2018/19 Game 27: Celtic (A) Sunday 24th February 3.00pm Kick Off

Yabba's Turd

Our record  at  Parkhead  is not the best, but as we are one of the top 6 in form teams in Europe just now, we are capable of going there and getting a result.

Celtics form after a European game, especially an away  match where they will get pumped is not the best so we should get right into them from the start.

A win would be massive but would be happy with a point

We have to see this as a chance to get one over them. Hopefully our youngsters will not have their heads turned by the news in Saturday’s Record that they are up for a move to the tattie bowl. At least we shall not have the unedifying scenes of Scott Brown kicking our boys for ninety minutes,without meaningful sanction.

The only way to play Celtic is to run at their dodgy defence, force them into errors and subsequently un-nerve the whole team. We've done it before. Hastie, Ariyibi and Main have the ability to do this. Campbell and Turnbull can feed them. Alternatively, sit back, admire McGregor and Forrest, and concede 3-4.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gullane said:

The only way to play Celtic is to run at their dodgy defence, force them into errors and subsequently un-nerve the whole team. We've done it before. Hastie, Ariyibi and Main have the ability to do this. Campbell and Turnbull can feed them. Alternatively, sit back, admire McGregor and Forrest, and concede 3-4.

Absolutely agree with this.

We may still get beaten but this is the way to have the best chance of gaining something.

30 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

Absolutely agree with this.

We may still get beaten but this is the way to have the best chance of gaining something.

Awaits inevitable 6-0 defeat and board meltdown because we "should've just parked the bus to keep our run going"....

• Like 1

Brown being suspended for this is actually unfortunate. Celtic are a better side without him. 

Would prefer our midfield being able to pressure him than dropping McGregor back.

However we should have absolutely no fear ahead of the game. Our lads are on a high and this is a game for nothing. 

Get right in about their mince. Put them under pressure and anything can happen. 

It’s effectively a free hit at them. No one expects us to come away with anything from Parkhead. They have been in great form, not conceding a domestic goal in 2019. However, they have got a hard game on Thursday but hopefully they can get the 2-0 victory they need and take the game to extra time and penalties.

Hopefully after that, the last thing they will want is Arriybi and Hattie running at them.

I’m quietly confident. So much so that I’m swithering about whether to go to the game. It sounds mental but the thought of watching #youngmotherwell is exciting enough, irrespective of the result.

Heart says 2-1 Well.
Head says 2-1 them.

It’s a free go, goal difference doesn’t even matter anymore, and there is no reason to rest or hold back anyone, so let’s have a go.

However, it is Celtic away, and deciding to have a go doesn’t automatically mean we’ll suddenly terrorize them on the wings and make chance after chance just because we decided to, since Celtic will also have a say. 

I’m hoping we can keep it tight early on and get the ball to the wingers, and it will be interesting to see how Gorrin and Turnbull do, but this is the game where we’ll need Main to take the one chance he gets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Scottish teams give them too much respect  and sit off them, get right in about them from the start and they are vulnerable, their defence is average at best.:nod:

Aye that Tierney's a no-hoper.

I'm quite happy for us to take our free shot at them and see how it goes - and it could be a great game if we maintain our current form. But the fact they have won every home game this season shows how big a task this will be.

58 minutes ago, weeyin said:

... the fact they have won every home game this season shows how big a task this will be.

Agreed. I would say it’s almost impossible.  Although, never say never I’ve been to too many games against the Old Firm where it’s been a foregone conclusion and we have defied the odds. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Aye that Tierney's a no-hoper.

I'm quite happy for us to take our free shot at them and see how it goes - and it could be a great game if we maintain our current form. But the fact they have won every home game this season shows how big a task this will be.

Tierney has been out injured since December he might be fit enough to start on Sunday according to Rodgers but that's not definite, granted he is their best defender but the rest are average.

Sit back and let them play and we will get pumped but if we get forward,and press them particularly down the wings we can keep the likes of Forrest and McGregor under control . It will be tough but they are beatable.

As I said, I'm looking forward to us having a go - but I'm pretty sure other teams have tried similar tactics in the past few seasons with various levels of success.  

We did OK in our 1 - 1 draw at Fir Park and I'd be delighted if we pulled that off this time,

I’m hoping that Hastie and Ariyibi will get a lot more room to run at the defense, more so than against teams  we have played recently. I think if Celtic are pressing us hard our 2 wingers could cause them problems on the counter attack given a lot of space to work with and get in behind them.  But been a Motherwell fan too long so you know I am dreading this game expecting to be brought back to earth with a bang after such a good run but you just never know.  Probably by 2.55 on Sunday i’ll Be convinced we are going to win by 3 goals :clapping:COYW

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Sit back and let them play and we will get pumped but if we get forward,and press them particularly down the wings we can keep the likes of Forrest and McGregor under control . It will be tough but they are beatable.

I don't know, whilst obviously Celtic's attack will likely be as tough as we've faced recently it may be no bad thing if we allow them possession of the ball - to a point - and have the likes of Ariybi and Hastie ready to counter, if we can regain possession ourselves.  We've done pretty well of late through swift counter attacks and I wonder if a stretched Celtic rearguard, potentially lighter in numbers, might offer us our best opportunity rather than piling everyone forward and getting done on the break ourselves.

If we go in with the right attitude then we can put on a much better performance against this mob than in recent games and maybe get a result.    At the same time I am not expecting anything but I don't think the young lads will play with any fear.