Carson or Gillespie

claretband

Hypothetically if Carson was fit for our next game, you’d have to say Gillespie holds the gloves and stick with him until he gets injured/suspended or loses form.

If say Carson returns for pre season in July, there’s a natural break so could put him back in....

1st world problems!

He was on off the ball and the open goal podcasts yesterday and said he is on warfarin (a blood thinner) and can't do contact sports until May 25th when his dosage of that ends. He said they are still trying to find the root cause but he hopes to get the green light to return for pre-season.

Without both, we'd possibly have been in bigger trouble this year.... so I'd quite like to keep both if they're both happy. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to keep Carson (assuming he's fit), just on the basis that a full international goalkeeper has the potential to make us an extra few quid if he moves on again in a year or two.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:53 AM, weeyin said:

Gillespie has been on better form this season than Carson was before his injury. Not that Carson was bad, just that Gillespie has been better - and uses his extra height to good effect. 

I'd agree with that although perhaps his illness had something to do with his form earlier in the season which was not as good as last season.

But generally I'd say if you have players performing anywhere on the field you leave them there so it's Gillespie's position to lose now.

Trevor was absolutely outstanding last season. Didnt quite hit the same heights this season but then neither has the rest of the team and you have to factor in his injury.

No doubt Gillespie has been brilliant since he came in so its his jersey to lose.

Not sure if there will be any bids for Trevor close season now that he is out. More likely Gillespie could attract interest.

Hard to see how we can keep both happy long term, so getting some money in for one and keeping the other would be advantageous and make up for the early cup exit.

Whatever happens its a nice problem to have.