2018/19 Game 29: Hamilton (H) March 9th 3pm kick-off

Yabba's Turd

3 minutes ago, numpty said:

Livi doing us a nice favour too, after St Johnstone led early on.

Don't speak too soon. Livi are still just three points behind us, with a  better goal difference. Shame we didn't bang in another 4 or 5 in the second half but, hey, mustn't grumble. ;)

That was pretty easy, and could have been a lot more if we were sharper on the counter attack. They had their spell but did nothing outside of long range efforts.

Dont think there were any bad performances in there, but the midfield three were dominant in the first half, with Campbell being solid for the whole game. 

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

If this game has proved anything, it’s that we’re a good striker away from being quite a decent top six side

I always thought Danny Johnson is a decent striker. Remember we've got the £12m man still trying to get fit..................

15 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

I always thought Danny Johnson is a decent striker. Remember we've got the £12m man still trying to get fit..................

Oh yes, again i’d forgotten he was at the club. 

It's strange but I can't remember us going in at half time with a good lead and coming out 2nd half and really building on that.  We nearly always switch off and that's what happened today.

It was a bit too easy today and the game was effectively won in the first 15 minutes.  Some good individual performances but I didn't think we really linked up as a team today except in a couple of spells, even first half there were a few fallow periods and while we looked comfortable enough there was a lack of impetus but that was probably down to having the points in the bag early in the match.

Ariyibi was great in the first half, thought Gorrin had an excellent match and was a bit puzzled why he was the first to come off, Turnbull is just a classy operator.  But Main  wasn't good enough again and Johnson looked rather rusty, perhaps understandable since he hasn't played since December.

Hastie and Turnbull have scored 10 of our last 15 league matches and while it's great they are scoring I think it points to the importance of them in this run.  Take them out and maybe we are struggling a bit because the rest of the team and in particular the forwards aren't scoring.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's strange but I can't remember us going in at half time with a good lead and coming out 2nd half and really building on that.  We nearly always switch off and that's what happened today.

It was a bit too easy today and the game was effectively won in the first 15 minutes.  Some good individual performances but I didn't think we really linked up as a team today except in a couple of spells, there were a few fallow periods where we looked comfortable enough but lack maybe a little bit of impetus but that was probably down to having the points in the bag early in the match.

Ariyibi was great in the first half, thought Gorrin had an excellent match and was a bit puzzled why he was the first to come off, Turnbull is just a classy operator.  But Main just wasn't good enough again and Johnson looked rather rusty, perhaps understandable since he hasn't played since December.

I think gorrin was taken off because he was booked. 

Probably harsh to say main wasn't good enough to be fair,  yes in terms of goalscoring be is nowhere near good enough but I don't think we would have won 7 out of the last 9 playing that system and having Johnson up top. 

4 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

Have to say Curtis Main has had a poor season. Pretty certain he'll be away at the end of it.

Probably for the better. You can’t question is work rate but he’s not quite got the quality in front of goal to be an spfl striker imho

1 minute ago, Bart Verheul said:

I think gorrin was taken off because he was booked. 

Probably harsh to say main wasn't good enough to be fair,  yes in terms of goalscoring be is nowhere near good enough but I don't think we would have won 7 out of the last 9 playing that system and having Johnson up top. 

I agree to an extent with that.

However I think it's maybe time to give James Scott more starts.  He does some things well but 3 goals in 35 starts from Main is just not good enough for a forward player. 

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

However I think it's maybe time to give James Scott more starts.  He does some things well but 3 goals in 35 starts from Main is just not good enough for a forward player. 

I agree with you that Scott should be given more opportunities. I also agree that main's goalscoring record is nowhere near good enough but the system we have been playing forgives that more, especially when he holds the ball up and brings others into play like he can. 

If we are going to persist with this system then Johnson would be aswell leaving as he will never ever fit the criteria needed.  Today looked like Robinson knew the game was won and was almost challenging Johnson to prove he can play in that system and put himself back in front of Scott in the pecking order. 

Trying to find a striker who can do all the things main does well and score goals will be very hard with our finances so Scott should be given the chance to try and make that spot his own for next season. 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'm not convinced that James Scott will be the answer up front but the club clearly feels he could be. Therefore my only frustration today was the fact that we didn't give him half an hour against a dreadful defence. Strikers are judged on goals so the sooner he gets his first goal, surely the better. Bringing him on the same time as Frear with both of them having something to prove might have given us fresh momentum in the second half...

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

Probably for the better. You can’t question is work rate but he’s not quite got the quality in front of goal to be an spfl striker imho

disagree totally with this. the reason turnbull and hastie have all the goals is a lot of the time linked to the work curtis does occupying the opposition defenders. we are a team and we have won 7 drew 1 and lost 1 of our last 9 with mostly same 11 every week.

Some of you must be fakn mental to want change. 

I think we can beat anyone with that 11 and curtis is a huge part of how we play

• Like 5

The thing is though, the team is winning, and we all know that you don't tinker with a winning formula. Scott can only come in if  we lose out on the run in for the top six. Until then he may get minutes towards the end of each game or if Main gets injured.

Really enjoyed watching the first half today, thought we were excellent, most mentions have been for our midfield to forward guys, thought Tom Aldred and Grimmy were superb today, well done boys COYW....top six here we come

1 hour ago, Bart Verheul said:

If we are going to persist with this system then Johnson would be as well leaving as he will never ever fit the criteria needed.  Today looked like Robinson knew the game was won and was almost challenging Johnson to prove he can play in that system and put himself back in front of Scott in the pecking order. 

A strange substitution I thought. Johnson is not cut out for the lone striker role.  I assume, ostensibly like you, that he was introduced for his benefit and not the team's. Presumably to give him game time.

22 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A strange substitution I thought. Johnson is not cut out for the lone striker role.  I assume, ostensibly like you, that he was introduced for his benefit and not the team's. Presumably to give him game time.

The game was done. We were giving him a run out to test him there again.

4 hours ago, gaz7 said:

disagree totally with this. the reason turnbull and hastie have all the goals is a lot of the time linked to the work curtis does occupying the opposition defenders. we are a team and we have won 7 drew 1 and lost 1 of our last 9 with mostly same 11 every week.

Some of you must be fakn mental to want change. 

I think we can beat anyone with that 11 and curtis is a huge part of how we play

And what happens if Hastie leaves and perhaps someone comes in for Turnbull in the summer or he picks up an injury?

The answer is we have a team that doesn't score again.

We are doing well but there will always be areas that can be improved upon and I'm afraid Main is the one most would point out.  No one is saying he doesn't contribute but his scoring record is fairly pathetic and it's not like he's not had chances, he's had plenty chances and fluffed most of them. 

Maybe someone else can come in and contribute what Main provides and be a better source of goals?  I don't think it's beyond the bounds of imagination to believe so.

Before our good run we had plenty people on here saying our mediocre league position and poor performances were as good as we could do given the budget, small club, players etc.  That's turned out to be a lot of hooey.  You should always be trying to improve and the fact that we've picked up form doesn't mean we can sit back and relax. 

We should always be looking to identify where the team can be strengthened and aspiring to be better.

• Thanks 1

A remarkably easy win which I wasn't expecting.  That coupled with St Johnstone's loss helped our league position. Overall a great team effort and we won the game in the first half hour or so.  Thanks are also due to Accies for making the game a little bit more interesting by electing to make us play to the Knowetop end at KO. Try as I might, I can't recall the last time that we had  to do that. It seems strange to say it but we didn't carry much good luck today and didn't get the break of the ball.  That and poor finishing kept the score line down and had we won 6 or 7 nil Accies could not have complained.   Alex Gorrin gets my MOTM award just ahead of David Turnbull.  He competed well, looked comfortable on the ball and can set up attacks in other words a very good all round midfelder, something we've lacked for years. Noticed he was wearing a large ice pack on his knee at full time.  Turnbull again looked very composed on the ball and his distribution was excellent.

The second half was a disappointing non event but thats can happen when a team is comfortably ahead at half time.  Accies changed things a bit after the break, upped their game and we took our foot off the gas and looked somewhat half hearted. Robbo was visibly disappointed at our second half display and with good reason.  We did create chances on the counter attack but failed to convert any of them.  Frear looked lively when he came on but his final ball was more than often poor.  Apart from anything else, we will clearly need to upgrade our striking department in the summer.

As an aside does anyone know about an altercation betwee an Accies player and fans outside the POD Stand after the game?