Who Stays And Who Goes?

supermarv

As our season seems to have come to a nothing season, although we will be pushing for top six which would be fanstastic. Be interesting to see the opinions of everyone on who should be staying at the club and who should go regarding who’s contracts are up in the summer. Hastie and Gorrin are a must. 

Could someone find out everyone who’s out of contract in the summer first team and reserves?

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

As our season seems to have come to a nothing season, although we will be pushing for top six which would be fanstastic. Be interesting to see the opinions of everyone on who should be staying at the club and who should go regarding who’s contracts are up in the summer. Hastie and Gorrin are a must. 

Could someone find out everyone who’s out of contract in the summer first team and reserves?

Definitely get Hastie on long deal, I won't comment on Gorrin as I done that on saturday and got slated even though I think he could be a key player but I what I will say is he tries to play football , maybe that's why Robbo wouldn't pick him originally!! Ba boom

• Like 1

From the list above we know that ATS, Sammon and Newell will be gone. We also now know that Maguire, Scott and Hastie have been offered new deals. Don’t know if he mentioned livingstone.

Gorrin and Grimshaw are doing well now, but who knows what their plans are, ideally i’d like them to stay.

I like Frear too, but I’d imagine he’ll be after more regular playing time.

Mbulu is a backup player, and probably would be next season too, so not sure what we do with him.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think Gorrin is certainly worth another deal as is Grimshaw.  I'd like to see Aldred signed on a permanent deal.  McHugh is an interesting one - what do posters think about him?

Gorrin had mentioned in an interview before the Hibs game he wanted to stay and if he reaches a certain amount of apps it would trigger an addition year but he did state he was far away from that target then. 

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think Gorrin is certainly worth another deal as is Grimshaw.  I'd like to see Aldred signed on a permanent deal.  McHugh is an interesting one - what do posters think about him?

I would actually offer McHugh another deal, he’s adaptable and a very usuful centre half when we need someone reliable. He may end up a backup player next season if everyone signs a new contract but he’s a good back up to have.

6 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Jeez, forgot all about cadds, I must have just resigned myself to him going this year.

I hope we we can get another season from him, he’d  essentially take Ariyibi’s place and I think he’d thrive there.

Probably going to get a lot of stick here but Cadden is nowhere near Ariyibi. Cadden is an all round class player but he’s no blessed with incredible pace, feel like next season he could be moved to the middle of the park and occasionally the wings.

• Like 1

As I said, in the rebuild thread, I'm torn on McHugh.

What we have to consider is that given he signed his current contract at the start of last season, it's a captain and first choice central midfielder's contract. The wages in that won't reflect a backup centre half, which is the circumstance I would keep him in.

Good player to have about the squad, but I'd only keep him if the wage of his new contract reflects his current role in the squad.

OUT

McHugh. It should be a priority to move McHugh on.  He's dreadful and emblematic of everything wrong with the team over the last year and a half.  Can't pass, poor decision making, riddled with mistakes, rash, no pace etc.  For me he's got to go and I don't make any apologies for it.

Frear.  He's not had many starts this season and I can't see him getting many next season either.  I think his time may have passed.  I want players coming in who are pushing for a first team place, not guys settling into a perennial sub spot and I think that's where Frear is at the moment.

Main.  A frustrating player because he does good work in certain areas but he just doesn't have the cutting edge.  The number of chances he misses is criminal and his shooting accuracy is really poor.  Unless he had a Sam Cosgrove style improvement on his goal scoring I think I would let him go and look for a different player.

Newell.  Basically made no impact whatsoever.  Like Mbulu he's a bit older than the other 'younger' players and I don't see a route for him into the team.  We should be concentrating on James Scott so Newell has to go.

Sinclair-Taylor.  I actually thought ATS did reasonably well in his last couple of games but he's not done enough to earn a new contract and his loan away suggests his time is up at the end of the season.

ON THE FENCE

Mbulu. For me Mbulu has been a wee bit shakey and he's a bit older than the other younger players.  At 22 I'm not sure his development curve puts him  ahead of younger guys like Livingston and Maguire. 

Grimshaw. I have not been a Grimshaw fan for the most part but he has done quite well at right back, much more so than in midfield, so he has kind of turned my opinion around but I think long term I'd rather have a proper left back with Tait going to right back.  If Grimshaw can keep his current form going I'd maybe offer him a deal as a back up or at least a challenger for RB. 

Cadden. Right now Cadden doesn't make my starting XI but of course Ariyibi won't be here next season.  Perhaps a bit like Mark Reynolds, Cadden's development has stalled a bit and think from his point of view more than anything else that a move away in the summer wouldn't be the worst thing for either parties.  I wouldn't broom him out the door like McHugh but for me Cadden is no longer an automatic first team pick and it's difficult to see where he fits into the team.  Not technically gifted enough as a winger, not creative enough or enough goal threat for attacking midfield, would need to improve aspects of his game to be a defensive midfielder.  Kinda like Bigirimana in that respect, I'm just not sure where he fits in.

Gorrin has been a huge improvement in the defensive midfield position over McHugh but like Grimshaw I think he needs to keep his form going for the rest of the season.  A couple of games doesn't make a player and we need to demand more consistency right across the board from players but I've been encouraged with what I've seen recently.

• Confused 1

A typical YB post. Not one player in the keep category.......

Your comments on McHugh are well wide of the mark. And why I struggle to take some of your posts seriously. 

Yes he has had his ups and downs but to call him dreadful is disegenious imho. 

Cadden is a strange one. He just has not kicked on the way we would have all hoped. Maybe not playing in his best position has had an effect. But right now out of Cadden, Hastie and Turnbull which 2 would you opt to keep.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

A typical YB post. Not one player in the keep category.......

Your comments on McHugh are well wide of the mark. And why I struggle to take some of your posts seriously. 

Yes he has had his ups and downs but to call him dreadful is disegenious imho. 

Cadden is a strange one. He just has not kicked on the way we would have all hoped. Maybe not playing in his best position has had an effect. But right now out of Cadden, Hastie and Turnbull which 2 would you opt to keep.....

Came on last night, within 10 minutes loses a header and it's 1 each and McHugh is giving it his anguished 'hands on head I fucked up' signature move.

You shouldn't need stats to see what's readily apparent but...

McHugh has started 17 league matches and we've won 4 and kept 2 clean sheets.

He's not started 8 league matches and we've won 5 and kept 4 clean sheets.

There's a reason for that.  He's a liability.

• Haha 1

yabezzer you are unsure or want rid off mchugh which yes he can be liability and football ability not best but he can organise and wins balls.

frear our best player v accies at xmas time and threat from bench every time hes on.

main without doubt is pivotal to our play with 2 wingers.he runs himself into ground and holds ball up every game. as ive said many times if he scored more he would be elsewhere.

grimshaw whilst not greatest 1 on 1 defender his running is great and exciting and i cannot understand doubts

gorrin has been one of catalysts for recent upsurge through always being available and able to go left or right with his switches of play

cadden will play wherever he has to and as seen before his injury he was immense at right back. he could also play in campbell or turnbulls position and whilst he cannot tackle like 1 or as inventive as other his runs provide another option in those roles.

So in short I would definitely want all 6.

our recent play with our 2 wingers is fantastic so robinson deserves huge praise as this was not a formation forced on him with injuries. he put some big experienced players out team and replaced them with youngsters and new formation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

yabezzer you are unsure or want rid off mchugh which yes he can be liability and football ability not best but he can organise and wins balls.

frear our best player v accies at xmas time and threat from bench every time hes on.

main without doubt is pivotal to our play with 2 wingers.he runs himself into ground and holds ball up every game. as ive said many times if he scored more he would be elsewhere.

grimshaw whilst not greatest 1 on 1 defender his running is great and exciting and i cannot understand doubts

gorrin has been one of catalysts for recent upsurge through always being available and able to go left or right with his switches of play

cadden will play wherever he has to and as seen before his injury he was immense at right back. he could also play in campbell or turnbulls position and whilst he cannot tackle like 1 or as inventive as other his runs provide another option in those roles.

So in short I would definitely want all 6.

our recent play with our 2 wingers is fantastic so robinson deserves huge praise as this was not a formation forced on him with injuries. he put some big experienced players out team and replaced them with youngsters and new formation.

I would tend to agree with you, but for me the jury is out for McHugh, Grimshaw and Frear. 

McHugh - Would be a good squad player, can play a few positions but an absolute liability but on his game he’s very good. If he got back to the season that Robinson first came in and earned him his plaudits I’d give him another season. Could probably get better. 

Grimshaw - A decent squad player and can fill a jersey but we could get far better. A decent performer but can be pretty inconsistent but has shown some consistency in the recent run, but would rather have Tait at RB and someone more suited to LB. 

Frear - You never know with Frear, one game he is simply pish can’t beat the man, crosses are wayward and bullied around. Or he can play and absolute tear the other team a new one but he’s still a big shitebag. Would be happy for him to stay as an impact sub but on wages to suit that. But as said before we could get better and players more likely to push into the team.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:14 AM, Joeboy said:

As I said, in the rebuild thread, I'm torn on McHugh.

What we have to consider is that given he signed his current contract at the start of last season, it's a captain and first choice central midfielder's contract. The wages in that won't reflect a backup centre half, which is the circumstance I would keep him in.

Good player to have about the squad, but I'd only keep him if the wage of his new contract reflects his current role in the squad.

Thats my view too. 

does anyone have the time to put in a minutes played v goals/assists for Frear?

It's something I was saying the other day I'd like to see, I get it will be skewed by his horrendous time at LWB but I am a fan of Frear in general. Maybe due to his amazing start with us.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

does anyone have the time to put in a minutes played v goals/assists for Frear?

It's something I was saying the other day I'd like to see, I get it will be skewed by his horrendous time at LWB but I am a fan of Frear in general. Maybe due to his amazing start with us.

I was thinking this after last night. Frear has his critics but in the five games since Ariyibi arrived, Frear has contributed 2 assists (3 if you include winning a penalty against Dundee) and Ariyibi has none. Not slating Ariyibi here as I think he has offered something but at a time when statistics are used to criticise certain players, feel as if some tend to ignore the contribution of Frear as it perhaps suits an agenda...

• Like 3