2018/19 Game 26: Hearts (H) Sunday 17th February 12.15pm Kick Off

Andy_P

26 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Fair play to you mate - if you can guarantee a victory every time you're up - I'll buy the season ticket :P

That was a very pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon :D

Nice one, I might end up taking you up on the offer after today’s experience. Atmosphere was great and Well fans really get behind their team, which sadly doesn’t happen south of the border now. 

We did really well to defend against a very direct Hertz team (funny how the media don't describe them as such). Dirty big Ukpezia (or what ever he is called) and diving little Naismith. Could not have been a better outcome and to hear Levein so down has made my day. 

On to us we certainly put a shift in and were always in the game. A point would have been acceptable but you have to buy a ticket to win it and well done Turnbull for giving it a go. What a goal from Hastie (the Bale DVD is in the post Jake). Very entertaining and Robinson deserves credit for giving the youth a chance. So exciting to go to Fir Park again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haggischomper said:

Most satisfying win of the season thus far, for me.

Imagine if we had a decent striker!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think Main deserves lots of credit for his graft. He isn't banging in the goals but he chases every ball and gives centre backs a nightmare. Only an online clearance denied him a goal today.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gullane said:

I think Main deserves lots of credit for his graft. He isn't banging in the goals but he chases every ball and gives centre backs a nightmare. Only an online clearance denied him a goal today.

And a lot of the balls that get sent his way are pretty much uncontrollable.

• Like 1

Interesting thoughts on the red card.

Michael Stewart - "For me Garrucio makes a perfectly good tackle and wins the ball, maybe not a feee kick never mind the red card."

Craig Levein - "Putting my old-school hat on, I thought Garuccio won the ball. Taking a step back and thinking what constitutes a red card in modern football, he's gone with two feet off the ground. I find it very difficult to defend him"

Never thought I'd see Levein be the voice of reason on that incident.

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Interesting thoughts on the red card.

Michael Stewart - "For me Garrucio makes a perfectly good tackle and wins the ball, maybe not a feee kick never mind the red card."

Craig Levein - "Putting my old-school hat on, I thought Garuccio won the ball. Taking a step back and thinking what constitutes a red card in modern football, he's gone with two feet off the ground. I find it very difficult to defend him"

Never thought I'd see Levein be the voice of reason on that incident.

Michael Stewart is a twat.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ropy said:

Didn’t think it was a red at the game, in fact I thought Grimshaw was in danger of a card as he had overrun the ball, but having seen the lunge on the telly I can understand the sending off.

Aye, that's what they mentioned on the MFC TV commentary - that in those situations it's often the guy that overruns the ball that lunges after it and ends up with a card.

Regardless of what you think about them, with the rules as they are, I can see why a red card was given. 

When I saw the free kick side on, it looked a bit weak. From behind, though, it looked more impressive and really had the keeper scrambling.

He still should have saved it, but the fact he had to make up so much ground made it just that bit less routine.

Loved that today. Beating Hearts with a last minute goal was the perfect start to a Sunday. 

Naismith is a good player, a lovely fella off the pitch who does a lot for charity..... however he is a horrible dirty cheating little bastard on the pitch. An odious prick. Seeing him missing that chance before we scored was joyous. 

Grimmy getting right into his mince after the winner and also on the full time whistle was just tremendous. Get Grimmy a new contract. 

Hastie scores another belter but to me David Turnbull was again a class above. His ability to find space with the ball and his range of passing is a pleasure to watch. Let’s enjoy this lad while we have him as he will make it to the very top. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shotts Well Fan said:

We did really well to defend against a very direct Hertz team (funny how the media don't describe them as such).

Not sure we did defend that well, although I wouldn't say we defended poorly.  Hearts found plenty of space on our flanks and our defence sat too deep at times.  We also failed to track runners a good few times.  Agree 100% about Hearts' long ball tactics though, which as you say the media will ignore.  

A very tight game which arguably should have ended in a draw, but we lost a few games like that early in the season, so I'm not complaining.   That said, we did create the better chances. Good to beat Hearts especially with a late late goal.  I have to say though that Hearts were a cynical streetwise bunch, which is exactly what we expect from a Craig Levein team.   Probably the worst display of diving I've seen all season.  For such big lads, they went down very very easily, but don't expect the media to highlight that.  Nick Walsh looked out of his depth and got decisions wrong from start to finish.  Can someone explain why he booked Gorrin for persistent  fouling (4 fouls) whilst Ikpeazu committed 5 fouls without being booked for the same offence?  Another case of inconsistency from our officials. 

Overall though we played well with no weaknesses and I thought we were the side to tried to play football.  Hastie took his goal very well indeed although he drifted out of the game in the second half.  Turnbull again looked assured in the middle and it was great to see him score the rather fortuitous winner.  Campbell and Gorrin had reasonable games but struggled a bit at times to compete against far bigger and heavier opponents.  Ikpeazu's bulk and strength caused us problems at times although nothing much came of his efforts. 

What was really encouraging was to see 4 Academy graduates (Scott, Hastie, Turnbull and Campbell) all on the pitch at the final whistle.  This is exactly what our business model is based on and with more youngsters waiting for their chance the future looks bright.  Our change of playing style is like a breath of fresh air.  A good day at the office. 

We have taken stick for the best part of two seasons now for being direct and physical yet Hearts are now doing exactly the same + moaning at every decision and diving at the slightest touch yet the media are hailing them for getting back on form now that Ikpeazu and ( Moaning face diving wee B ) Naismith are back.  Ikpeazu to me is the rich mans  Dolly Manga all muscle and power and very little ability.

Their fans also showed their class today by chanting and singing while Well fans are paying tribute to fans we have lost recently. As the saying goes FHW !!!!!

Now Michael Stewart and Thomson on Sportscene  saying it wasn't a red card and might even have not been a foul. Even Levein saying he didn't think he could defend the tackle.

All in all a terrific result especially given the circumtances. 

I think that should give Scott some more confidence.  1-1 in a game we really want to win and the manager pulls off Main and puts him on.  A lot different than coming on the last 10 mins in a game that is already won.  I’d like to see him get longer timebin a game and give him a chance to show what he can do 

5 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Their fans also showed their class today by chanting and singing while Well fans are paying tribute to fans we have lost recently. As the saying goes FHW !!!!

To be fair, even Lewis Irons on MFC TV comms had no idea that's what was going on, so I wouldn't really expect most Hearts fans to know either.

10 hours ago, numpty said:

To be fair, even Lewis Irons on MFC TV comms had no idea that's what was going on, so I wouldn't really expect most Hearts fans to know either.

That's shocking from Irons then as even the lead commentator on BT Sport did enough research to realise that was why