s hoping he can recapture some of that ‘hype’ when for again. 

He did finish top scorer albeit Moult would’ve got it if we were keeping him in the running.

13 hours ago, Brazilian said:

it was a pretty shit thing to post

however , moving on from your thoughts on a guy that strides up and down the POD stand stairs each home game, to take his seat an watch his team mates play.

whats your thoughts on,  Motherwell dont release players that are injured , myth?

Sensitive little souls on here if that goes down as a shit thing to post.

It’s a business. If he isn’t fit enough to positively contribute to the team by the summer then he should be on his way. It isn’t a charity that we are running. 

Edit to add that he was in fine form before his injury his injury and thought he was decent.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

My contract says my employer covers my wages for long term illness, not sack me.

But if you were an employee on a fixed term contract, would you expect your employer to renew that when it comes to an end if you were unable to hit the standards?

This isn’t a charity for injured footballers that we are running here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch said:

But if you were an employee on a fixed term contract, would you expect your employer to renew that when it comes to an end if you were unable to hit the standards?

Its not quite the same though.  Craig Tanner was injured whilst carrying out his agreed duties at work.  It wasn't an injury sustained whilst away from his workplace or an unrelated illness.   

16 hours ago, Mitch said:

You're all heart. 

16 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its not quite the same though.  Craig Tanner was injured whilst carrying out his agreed duties at work.  It wasn't an injury sustained whilst away from his workplace or an unrelated illness.   

It really isn’t that much different. If he is unable to hit the standards expected to play at our level then he should be released once his contract has expired. It’s the same that would happen in any other industry when an employee is on a fixed term contract. Somebody on a permanent contract, with no expiry date, is a different scenario all together. Those of course don’t exist for players at a football club.

Tanner should be kept on simply because he performed for us and deserves another chance.

There were times last season when Tanner was far and away our best player and the only guy that was putting in performances week in and week out.

If he can get back to where he was he is a definite option for us.

@Mitch

The difference is, it’s not like he’s unfit to “hit the standards” because he’s sitting on a couch eating crisps and taking the piss.

He’s injured, an injury he picked up playing for us.

If we apply the “real world” logic to injuries, we’ll have Digby Brown chapping the door soon enough.

I think it is only right that the Club continue to honour the contract of a player injured whilst carrying out his contractual duties as long as he is adhering to an agreed recovery programme.  I doubt whether, legally,  there is any alternative.   Also, if there is a reasonable expectation of him returning to fitness shortly after his current contract expires, I think it would be fair and reasonable to offer him a final short term contract of say 6 months, After that I would imagine there will be Insurance  Cover which will kick in if his career is over due to that injury.  I understand there is a history of players having to call it a day to collect a decent payment rather than prolonging matters trying to endlessly get fit to play.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Tanner has a contract until the end of next season does he not?

If he isn't fit/able by then are folk suggesting we extend it regardless?

I’d think by that point, he’d be considering chucking it, presumably footballers have some sort of insurance against career ending injuries?

We absolutely should be standing by Craig Tanner.

If he cant make it back, then he will retire through injury. Im sure there will be insurance in place to assist him financially.

Lets hope it doesnt come to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I’d think by that point, he’d be considering chucking it, presumably footballers have some sort of insurance against career ending injuries?

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s correct. I remember reading an interview with Craig Gordon where he talked about this. After his years of injury problems he had to make a decision between calling it a day and securing a big pay out or taking the contract at Celtic and foregoing any large payout if he broke down again with the same (knee?) injury. Obviously it’s worked out in his case but must be a tough decision for a player to make. 

5 hours ago, Dezz said:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s correct. I remember reading an interview with Craig Gordon where he talked about this. After his years of injury problems he had to make a decision between calling it a day and securing a big pay out or taking the contract at Celtic and foregoing any large payout if he broke down again with the same (knee?) injury. Obviously it’s worked out in his case but must be a tough decision for a player to make. 

I believe that’s why Chris Humphrey “retired” then signed for EK a week later?

and remember reading that about Gordon too.