2018/19 Game 26: Hearts (H) Sunday 17th February 12.15pm Kick Off

Andy_P

8 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

That's shocking from Irons then as even the lead commentator on BT Sport did enough research to realise that was why

Perhaps more surprising than shocking. He is now full time at the SFA and not MFC. I knew there would be applause on 22 and 44 minutes but not the thunderclap. I thought it was a good tribute and it is just a real shame any tribute was required at all. 

As to the match itself. Delighted with the performance and effort from the whole team. Hearts are more experienced and more physical outfit, but for the most part we held our own and created some v good chances against a top 6 side with a big gap in resources. 

The winning goal when it came was just desserts for a couple of the narrow defeats we have had v Hearts this season. Turnbull free kick looked tame enough but from the angle behind the goal it was a swerving free kick and whilst it might not have had a lot of pace it sure had a lot of swerve and added with the windy conditions led to the goalie mucking up. It was a bad mistake but actually think Turnbull deserves a lot of credit apart from the fact he had a v good game. 

Hastie scoring another beauty is brilliant but worries me that even the old firm fans are now jumping on the sign him bandwagon. Robinson has said we have made him our best offer. I am quite sure his agent will have been inundated these past few weeks. He has said himself he wants to stay but one wonders why if that is the case the contract remains unsigned.....

6 wins in 6 is brilliant. Long odds against 7 given our next opponents but would settle for a draw or giving them a tough game and moving on. Again I think Killie away will be another marker of how far this team has come and potential for next season. 

As others have said it was a very well placed free kick from Turnbull, if lacking in a bit of power. 

A real piece of skill.  Surprised at the debate on Sportsound (I really ought to know better) about the merits of the red card.  Both Michael Stewart and Steven Thomson said it wasn't a red card.  Where have these pundits been for the past couple years?  They're paid to be knowledgeable about the game.  It took the anchorman to mention "excessive force".  I thought this issue had been done and dusted a year or two ago after a couple of similar red cards for Carl McHugh.  I don't recall the media questioning those decisions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

As others have said it was a very well placed free kick from Turnbull, if lacking in a bit of power. 

A real piece of skill.  Surprised at the debate on Sportsound (I really ought to know better) about the merits of the red card.  Both Michael Stewart and Steven Thomson said it wasn't a red card.  Where have these pundits been for the past couple years?  They're paid to be knowledgeable about the game.  It took the anchorman to mention "excessive force".  I thought this issue had been done and dusted a year or two ago after a couple of similar red cards for Carl McHugh.  I don't recall the media questioning those decisions.

Having seen Turnbull's free kick again, he does shape it beautifully and it is spinning wickedly. Just before the kick is taken the keeper is squinting into the sun too, so perhaps it was not such a howler. He had a couple of great saves earlier but that's the lot of the goalie.

I  was frankly baffled by the comments from the two resident Couch Potatoes on the sending off. They should have listened to the post-match comments from Craig "Laughing Boy" Levein, who criticised the tackle.  How strange the BBC chose not to air them. 

51 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Stewart also said after Celtic game he did not know if Brown will miss next weeks game as was 2 yellows not a straight red so that’s the depth of his football knowledge,  as it’s still a sending off so of course he will miss next week .

Not entirely, 2 yellows is usually a ban starting 7 days from the offence, Straight red automatically misses next game no matter when it is

5 hours ago, Electric Blues said:

The more times I see that winning goal the more I'm reminded of Shane Warne's dismissal of Mike Gatting with "the ball of the century" at Old Trafford. The expression of disbelief on Gatting's face looked strangely familiar too.

Explains why he spent half the game rubbing the ball on his crotch. 

11 minutes ago, ScottW1886 said:

The chants of "he's deid" during the thunderclaps were disgusting, the fact that there are Hearts fans laughing about it online is even more disgusting...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but personally I'm never sure it's such a good idea to try to do these sorts of things during a game. Of course in a perfect world there's no reason not to, and there's never any excuse for that kind of behaviour. But unfortunately most supports probably do have an element that's capable of behaving like that, and you just can't predict what might happen on the pitch to rile them, or even just distract our own fans, before or during whatever was planned.

• Like 1