Turnbull/Lambert

livivoice

Not wishing to run too far ahead of ourselves but its interesting how many supporters [ of a certain age] are seeing a similarity in style between David and a young Paul Lambert. His poise, guile, distribution and ability to play with his head up are examples given.

Some go further saying that David`s comfort in shooting from distance puts him ahead of Lambert who seldom threatened from outside the box.

For my part I see the resemblance but can also see a bit of Gary Mc Allister.

Whatever, its just a joy to have him on our books.

• Like 1

McAllister is easily the most successful player to have come through the ranks in my time watching the team. He always looked the part and obviously had the application to make the most of his talent. I'm sure winning his first league title with us set him on his winning ways :lol:

He played a bit higher up the park for us than Turnbull does, but I can see the many of the same attributes in both players - especially their ability to find a pass, and make them look easy.

Turnbull defintely looks like the real deal. He has so much composure on the ball for someone his age. He rarely looks flustered. The fact that he is already being mentioned alongside the likes of Lambert and McAllister is about as big a compliment as you can get. I think another 18 months in our first team and he will be in line for a big money move. Be brilliant to see him make it on the big stage and starting for Scotland.

• Like 1

yep agree with mcallister comparisons. he doest look fast on the ball but theres no doubt he is as opposition cant get near him. his thought process already at 19 is in front of anyone else on same pitch as him last 5 games. Last night he done i think 3 little flicks over defenders heads .when was the last time or ever a Well player has done that. top talent and along with hastie has us excited. biggest 2 youth prospects and on same level at this age as mcfadden i feel. hope they go on to be as good as him for us and themselves.

Lambert was a great player and along with Tommy Coyne is probably my favorite Motherwell player of all time.  If DavidTurnbull can get close to that standard we have some player on our hands.

Did Lambert not score a couple of 20 yard belters at Ibrox in his time with us? I'm sure he scored one, maybe two. My memory is not what it was.

23 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Last night he done i think 3 little flicks over defenders heads .when was the last time or ever a Well player has done that. 

My Dad told me Johnny Aitkenhead took the p*ss out of Corky Young at Ibrox in this manner in the early 1950s. Different game then, only posting to prove to my Dad that I was listening.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, star sail said:

Lambert was a great player and along with Tommy Coyne is probably my favorite Motherwell player of all time.  If DavidTurnbull can get close to that standard we have some player on our hands.

Did Lambert not score a couple of 20 yard belters at Ibrox in his time with us? I'm sure he scored one, maybe two. My memory is not what it was.

The only goal I can mind him scoring for us was a nice 1-2 against Aberdeen at home, the same game that Davies and Coyne combined for a cheeky free kick routine.

He scored 5 more, but I can’t remember any of them. He did score some screamers for Celtic.

3 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Agree totally. My comment wasn't a crticism. He was one of those rare players who just made the game look so easy

I didn't take it as a criticism. I have no issues with guys like McAllister (or Cooper or Russell or Turnbull or Law etc.) not getting stuck in when they lose the ball. McAllister had Mauchlen beside him to do the tackling while he did the passing - a combination so good, Leicester signed them both together. It's all about the balance.

I agree with the main points that have been posted about Turbull, ie composure on the ball, ability to pick a pass, and to shoot. The one thing I’d like to see more of is for him to get about the park a bit more, in order to get on the ball more and do what he does best. I’m not saying he’s Ross Forbes or anything, but that I think is what he has to work on to get to the real top level. Time’s on his side... hopefully can develop that with us. 

• Like 1

The same thing happened to me at Cappielow. Had been giving big 'Softy' pelters all game - he got the ball about 30 yards and like you I roared SHOOOT. Well you know what's coming next, he nearly took the goals, net and everything away with a worldly. Turned, ran half the length of the park to give me the fingers :doh::lol::lol:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

The same thing happened to me at Cappielow. Had been giving big 'Softy' pelters all game - he got the ball about 30 yards and like you I roared SHOOOT. Well you know what's coming next, he nearly took the goals, net and everything away with a worldly. Turned, ran half the length of the park to give me the fingers :doh::lol::lol:.

I remember walking with my pals through Stirling town centre one afternoon when I was 13 or 14 (around '94), giving it "theres Mark Hateley"  and laughing when we saw a tall guy with a baldy/mullet combo, "theres Basile Boli" when we saw a big bald Black guy, etc. Being a Well fan,I shouted "theres John Philliben" when I saw a guy who looked like Softy, only for the actual guy to turn round and say "its Mr Philliben to you, ya wee prick!" lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

A wee story on the BBC about Turnbull.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47272296

Contains this gem, courtesy of Neill McCann:

Turnbull was getting hounded at the start of this winning run by fans because he was putting his foot on the ball and it was a bit different. But Stevie was brave enough to let him do it.

McCann is even more clueless as a pundit than he was as a manager.:dontknow:

• Like 1