2018/19 Game 26: Hearts (H) Sunday 17th February 12.15pm Kick Off

Andy_P

We're probably slightly unlucky to have come away with 3 losses from the Hearts game so far. The first league game was a 0-0 game settled by a freak goal, and we were well in the LC tie. Tynecastle away last time should probably have been called off for crimes against humanity.

6 wins on the trot would be ridiculous, can see us ending up with a score draw.

2-2 (Main, McCormack)

23 hours ago, superward said:

McCormack out with a calf strain

Aldred touch and go with an ankle knock. 

Is it just me that thinks the signing of an unfit and injured McCormack may not be as good s bit of business as we first though. At this rate we will be lucky to get any impact from him in what's left of the season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Is it just me that thinks the signing of an unfit and injured McCormack may not be as good s bit of business as we first though. At this rate we will be lucky to get any impact from him in what's left of the season.

I must admit I was pretty excited at the signing with lots of talk about his quality, there are times i’ve actually forgotten he is even with us. Pretty shocked at his condition when I first saw him, he just looked a million miles away.

I don’t think it’s just his fitness. I actually cannot see for the life of me where this McCormack fits into the current formation and style of play. 

Also he actually has hardly touched the ball in all of his appearances to date. I would have expected more from his cameos and a least some evidence of his quality. 

I also was excited by the signing but again it’s looking pointless. Decent wedge of wages no doubt to warm (a fair portion) of the bench. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

He is not even making the PNE squad these days , think he might be injured, that said he would  probably still be a better option than Main :D

He has a hamstring injury that flared up when he was doing his warm up before the Stoke game last month. Out for a few weeks.

I see that other results today haven’t really helped our cause and we are back in eighth place before we have kicked a ball. A salient reminder that it is what we do that matters and we just need to keep our heads down and concentrate on our next match. Hopefully we can keep the run going and make it six in a row. I have to admit that it will be all the sweeter as I have no affection for Hearts and haveway too many grudges against them to ever see that changing.

Hearts have hit a patch of good form like ourselves but I've really not been impressed with them this season.  They only beat us at Fir Park due to a McHugh clanger and the league match at Tynecastle was the absolute definition of utterly turgid high ball football.  And if it's not excusable for Motherwell to play like that, Hearts should be three times as ashamed. 

Hearts have only won 1 of their last 16 matches when they have conceded and as all their best players are defenders, with the exception of Naismith, I think that's going to be the key factor in this match.

Our attackers - Akibiyi, Turnbull, Hastie, Main - will have to over come Souttar and Berra, likely be their toughest test so far, but if we can do that and score, we should get something out of the match.