Gordon Banks

Winning by Name

I see Gordon Banks has died.

Does anyone still remember the display he put on at Fir Park in the original Texaco Cup? Is anyone still alive from then?

It was an amazing display even though Motherwell won 1-0 with a bit flooky Johnnie Goldthorpe goal.

He didn't play in the second leg which went to penalties and our own Keith Macrae turned into the hero.

Two fantastic matches!

• Like 1

I was at the game at Fir Park and he was superb. However, from a Motherwell perspective we shouldn’t  forget that a certain Keith MacRae  won the game for us in the away leg penalty shoot out. I’m sure Banks was looking on in awe of the young mans two penalty saves. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

Does anyone still remember the display he put on at Fir Park in the original Texaco Cup? Is anyone still alive from then?

Yes, those were the days.  Great to see the likes of Gordon Banks, Martin Peters (both World Cup winners), Alan Mullery, Martin Chivers, Jimmy Neighbour, Harry Burrows and other giants of that era play at Fir Park

1 hour ago, Winning by Name said:

It was an amazing display even though Motherwell won 1-0 with a bit flooky Johnnie Goldthorpe goal.

He didn't play in the second leg which went to penalties and our own Keith Macrae turned into the hero.

Two fantastic matches!

I was there but can't remember many details.  I think Mike Pejic was at LB for Stoke and Jimmy Greenhoff in midfield. Older readers may also remember Bobby Moore  playing at FP for Fulham and of course a star-studded Spurs team whacked 3-1 by the Good Guys. Favourite quotation from Martin Peters: "Motherwell were all muck and nettles."

I believe this is an expression denoting impoverished  proletarianism.  It made our victory all the sweeter. As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

I was at the game at Fir Park and he was superb. However, from a Motherwell perspective we shouldn’t  forget that a certain Keith MacRae  won the game for us in the away leg penalty shoot out. I’m sure Banks was looking on in awe of the young mans two penalty saves. 

Not to forget he actually scored a penalty himself into the bargain

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Two fantastic matches!

Yes still alive, that was my 1st well game at Fir Park, my mum decided that as I had just turned 9 it was ok for me to go with my uncle, managed to find a space down at the wall so never saw much of the game, but it set me on the Motherwell roller coaster, happy days.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, postiejim said:

I was there ,great crowd and atmosphere , John  Goldthorpe scored the goal ,another poster said it was a bit flukey, my memory of the goal was that it was a good header from Goldthorpe  from a cross or corner . 

I was talking about Gordon Banks, JGs header defected off someone and sent Banks the wrong way. It didn't stop me from celebrating the goal though.

Myself and a couple of pals skipped school and got the Wishaw Branch supporters bus to the second leg at Stoke. Peter Milne and John Ferrier you are now exposed and in trouble with your mums (and the school).

That brought back great memories. Texaco Cup matches,  the days of the old "choir"  standing at the top of the steps and ending up at the bottom of them every time we scored a goal. Happy days!!

Was fortunate to get Gordon Banks' autograph on the match programme as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

Anyone else think the famous save from pele header was savable ? As it was from far out and he  had good sight of it? Just as it was Pele. It dont make it unsavable.Do see he was out if position initiallly. I do admire Bsnks and his achievements.

I have always thought that while it was an excellent save, I have seen as good or better over the years. 

It became iconic for the England fans of course.

In isolation it’s a great save, but no better than some of the great saves we see from all round the world every week these days. It’s mostly the context that makes it memorable... reigning world champions vs best team in the world, Pele persuaded out of retirement to play again (and allegedly shouting “gol!” as he headed it), keeps the score at 0-0 so England still have one hand on “their” trophy, etc.

9 hours ago, The African said:

There is no denying it is a great save. Greatest ever thoughis pure hyperbole. Still, that’s the English for you.

The save from Lee Hollis at Pittodrie would rank higher I reckon - judging by Lee's reaction when he caught the ball, he had no idea that there was a ball in use or even if he was on a football pitch. Remarkable in the circumstances...

I remember the Stoke City game well  ,I was a schoolboy at the time ,and Gordon Banks was my hero.After the game the whole Stoke team walked back from Fir Park to the Garrion Hotel and a group of young 'Well fans walked with them .Gordon chatted with us and when we got to the hotel he signed autographs I still have it to this day.

• 2 weeks later...
In 30 years times my AS Nancy thunder sticks,  unopened in bag, will be worth a fortune.

They are now bottom of the French second tier which seems incredible given where they were 10 years ago. Don't know if that will make your thundersticks even more valuable? ????

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk