2018/19 game 25: St Mirren (A) Wednesday 6th February

texanwellfan

That team deserve full credit tonight. St Mirren certainly weren't awful and had more than their share of pressure, particularly in the first half. I thought we mixed it up well - kept possession very well, played some nice counter attacking football at times and even the long balls were purposeful (particularly from Dunne who I think can actually pick a pass) - the two goals were absolutely wonderful. We seem to have a solid back 4 now and Gillespie has been absolutely steady. Frear and McHugh's coming were absolutely the right substitutions at the right time. Yet to see what McCormack is supposed to be contributing though. 

To think that not long ago we were chucking Sammon, Bowman, Main and Johnson on the pitch at the same time to try and score goals. What a difference a month makes. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

That's where me miss Cedric - he liked to zip a pass along the deck. Mbulu looked capable of that too, but we'll never see that from Dunne or Aldred.

Not on the deck I'll grant you but Dunne played a tremendous long ball to Hastie which would have had him through on goal with a better touch.

McCormack wasn't really seen when he came on but seemed to be moving better and made a really good run which would have seen him through on goal if Frear had played the ball across. 

Not our best recent performance, some patchy individual performances tonight, but overall I think we deserved to win on chances created although I felt at times we were sitting too deep, especially second half and you could sense more of a 'don't lose it' rather than a 'go out and win it' vibe.

Thought Hastie was sensational in the first half but then quietened down a bit in the second, Turnbull had a poor-ish first half but came more into it in the second, Ariyibi had some nice touches but drifted out of the game too often and Main worked hard but when he needed a wee bit of quality he just didn't have it.

So we weren't quite as fluent tonight as we have been in the last few matches but it was still a decent enough performance and another step in the right direction.

An incredible run! We clearly have a decent generation of young players coming through, each of Campbell, Turnbull and Hastie have arrived in the first team fully formed and looking undroppable. Would be sad not to see Cadden 's energy and power back before he moves on, if that's what's happening. Manager gets huge credit for the last month, blushes all round for contemplating his sacking, including myself.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that tonight.  Not our best performance of the season but still tried to play football the right way. 

Take a bow Jake Hastie what a stunning goal. Absolutely top class and a great performance all round. 

David Turnbull is just a joy to watch at times. His ability to retain possession and create space is instrumental in the way we play. His play to set up Tait to pass to Frear for the second goal was top quality.  Similar to the weekends pass to Campbell for Mains goal. 

Elliot Frear was also excellent when he came and roasted mcGinn on a few occasions. A confident Frear is a very potent weapon. 

Considering the wee prick Nick Welsh gave us fuck all aswell we can be proud of the win to make it 5 in a row. 

2 of the best goals I’ve seen Motherwell score since, well, Turnbull’s v Hibs!

Incredible run. 5 consecutive league wins in this league, regardless of who the opposition were, is no mean feat.

As someone else said, just a pity there’s no cup run to get excited about.

all the usual suspects were excellent. I thought Gorrin was class in the middle of the park, he does the dirty side of the game so so well, and has the composure to regain possession after making the tackle. Also a mention to Main, who ran himself into the ground last night and deserved a goal, his hold up play was class last night, chased down every ball, the work he does at the top end of the park is second to none.

11 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

all the usual suspects were excellent. I thought Gorrin was class in the middle of the park, he does the dirty side of the game so so well, and has the composure to regain possession after making the tackle. Also a mention to Main, who ran himself into the ground last night and deserved a goal, his hold up play was class last night, chased down every ball, the work he does at the top end of the park is second to none.

totally

I don't think it's been mentioned but the manager deserves credit for the substitutes last night. Gorrin had to be taken off before he was sent off just through number of fouls awarded against him (although I thought a number of them and the booking were soft) and Frear made a difference from the tiring Ariyibi. Whether it was the substitutes or we stepped up a gear, we really came to life after they equalised. 

6 hours ago, Electric Blues said:

Better yet! 

SPFL5.GIF

ETA: St Mirren - ooft.

I was reading last night that when the beat us in December they closed the gap between us to 6 points. Now it's 21. Just shows how quickly a good run or a bad run for a month can shape the entire season.

As much as we've put together a great run, they've had a corresponding run of 5 defeats. They don't seem to have had as much of a lift from the new players as Accies and Dundee so you can see why their fans are very concerned. 

We've now won as many points (and more games) in 2019 than they have all season.